Author Topic: I guess I'm spoiled  (Read 568 times)

Online zelmo

• River Rat
I guess I'm spoiled
« on: October 03, 2021, 12:50:21 PM »
Since I retired I have been able to fish during the week and avoid weekends for the most part.  I have enjoyed what most of the time is fishing wherever I want without being crowded t say nothing about less congestion at the ramp.

I usually consider Friday as part of the weekend.  Last week the river had settled down by Thursday but the forecast for wind led me t think Friday was the better day to go out.

Well, the combination of good weather, the river getting in shape, and Friday put many boats on the river.  I launched early and was at the spot I wanted to fish just before first light.  Right at dawn I had a boat come in and cut in right in front of me.  This wasn't a mistake as I was on a drift and it was obvious that was where I was headed.  These J-Asses started casting and drifting fast so I just slowed my drift even more and worked the spot I was at.  When they had moved down a hundred yards I got going again.  I loved it that they weren't catching and I pulled a nice 18" SM out of the spot they had pulled into and struck out.

The rest of the day was spent trying to find spots to fish in peace.  I finally found one where nobody else had interest and I could stay in place and catch.  Over a two hour period I pulled 14 out of that spot.

I'll think twice about going out on a Friday again.

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
Re: I guess I'm spoiled
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 09:32:20 PM »
Zelmo
Fishing during the week sure spoils you. This time of year the weekends can be not that busy.  Tournaments and high water are a bigger problem the last month.

Your catching some decent numbers. Enjoy the fall, the best is coming!
Water temp 58 up here today.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 08:26:02 AM »
This time of year the weekends can be not that busy. 

Ever drive by the Fort Hunter ramp this time of year on a weekend?  :(

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 08:41:23 AM »
My launch
Sunday - full

Saturday morning empty.

Getting the smaller boat around for when the docks disappear. Was just supposed to be sprinkles Sunday morning and I got caught in a downpour :D  bilge works at least.

Since yesterday we have picked up 1.40" of rain and it's still raining.
So all that should be coming your way.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 08:45:21 AM by Pawatch »

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 10:09:39 AM »

Since yesterday we have picked up 1.40" of rain and it's still raining.
So all that should be coming your way.

Grrr.  We didn't get much here, and I didn't know that you did.  Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 12:02:16 PM »

I'll think twice about going out on a Friday again.
Obviously the rules of protocol have changed over the years. I still generally give a football field length. And then fish in the opposite direction.
Fort Hunter is the worst!
The weekend definitely includes Friday and sometimes Monday.
I think sometimes you can get away with a Friday evening because everybody’s taking mama out to supper. Sometime Sunday night also. Everybody’s gearing down except for us retirees 😁
I generally avoid any and all negative interaction, But you know that old Champion will turn on a dime…

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 12:30:39 PM »
Grrr.  We didn't get much here, and I didn't know that you did.  Thanks for the heads up.

Cricks and streams are pretty muddy this morning.

Agreed Phil a lot of people with no respect.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 01:28:58 PM »
This happened to me at Goldsboro, not Fort Hunter.  There is usually a little more etiquette there.  FH has none.

Offline troutman

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 09:41:09 AM »
Well theres two sides to that story some people have to travel far for some good fishing and work all week and really look forward to the one day they get to go but when they get there its crowed and the locals no where the fish are good holes so to say, and then theres the guides who put people on the fish. So i guess we are suppose to yield the best fishing holes to locals and guides even though they fish every day, Now im not saying theres guys that fish with in 12 inches of you there is and it gets me pissed too. But some of these guys thin k they own the water cause they live near by. Fortunately i have a lot of holes that i know so i dont have to fish close to anybody. Now if you think the suskys bad with people getting close to you try salt water fishing during striper season nut house.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 10:29:51 AM »
Well theres two sides to that story some people have to travel far for some good fishing and work all week and really look forward to the one day they get to go but when they get there its crowed and the locals no where the fish are good holes so to say, and then theres the guides who put people on the fish. So i guess we are suppose to yield the best fishing holes to locals and guides even though they fish every day, Now im not saying theres guys that fish with in 12 inches of you there is and it gets me pissed too. But some of these guys thin k they own the water cause they live near by. Fortunately i have a lot of holes that i know so i dont have to fish close to anybody. Now if you think the suskys bad with people getting close to you try salt water fishing during striper season nut house.

I think you need to work on your reading comprehension skills.  There are not two sides to this story.

I never said anything about yielding spots to locals or owning the water.  If I get to a spot first I believe I have the right to fish it without being barged in on.   I choose to fish during the week when there are fewer boats out to reduce the likelihood of issues. 

Even that isn't enough at times.  I was out on a weekday in December a couple of years ago.  There was one other boat on the lake, and he needed to move right up to me and cast to within inches of my boat.  There was just no need for that.

I am going to get pissed off if anybody cuts right in front of me or crowds me at any time no matter who they are. 

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 10:46:45 AM »
Message received! That is a big 10 4
Consideration and respect should have no contingencies!
When I was still working I met a lady who had a little plaque above her desk: "Your mood should not determine your manners"
My Mom would have slapped me for being anything less than considerate!

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 09:55:14 AM »

When I was still working I met a lady who had a little plaque above her desk: "Your mood should not determine your manners"

I like that, Phil.

Unfortunately it is not always mood.  Some people are just self-centered and selfish.  They only care about themselves and the hell with the impact their actions have on others.

Too bad there aren't more mothers like your Mom!

Offline troutman

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 09:30:42 PM »
OK SORRY ABOUT MY UNEDUCATED COMPREHENSION SKILLS AND SORRY IF I OFFENDED YOU, BUT I AM 62 AND ITS TOO LATE FOR ME TO LEARN. SO JUST CONSISTER ME A OLD INCOMPREHENSIBLE FOOL.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2021, 05:46:27 PM »
OK SORRY ABOUT MY UNEDUCATED COMPREHENSION SKILLS AND SORRY IF I OFFENDED YOU, BUT I AM 62 AND ITS TOO LATE FOR ME TO LEARN. SO JUST CONSISTER ME A OLD INCOMPREHENSIBLE FOOL.

OK. I had already figured that out.

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2021, 08:02:41 AM »
Zelmo
That jet of yours pushes a lot of water  ;)