67 Guests, 6 Users

Author Topic: Late Fall Fly Fishing  (Read 1766 times)  Share 

Offline beernut

• River Rat
Late Fall Fly Fishing
« on: November 06, 2016, 10:06:34 AM »
I squeezed in a couple of hours on the river yesterday just before dark.  I couldn't wait to try some new Clouser minnows I tied this week.  The river was still up a bit and still a little muddy, not sure the temp but it's cooled off a lot since the last time I was out.  Still managed to get a couple of smallmouth in the 12-14" range. 

I was kind of hoping to find some walleyes but I am really not sure what type of water to be fishing, was hoping for dumb luck.   ;)  I would really like to catch one on a fly any advice of what type of water to look for would be appreciated.

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Late Fall Fly Fishing
« on: November 06, 2016, 10:06:34 AM »

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
Re: Late Fall Fly Fishing
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 08:31:49 PM »
Nice looking streamers, I don't think I've ever gotten a walleye on a fly.   I haven't been out to wet a line in forever.   

Guys I know that tied the Clouser told me "less is better" the smaller and skinnier the fly the more the bass liked it.  Do you tie or fish wooly buggers ?

Offline beernut

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 10:55:47 AM »
Thanks...I have tried to tie something like a wooly bugger but I don't think I have the right hackles they come out pretty ugly.   ;D  I really don't have any experience fishing them, believe or not I have never fished a sub surface fly until this year.  Just always fished top water for bluegill and bass. I am having a ball tying again and learning new techniques.  HenryDavid your posts have helped me a lot fly fishing the river big THANKS keep them coming.

I was down in the Philly area this week for work and stopped in an Orvis that was near my hotel, the clousers they tied were pretty skinny.  I spent a good amount of time just looking through the flies and have a lot of ideas for some new flies to tie.  I didn't buy anything they are a bit out of my price range, although someday I would love to get one of their rods. 

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 11:25:27 PM »
Ha,  I just like talking about fly fishing, we used to have a few other fly guys on here.  I never owned an Orvis rod, nor have I ever seen anyone I know fish with one. 

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 11:25:27 PM »

Offline afishinado

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 08:04:12 AM »
Ha,  I just like talking about fly fishing, we used to have a few other fly guys on here.  I never owned an Orvis rod, nor have I ever seen anyone I know fish with one.

I'm a fly-guy and check out the site every morning.  In fact, I am a Fly-fishing Manager for an Orvis store in the Philly area.

Hey Beer nut, the uglier a wooly bugger looks...the better.  Also, Clouser minnows work best when tied sparse.

The Susky fished great for SMBs all season.  I fished all along the MS in the Harrisburg area as well as the NB, where I grew up.  I didn't do really well on top with poppers this year, you have to be on the water when the fish are looking up.  But, I caught a whole bunch of bass mostly on buggers and Clousers.

The River is still fishing well, I'll try to get out a few more times before I call it quits for the season.

Good luck to all!

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 11:17:54 PM »
afishinado,  I've seen your screen name on PA-Flyfishing.   We had a professional guide on here that went by zerogravity and my buddy nemo who I haven't heard from in awhile.  I've been pretty sick lately and having vehicle problems, if I get over those issues I just might get out on the susky once or twice before it gets too cold.

Offline afishinado

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 07:38:05 AM »
afishinado,  I've seen your screen name on PA-Flyfishing.   We had a professional guide on here that went by zerogravity and my buddy nemo who I haven't heard from in awhile.  I've been pretty sick lately and having vehicle problems, if I get over those issues I just might get out on the susky once or twice before it gets too cold.

Hopefully both you and your vehicle get fixed quickly....good luck fishing.

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 07:38:05 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2014 SuskyFishers.com