Author Topic: Rain and a cold front  (Read 3732 times)

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Rain and a cold front
« on: April 14, 2020, 12:54:10 PM »
We had almost an inch of rain Sunday night into Monday afternoon. I didn't fish Monday.
I went out this AM just to look at the creek without any hopes of doing much. It had come up only slightly and was a little more stained than over the weekend. Although it was colder today 44F the water is in the high 40's to low 50's.

I fished with the stone cattie because it is a natural for this small stream especially when it's a little high and dirty.

Surprise!!   ;)  The first cast landed this nice smallmouth that peaked the scales at 3 lbs.

After 2 hours and a few more nice fish in the 1.5-to 2.5 pound range a decided to make one final cast before leaving.

WOW!! This young lady became airborne 3 times before she listened to my pleas to quiet down  ;D

She tipped the scales at just a little over 4 lbs.

How long will it last? I hope forever.

Bill

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline johnfries7

• River Rat
Re: Rain and a cold front
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 02:46:40 PM »
real nice bill I wish I caught them jf7

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 06:53:37 PM »
NICE! I'm struggling here in VA on my local flow. Catching 1-2 per outing, sometimes getting skunked. Just can't find them or they ain't there. Folks I'm talking to are also reporting low numbers, if any, as well. Water temp has been varying between 55-63 over the past week. Storm yesterday wasn't bad here but the foothills got hammered and river rose 12'-16' in 12hrs, so it's blown out for at least a week. Fingers crossed that once the river settles down the bite will turn on. Keep hammering Bill, enjoying your posts! Our trip for the end of April to return to the Susky is cancelled. We're hoping and planning for a mid Summer and early Fall trip now.
Galatians 2:20

Offline DRY

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 08:22:53 PM »
...Storm yesterday wasn't bad here but the foothills got hammered and river rose 12'-16' in 12hrs, so it's blown out for at least a week. ...Our trip for the end of April to return to the Susky is cancelled. We're hoping and planning for a mid Summer and early Fall trip now.

I was watching the radar Sunday night and it looked like Virginia got a load of rain. By the time it got here it emptied out a little and broke apart.

Sorry to hear your trip won't be. This pandemic is really doing a job on people and the economy. Right now the only way to avoid it is to avoid being around people and it looks like that will be the only way to avoid it until we get a vaccine or enough people get the disease to produce natural "herd immunity." Fishing fits that need to avoid people and I am blessed to be close to some exceptional smallmouth waters, especially at this time of year.

Stay safe. Stay healthy.

Bill

Online Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 04:05:48 PM »
Dry really impressed with the nice fish you are catching. Thank You for sharing.

I got out Tuesday shore fishing but my fishing spot got invaded but a mother and 4 kids. You know kids like to throw sticks and stones in the water.  ;)
I did get to catch one bass about 14" before I left.
This weather has been terrible...mornings have been hovering around 32 degrees and a bone chilling wind.
Water temp has dropped about 5 degrees.
As I'm typing this, heavy snow squall coming through.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 06:59:52 PM »
Dito on thanking Bill for the pics.  I was out working on one of my deer food plots today, reseeding some bare areas and it was cold.  Shortly after finishing that snow squall got here.  I was planning on making a long tow to the Juniata on Monday but now I'm not so sure.  What do you think, Bill?
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Offline DRY

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 08:24:41 PM »
... I was planning on making a long tow to the Juniata on Monday but now I'm not so sure.  What do you think, Bill?

There is always the possibility of catching some fish even when most of them have lock-jaw.
I have had the luxury of being 15 minutes from my nearest trib or from one of 3 Susquehanna boat access areas for the last 40 years. So the decision to go fishing has always been easy even when the likelihood of catching was low.
If I had to drive several hours each way...I may have made different decisions.
Wednesday (yesterday) I spent time on the trib as well as fishing the river and I caught one bass.
The water temperature at Danville rose to 50 F today...but we are going to have some cold nights over the weekend with daytime temps not much above 50...odds of the water warming up are probably slim.
I will probably fish this weekend but if I had to make a long drive...I would give it a second thought.
But then...some of us just have to fish.  ;)  :)
Bill

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 09:38:18 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Bill.  Google maps says that the first public boat launch on the the Juniata is 80 miles and 1 hour and 16 minutes which is only 8 miles further than my usual destination at C I.  I thought it was further. I don't know why I never checked before.  Of course I guess the travel time is down right now due to low traffic.  I guess for now I'll wait and watch your reports.  Thanks again and good luck.

Ken
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Offline DRY

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 11:19:22 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Bill.  Google maps says that the first public boat launch on the the Juniata is 80 miles and 1 hour and 16 minutes which is only 8 miles further than my usual destination at C I.  I thought it was further. I don't know why I never checked before.  Of course I guess the travel time is down right now due to low traffic.  I guess for now I'll wait and watch your reports.  Thanks again and good luck.

Ken

Water temp at Danville dropped 2 more degrees over night...I was fishing the small trib this AM...nada. I am sure some guys will be catching them on the Susquehanna mainstem this weekend... but if you are new to the area and need to explore...it might be better to wait until the fish are happier...unless of course you just have to fish  ;)  :)  then by all means go for it.

Bill

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 07:56:12 PM »
I fished with the stone cattie because it is a natural for this small stream especially when it's a little high and dirty.
How long is the stone cattie?  would like to try on my Ned heads.
Phil

Offline DRY

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 08:49:36 AM »
How long is the stone cattie?  would like to try on my Ned heads.
Phil

Stone cattie - 3 inches

The picture i took was with a 3/16 oz stand-up football jig with a size 1/0 Mustad BLN hook

I think the Ned heads would work well.

Bill

Online Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 11:10:22 AM »
Stone cattie - 3 inches

The picture i took was with a 3/16 oz stand-up football jig with a size 1/0 Mustad BLN hook

I think the Ned heads would work well.

Bill

3" of snow up here overnight  :-[

Dry you seem to have the color locked in. Agree with you on the Ned. Just wonder how slider heads would work?
Might have to give them a try.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 09:49:18 PM »
Many years ago I used slider heads on Madtoms although I was using the Case brand.  I switched the slider rod to shad shape worms and had more success.  Now when I want to throw a Madtom I use a football jighead.