122 Guests, 4 Users

Author Topic: Still new to catfishing  (Read 6424 times)  Share 

Offline miller17015

• River Rat
Still new to catfishing
« on: May 14, 2015, 08:52:33 PM »
This is my second season of actually fishing for cats. i jumped into it last year and got two nice channels and handful of bullheads which wasn't bad for the little bit i got to actually fish last summer. i am looking to get out and do some fishing this weekend bank or kayak. im posting here for guidance in a sense i live near harrisburg in cumberland county but i travel to york for work and im looking for places to fish, i more less fish for the sport of it i like catfish but im the only one of my friends that eats fish so a fish fry is out of the question. i fished lake pinchot last year a few times and that is where i caught all my cats at i did try the susky river near new cumberland at a boat lunch but had no luck and ended up losing several rigs. i have little exp. of where to fish on a river for cats. i have a small 12' boat but it is more for calm lakes i also have kayaks and they would work for getting out on the river but id need a really heavy achor to keep me from floating away and they arent the easiest to fish from. so im banking it for the most part. So any help would be great i tried to reach out to people last year but didnt have much luck. i used chicken livers only last year but this fall i saved a deer liver to test and i want to try some sunnies.

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Still new to catfishing
« on: May 14, 2015, 08:52:33 PM »

Offline chrislovefish

• River Rat
Re: Still new to catfishing
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 09:37:10 PM »
Hey if you wanna fish for cats sometime let me know. I live in harrisburg but usually go to york haven. I'm always down for fishing

Offline miller17015

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 09:43:19 PM »
 i fished sat with some deer liver for 3hours not a bite in a lake where i had caught several last year then talked to a guy sun in the rain after loosing my new bass lure he said they in the same lake hammered bull heads do cats prefer chicken over other livers?

Offline miller17015

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 09:44:57 PM »
i took a ride the one day with the dog and looked around there but didnt see anywhere to fish but really didnt get out a walk round plus im not used to the area we did get out an walk around the burner island some but the water was really moving that day and didnt look like it would of been fishable but im down for jumping in an trying new places

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 09:44:57 PM »

Offline FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 10:13:27 PM »
i fished sat with some deer liver for 3hours not a bite in a lake where i had caught several last year then talked to a guy sun in the rain after loosing my new bass lure he said they in the same lake hammered bull heads do cats prefer chicken over other livers?

Chicken livers for channel cats.
FM

Offline miller17015

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 07:32:30 AM »
shame the deer liver stays on the hook much better, someone said chicken hearts also work well. i have a rod for up to i think 20lb line for the channel cats an bullheads i got last year it worked fine but i am wondering if i get into any big channels or flatheads if i will need to upgrade, like i said earlier im fairly new to catfish. i will be most likely stopping at bass pro this week to pick up some new bass lures and maybe a new rod n reel for cats
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:38:30 AM by miller17015 »

Offline FM

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 08:32:33 AM »
Its the chicken blood that attracts the channel cats. The livers happen to hold a lot of it, hearts would work for the same reason and probably stay on the hook better, but are not as bloody. Coagulated chicken blood is supreme if you can find it. The gills will work great live for the flatheads and cut up into chunks for the channel cats.
FM

Offline The_Kid

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 10:41:58 PM »
Yup gills work great alive but also good cut up but so it suckers,  and small carp, and if I can't get fresh bait then I use chicken liver + it's cheap
How am I suppose to be old and wise if I'm not young and crazy?

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 10:41:58 PM »

Offline Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 08:59:06 AM »
I'm new here so reviving some old threads.  I had some luck up at Pinchot on Shrimp, caught a nice channel cat.  I'm planning to go up tomorrow morning with my kids and try a new spot, going to use shrimp and hotdogs with jello.  Bank fishing at pinchot can be tough since there isn't much exposed bank at the deep side.  You guys in the know, is the shollower area better?  Like around boat moring 2 below the ranger station?

I don't know enough about the river to get on the catfish, perhaps it's just a long waiting game until they cruise by? 

Offline FM

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 03:38:56 PM »
Don't know the lake but catfishing this time of year would be at its slowest from now until April. Lakes are harder to do it on than rivers. Keep reading the threads on catfishing here it all river stuff. I will be back at them as soon as the ice goes off the river next spring, until then.
FM

Offline stonecat

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 08:36:40 AM »
   Cant really speak on the river but its common to catch channel cats through the ice on Sayers [Bald Eagle] and other lakes with a good cat population.Find their wintering holes where they bunch up.

Offline FM

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 09:10:06 AM »
They are not a common catch but Wallenpaupack gives up a few bruisers every winter. We get into them real good through the ice on the Susky once and a while. One time Steelie1 was marking them in a school a few feet thick on his flasher.
FM

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 09:10:06 AM »

Offline stonecat

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 09:57:43 AM »
 Channel cat on a two foot jigging rod...... ;D

Offline FM

• Administrator