Author Topic: Winter?  (Read 2811 times)

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Winter?
« on: April 16, 2020, 10:10:25 AM »
Things have been tougher the last several days and I think one of the main reasons was the rain and the cold front that came in last weekend. Colder nights are predicted for the next several days so water temps will remain well below the levels of last week as the Danville graph shows....from 55 to 49 is not good for making happy fish.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwisweb/graph?agency_cd=USGS&site_no=01540500&parm_cd=00010&period=7

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Online Pawatch

• River Rat
Re: Winter?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 07:23:20 AM »
The GFS model isn't doing us any favors. It looks like we're not going to see warmer temps for a couple weeks.
I guess we are just going to have to learn to fish under tough conditions. Water temp has dropped about 8 degrees. Which surely can't be making the bass happy.
Today looks like the best day this week.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Offline DRY

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 07:44:35 AM »
Here's the temp graph from Danville

Notice the rapid downward slope  >:(  >:(

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwisweb/graph?agency_cd=USGS&site_no=01540500&parm_cd=00010&period=7

I usually spend a couple hours fishing somewhere every day... because it's my job... ;)  :)  8)

The smallmouth are not...not...not happy.

So you're right...we just wait.

Bill
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 07:46:27 AM by DRY »

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 12:00:19 PM »

I usually spend a couple hours fishing somewhere every day... because it's my job... ;)  :)  8)

Bill

You got that right, don't let us down!!!
Galatians 2:20

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 11:41:42 AM »
Water temps are still down.  We may get some warmer weather by the end of this week and that should get things headed in the right direction.

Will the smallmouth get happy right away or do we need to get up to a certain water temp?

Offline DRY

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 02:10:48 PM »
...Will the smallmouth get happy right away or do we need to get up to a certain water temp?

"If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands"... I haven't heard much clapping yet.

Smallmouth in the trib have not spawned yet...that I know.

One of the triggers to spawn requires consistent water temps around 55-60F...not cold nights and snow showers.

Bill

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 04:27:31 PM »

One of the triggers to spawn requires consistent water temps around 55-60F...not cold nights and snow showers.

I cut grass in the snow on Saturday and opened the pool yesterday.  I am sure the neighbors think I'm nuts but I want this stuff out of the way when the fishing picks up and the crowds dissipate.

Offline troutman

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 09:53:36 PM »
Hey dry since you bought up the spawn let me asked you something about the smallmouth spawn and if you choose to answer it, what do you think the percentage is with the smallmouth spawning up creeks and tributaries verses the main river like behind islands or slow eddies areas. I asked this because my buddy thinks every bass in the river go up creeks to spawn and I think they do both But still wonder about the percentage.

Offline DRY

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 08:36:41 AM »
... what do you think the percentage is with the smallmouth spawning up creeks and tributaries verses the main river like behind islands or slow eddies areas. I asked this because my buddy thinks every bass in the river go up creeks to spawn and I think they do both ...

I couldn't begin to answer with any certainty what the percentage is...but I will say this...

Over the years I have fished the Swatara Creek, the Conodoguinet, Shermans Creek, the Mahantango (below Liverpool), Middle Creek and Penns Creek. I have been amazed at the number of spawning smallmouth in those creeks.

Some very experienced people whom I know claim that it is the smaller tribs that are saving the smallmouth spawn and contributing more and more to the recruitment of smallmouth bass. I can understand that.

One example - I have fished over 40 years along the Isle of Que in Selinsgrove. In the 80's and early 90's you could float the shoreline in your boat and count one smallmouth bed after another. Not any more. That shoreline has been inundated by silt (mud). There are some places I cannot wade anymore for fear of getting trapped in mud up to my knees. That silt extends out quite far and covers the areas that were once the spawning areas. This problem exists all over the Susquehanna river bottom. Eggs and early smallmouth fry cannot survive in mud...they will suffocate. Bass need gravel in which to spawn successfully. Perhaps the tribs are more free of silt and have cleaner bottoms although I see that changing also.

Then there is the question of "intersexing." If male bass don't have effective semen (milt) caused by chemical damage...how successful can spawning be anywhere. There are so many things interfering with a successful smallmouth spawn.

Bill

Offline troutman

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 10:43:29 AM »
thanks bill