Author Topic: Replacing a guide on a fishing rod. Help?  (Read 2069 times)

Offline brownmk19

• River Rat
Replacing a guide on a fishing rod. Help?
« on: February 20, 2020, 03:45:54 PM »
I recently noticed,  much to my chagrin,  that the ceramic insert on my St. Croix bass rod had popped out of frame, never to be seen again  :'( :-\.  Does anyone know of any person or small business that would replace the insert? Spoke to St. Croix customer service. They were great, and would replace it for free, but I would be responsible for shipping both ways, about $30 round trip. Was wondering if there was a quicker, cheaper local option.  I just need the ceramic insert replaced, not the whole guide
 Thanks

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: Replacing a guide on a fishing rod. Help?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 04:15:27 PM »
... I just need the ceramic insert replaced, not the whole guide
 Thanks

I have made a number of my own rods and visited a number of rod building websites over the years
I have never heard of just the insert being replaced. I do not believe that the insert can be replaced...and if you do find one and glue it in it may just fail again. I believe the entire guide will need to be replaced.
Many local tackle shops provide this service...? Cabela?Bass Pro
If it's a high end St. Croix you may want to send it back.
Where are you located?

Bill
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 04:22:57 PM by DRY »
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline icemole

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 06:39:17 PM »
 As often as I've stepped on rods or bent eyes I've never popped out an insert ... yet LOL.  I have replaced a few tip guides due to wear, but that is simply heating them then removing. To install new guide heat the glue, smear on tip and into new guide, slide on. I let it harden then scrap off excess.

Don't think any of the few shops around me(Berks) do any rod or reel repair anymore. There are a couple of guys that build rods though. I'll need to get a couple rods "redone" soon myself.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 10:23:24 PM »
I have had this problem several times over the years. Rather than sending the rod back for repair ask if they will just send you the correct guide.  I have never been turned down on that.

At that point you need a plan to put it on the rod.  If you don’t care what it looks like you can do it yourself.  It isn’t hard to put on; the part that needs skill/practice is making it look good.  I am lucky that I have a friend who is decent at it but I have done it myself just using braid and nail polish.  That wouldn’t have won any awards but it worked.  You can always pay someone locally to put it on and that shouldn’t cost much.

Offline brownmk19

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 05:38:55 PM »
Thanks for all the advice, I will end up just replacing the entire guide most likely, if I can find someone local to do it, I would prefer that. Not entirely confident on doing it myself. DRY.......I live in NEPA......vicinity of Scranton.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 06:07:05 PM »
... Not entirely confident on doing it myself. DRY.......I live in NEPA......vicinity of Scranton.

I live near Selinsgrove.
If you ever get down this way I would replace it for you. The only guides that I have are Fuji Alconite.
I may not have the same color wrapping thread either  but I think I could get a new guide to look fairly decent.
It might require 2 trips because the epoxy will need to harden while it spins on the dryer for 4-6 hours.

Surely someone in NEPA should be making fishing rods...you may want to check on some of the rod building forums on the internet to see if you can find someone from that area...that may be another option.

Ma and Pa (local) tackle stores should also know local people who make rods.

Bill

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 06:13:32 PM by DRY »
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline brownmk19

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 10:19:02 PM »
DRY, I appreciate the offer, means a lot. I would take you up on it, but that's almost a two hour drive, one way for me......so if I can't find anyone locally I may give you a shout, but I have a couple good leads on folks who can do it locally here. Thanks for everybody's input. Can't wait for the weather to break and get out on the river soon. Tight lines.