136 Guests, 12 Users

Author Topic: motor help and or suggestions  (Read 541 times)  Share 

Offline miller17015

• River Rat
motor help and or suggestions
« on: April 30, 2018, 08:38:09 AM »
 So i have posted before and got some help when asking where to fish with my boat setup but im still leary. Again i bought a 16' semi v styrker lowe with a 20hp mercury motor, prop. When fishing near liver pool i hit a rock with the prop which was more then enough to worry me it didnt ruin it and props arent to bad to replace i may end up welding a guard for the skag tho. My problem is the prop sits about a foot below the bottom of the boat now i know i wont be dropping the motor and flying up the river in a semi v but i would like to be able to atleast move faster then a slow troll without the worry of hitting rocks. A cowork said he used to just have a guard on his junk motor an when they hit a rock the motor would kick up well that would work but my is console controlled and i dont think it lifts unless it is manually done so that would more then likely damage both prop motor and the boat. When i bout the boat i went with 20hp because most of the lakes here are that not thinking i would fish the river or much larger lakes now i am not sure if i should look into a new jet motor they dealer told me it had to be mercury because that is the controls that were installed, or if even a jet motor would work being it is a semi v. I can put the motor some what down troll up river a little very slow and then drift down while using the trolling motor to nav but it is alot of work avoiding rock. Being i just bought the boat last year and have less then 4hours on the motor i would hate to even think of trading it in i doubt it would even be worth what i owe on it since like cars they lose value the second they leave the lot. I like it because it is a bas boat carpet and live wells with room to move but now im not sure. Even just getting  shorter shaft motor i still worry bout hitting something on the bottom. Any help?

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

motor help and or suggestions
« on: April 30, 2018, 08:38:09 AM »

Offline miller17015

• River Rat
Re: motor help and or suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 08:56:32 AM »
https://bigbeeboats.com/closeout/2017-lowe-stryker-16/
This is almost the same exact boat but mine has a 20hp motor and is a year older if that helps any I just dont know if the semi v is meant for river fishing.

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 09:03:32 AM »
You could just buy a jet bottom and change your prop out if one is made for your motor.  I'm not sure that any are made for that small a motor  Every jet bottom is made by this company, http://outboardjets.com/, no matter what brand of motor.  I don't know what if anything has to be changed but only four bolts hold the jet bottom to the motor.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 09:50:12 AM »
I feel your pain…been there and done that. You want a boat for every situation. You want a boat for power restricted lakes (20hp). You want a boat for zooming down the shallow rock strewn Susquehanna and you don’t want to be replacing/repairing  props every month or two. You don’t want to pay an arm and a leg for a rig.
In the shallow Susquehanna where I fish….Up until the 1970’s or 80’s you could not find a jet motor hardly anywhere. Everyone got around in a 14-16 foot flat bottom or semi-v boat with a 9.9 hp-15hp prop in a tiller configuration. How did they do it? They went slower. They knew the channels. They carried poles in the boat and they poled where it was shallow and they got out and pulled the boat when needed. Nothing fancy.
My first rig was a 14 foot semi-v with a 9.9 hp prop. Can’t tell you how many props I had fixed. I tried all manner of weed guards and rock protectors. Many reduced the thrust and many couldn’t take the punishment. I wanted more.
Then I wanted to spend more time in Canada so I got a deep-v with a 40hp prop. So I couldn’t fish the river very much. So I converted the 40 prop to a 40 jet outboard. So now I’m stuck with a deep V with a jet. I don’t break props but I am limited in shallow water  by the deep V. Oh…and you can break jet intakes…much more expensive than a prop. And…when you get on a weedy lake with a jet the intake clogs and you spend a lot of time cleaning it out.
Your boat is probably rated for 40 horses…but then you would need to spend more bucks and have to use the trolling motor on a limited horsepower lake. On and on and on it goes. What should I do? What is best?
No one can tell you. You’ve got to figure it out and learn to do the best with what you have and can afford.
You have a nice river boat. If you want to concentrate on the Susquehanna…I might suggest turning it into a jet but depending on how heavy the boat is you may not be happy with 20 horses. 20 horses on a bare-boned river boat should do well but your boat might be a lot heavier with all the added bells and whistles. Perhaps the dealer could give you advice on that point.
If you fish lakes as much as the river and want to keep the 20 hp prop then I would keep what I have and learn where on the river you can safely operate the boat.
I know I have not helped but I tried.

Bill

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 09:50:12 AM »

Online stonecat

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 08:55:17 PM »
   Miller,I looked up the link you posted and the Stryker appears to be a MOD-V.Where I fish most jets are mod-v s as opposed to semi-v or deep-v. Looking at their site big bee does not seem to show many jets so it might be good to ask advice from  different dealers before you decide.  https://www.hallsmarine.com/index.htm  sells a lot and they have always been willing to answer any questions I have had.
    I would not try converting the 20 to jet as your boat would be underpowered.30% loss prop to jet[100hp jet =70 prop].
   I think arrowking could tell you the bottom line:are you willing to run an ALMOST  new rig,prop or jet,on the main  branch where youre likely to rattle your teeth once in a while.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 06:15:18 AM by stonecat »

Offline miller17015

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 06:38:26 AM »
The boat model is the same as mine they just have a 9hp motor on that one. I am still up in the air as to what to do they had alot of river boats there when i bought mine flat bottom and jet motors, as of now i think im just gonna look for deeper areas on the river to fish

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 05:55:23 PM »
[quote
    I would not try converting the 20 to jet as your boat would be underpowered.30% loss prop to jet[100hp jet =70 prop].
   I think arrowking could tell you the bottom line:are you willing to run an ALMOST  new rig,prop or jet,on the main  branch where youre likely to rattle your teeth once in a while.
[/quote]

That's about right.  Mines an 80 that is 105 with a prop.  That's why I doubted they make a jet that small.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 05:55:23 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com