Author Topic: WHY?  (Read 404 times)

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
WHY?
« on: December 28, 2021, 01:15:12 PM »
Why...bigger in winter?

Not that I catch a lot of smallmouth...but the winter smallmouth that I catch are usually bigger fish. Why?

This morning I fished for 90 minutes...Air 37F Water 38F... river rising a little  and a little more stained

Picked up 3 smallmouth...the first 2lbs 8 oz.

The second (in the carp hole) 3 lbs 7 oz.

And the third ( 50 yds below the carp hole) 3 lbs 3 oz.

Again...not that they are monsters...but most of the winter fish that i catch are really nice fish.

I have come to the conclusion that the metabolism of larger smallmouth (like my metabolism  ;) ;D ) forces them to eat more often than the smaller fish.

Maybe?  Or I am just lucky?  ??? :-[ ::)

Bill
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 01:25:27 PM by DRY »
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
Re: WHY?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 01:39:04 PM »
Bill they are decent size fish in my book...They are very nice fish!!
I think in the winter the big fish are more aggressive to grab a meal.
When I have caught fish in the winter they have been bigger in size also. Usually 16-22.

Had my small jet motor for sale 25/18  Evinrude . Someone come up from New Jersey this morning and bought it.
Was a nice little motor.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 07:50:16 AM »
I am no expert but here is my theory.  When the water is cold their metabolism has slowed and while they don't need to eat as much they do still need to eat.  During the warmer months forage is more readily available and the big ones don't need to be as aggressive.  Our lures aren't the normal meal so it is the smaller ones that grab it as they are more aggressive.

Most of the time SM seek the deepest area in the winter and can be bunched up, unless the water has warmed and they are out cruising.  When they see something to eat they grab it if it doesn't take too much effort.  So if you have a good idea where they may be laying and drop something in their face they eat it.

Anybody fish Blue Marsh Lake?  That place is notoriously difficult to fish.  Just look at tournament results - most boats get skunked.  It isn't because there aren't fish there.  On the contrary there are plenty.  The problem is the amount of forage.  I used to go there a couple times a year and occasionally would have a good day because I found some and presented the right lure.  Most of the time it was very frustrating though because you would be in the boat with all kinds of baitfish activity around and you don't get bit even though there are blow ups all over the place.  In the Susquehanna there is a better balance between the forage and the bass in the summer but that changes in the winter.

Bottom line in the winter the big ones are more hungry and willing to eat if opportunity presents itself.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 10:39:06 AM »
I have been told by more than one source that one reason fishing is so tough at Raystown, is because there is so much bait. I have seen balls of shad 20-30 feet in diameter. FYI Ike supposedly said he will never fish there again. Yet I love it!
A friend of mine told me some organizations will not schedule tournaments there.
I am believing the bait explanation.
Some of my best days on the river the fish spit up shad and crayfish. I love to see a Heron - tells me there is bait in the area!

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 07:41:41 AM »
Phil, have you ever had any luck catching around the baitfish balls?  I only did once and that was throwing a finesse worm to it.  I have heard a good lure to use in that situation is a blade bait, but I have never had one tied on when I've run into that scenario. 

There used to be a show on TV called A Day at the Lake.  Two pros would go out on an unfamiliar lake and try to catch.  In one episode one guy was getting skunked while the other was doing great.  The guy who was catching had found the bass busting on the bait balls.  He would wait for a blow up and then cast a weightless fluke to the spot and got a bite on almost every cast.  I just bought a bunch of flukes and intend to try that.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 08:31:44 AM »
Hi Rick,
I have not! I have considered that maybe flukes would work, especially since that is not a lure I use. Maybe I should! I have also concluded that some days I may do everything wrong and have no luck on my side! I started using a smaller swim bait last year and is a regular lure for me - next sighting I will try that!
Just an FYI I had 2 vaccines and booster and had Covid all week! Doctor told me it would have been worse without the vaccines. Been down since Monday. Finally coming alive today!
Phil

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 09:07:09 AM »
Omicron?

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 01:02:39 PM »
I would assume! I had a test at the doctor's office. Did not say. Can they determine that? Finally up and about today

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 11:09:04 PM »
I would assume that they can, but that may be dependent on the test they use.  Glad you are getting over it.

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 02:54:19 PM »
Phil glad your back on the road to recovery. Hopefully build up some more antibodies.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 11:58:30 AM »
Thanks that is what I am hoping for!!