67 Guests, 6 Users

Author Topic: Changing Lures VS. Extra Rods  (Read 581 times)

Offline BonScott78

• FISH ON!!
Changing Lures VS. Extra Rods
« on: August 24, 2017, 11:03:13 AM »
I’ve fished my entire life, but wanted to get some feedback from the other members of this forum…
Are you guys changing lures often throughout the day on one rod, or do you have a few different rods already rigged up in the boat? 

Lately, I’ve been sticking with a crankbait or senko for an extra 20+ casts, even though the fish aren’t presently hitting it and simply because it has worked it that particular stretch of the river before – Call it laziness, or being stubborn maybe…I just hate taking the time away from fishing to tie another lure on…and another…and another…and another…  ;)
Fishing…The way to a man’s heart is thru his FLY!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Changing Lures VS. Extra Rods
« on: August 24, 2017, 11:03:13 AM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: Changing Lures VS. Extra Rods
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 12:05:12 PM »
I’ve fished my entire life, but wanted to get some feedback from the other members of this forum…
Are you guys changing lures often throughout the day on one rod, or do you have a few different rods already rigged up in the boat? 

I usually fish solo even in my boat so I have plenty of room to lay out rods in my 14.5 foot boat.
I have one casting rod rigged with a crankbait or a hard suspending jerkbait.
I have 3 other spinning rods rigged with (1) some type of worm (2) some type of tube bait (3) some type of soft jerkbait or swimbait.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline BonScott78

• FISH ON!!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 02:08:26 PM »
I usually fish solo even in my boat so I have plenty of room to lay out rods in my 14.5 foot boat

Thanks Bill, I think that has a lot to do with it - I usually fish with at least one other person, so once you have two guys worth of gear in the boat "room" begins to run out on ya!  ;)
Fishing…The way to a man’s heart is thru his FLY!

Offline Hobiefish

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 06:01:22 PM »
I'm pretty much like Bill, a casting rod with a crank or spinnerbait, and spinning rods with different size crank or jerk baits. I constantly have to remind myself to check the line above the bait and retie when catching fish, they are rough on the line. I don't think its lazy to have more rods, just plain handy. Sometimes I like to change things up and switch to a lighter smaller outfit with smaller baits.

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 06:01:22 PM »

Offline shiver318

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 06:36:52 PM »
I usually have at least three rods ready to go in the holders, one with favorite crank bait, one with tube and lately my most used one with top water. This week the whopper flopper has been hot in the morning and sometimes all day.

Online dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 06:52:14 PM »
Im going to approach this from a different angle, and that is from a wading stand point. Obviously, 2 hands doesn't do well with 2 rods. But I grew up using snap swivels. I know there are some that say they scare fish off. But if you put a lindy rig on, to attract fish with the movement and flash. The swivel in my mind just produces a little flash. Using a size 12 swivel, has held up to the abuse it gets. Plus I can change out standing in the water quickly. I just need to dig in my vest, for the vast assortment of cranks, soft plastics, spoons, or top water I use and have on my person.

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 07:54:17 AM »
I usually have 3 rods setup.
But I do use these little snap,ring clips for waddling.
I'm not sure what the really are called.They open kinda like a snap cloathspin.
Cheep too.
They work great.
I feel the fish don't even know they are there.
They come in a few sizes.
Good Luck.
If I can ever figure out how to post a pic I'll put a pic up of the clip.
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 08:34:42 AM »
I always have 4 or 5 rods rigged and my buddy Harry always has 5 or 6.  A lot of times I'll have 1 or 2 that I don't even use but Harry on the other hand changes often and ends up retying often.  If something doesn't work for 5 or 10 minuets he changes.  I on the other hand, wait for him to find what works.  I only have one eye and it has a cateract so it's hard to tie something fast when you can't see what your doing.

As you can see in my posts, he catches a lot more fish than me.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 08:34:42 AM »

Offline rabbit

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 02:38:31 PM »
I have 4 rods rigged a light colored tube and a dark colored tube, a large crank bait and a small crank bait.

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 02:38:31 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2014 SuskyFishers.com