Author Topic: Okuma Spinning Rods  (Read 5588 times)

Offline Responsible_Angler

• Please give the fish CPR
Okuma Spinning Rods
« on: March 29, 2017, 09:43:52 AM »
A tackle shop in my area has a 7' MLXF Okuma Dead Eye Walleye Spinning Rod on sale for $47.00.  I know the average price on the internet is $75.00 plus shipping.  I'm pretty confident that if I tell them I will buy a reel from them to go with it they would sell it to me for $37.00. I was wondering if anyone used them or any other Okuma Spinning Rod and what your opinions are on Okuma Spinning Rods.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 09:49:41 AM by Responsible_Angler »

Offline brownmk19

• River Rat
Re: Okuma Spinning Rods
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 08:50:58 PM »
I do not have any firsthand experience with Okuma rods. I do own an Okuma Avenger baitfeeder  spinning reel that I use exclusively for channel cats and I'm very satisfied with it. I think there are a few other folks on here who use the Avenger BF reels for cats and seem pretty happy with them. That's all I can offer. Sorry.

Offline BonScott78

• FISH ON!!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 05:28:22 PM »
I have never owned one, a tad too salty for me BUT...if you can pick up an Okuma spinning rod anywhere for under $50 you should be all over that sale!  I always say, what's one more rod???  ;)
Fishing…The way to a man’s heart is thru his FLY!

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 07:29:38 PM »
Thanks BonScott78, you just about have me talked into it. I drove by the tackle shop today to get gas in my truck and struggled with myself not to turn into their parking lot and buy the darn thing.  I was getting anxiety pains in my chest and everything. I did a lot of research on the internet today and they do use quality components especially on the guide inserts which are ALPS gun smoke stainless steel guide frames with hardened Zirconium inserts. I use braid line so that's a plus.  The rod also has a limited lifetime warranty for what that's worth since rod warranty's don't mean squat now days. But it does sound good.  Tomorrow I might actually pull the trigger and buy it.

Offline BonScott78

• FISH ON!!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 04:27:30 PM »
I was getting anxiety pains in my chest and everything

That made me laugh, good stuff! ;)
Fishing…The way to a man’s heart is thru his FLY!

Offline fishfinder

• fish hard, bend your rod
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 06:50:02 PM »
I agree with BonScott78...if you can get your paws on okuma rod for that price, DO IT!  Lol.  I have an okuma SST ultralight and love it.

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 03:35:32 PM »
Chest pains are gone now.  Decided not to buy a reel so I offered $40.00 and they accepted the offer.  I used it this morning and didn't get one bite on it but I found out it has great sensitivity.  I could feel everything on the bottom.  Only caught fish on my St. Croix Bass X Dropshot Rod. That's another story for a different post.  I have to say the Okuma is a beautiful rod and I love it.