Author Topic: Rattle traps  (Read 776 times)

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Rattle traps
« on: August 15, 2021, 12:06:39 PM »
after the recent discussion of rattletraps I am wondering if anyone ever tried to make them silent by drilling holes and filing with foam or?

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
Re: Rattle traps
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 07:56:19 AM »
I guess nobody has tried that, Phil.

Silent vs rattling is something I don't understand.   Care to explain?

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 08:27:34 AM »
Hi Rick,
I found this video to show where the BBs are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp0eTsmy2yI&t=250s
I sacrificed a Rattle trap brand. 3/4 oz. Drilled a hole straight through for balance and squirted in Loctite super glue, to silence the BBs. I left the front larger ones alone. It becomes a much quieter lure. I will let you know how I make out with it. I just thought there may be times for the silent one.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 09:28:44 AM »
I just thought there may be times for the silent one.

Like what?

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 10:20:01 AM »
I would say when they are chasing shad and I cannot get them to bite! That is one loud lure, cannot help think more quiet would be better sometimes.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 10:23:12 AM by Phil Sweeney »

Online icemole

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 07:16:16 PM »
 I don't know if all the "rat-l-trap" style baits have rattles in them but do know others that rattle have different sounds. You could always toss a blade bait like a Silver Buddy. I know here locally guys used to toss them with good success on a lake with a shallow weed filled spawning flat very early in the Spring before the weeds got nuts. Also Tail Spinners like the Manns "little george"

Check out Tackle Warehouse lot's of all three types to choose from.... good luck - don't spend too much  ;D

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 07:33:45 PM »
Check out Tackle Warehouse lot's of all three types to choose from.... good luck - don't spend too much  ;D

Well, you need to spend enough to get another T-shirt.  It amazes me that my wife hasnít done the math on how many I have. 

Online icemole

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 11:37:43 AM »
 Missed that "price point" LOL  I try to limit myself to free shipping. Most of what I buy from them is stuff not sold around here .... ordered a swimbait/crankbait rod just after Christmas(got a T shirt from Lew's) got here in about a week and a half. Sadly I didn't get the trout swimbaits in time for the spring stocking season(They said they were swamped) but I'm ready for the fall stocking.  Working on an "alabama rig" order now  ;)

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 09:09:31 AM »
Unfortunate the number of things not in stock theses days! I have Diawa lure covers on wish list been out of stock since April. I cannot get a bicycle repaired. Cannot get certain auto parts. Cannot get certain ATV parts.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 12:37:23 PM »
It is only going to get worse, and what you can get will be higher in price.  I read an article yesterday about the global logistical problems.  Shipping costs for a container from China to the US are up 350% this year. 

I ordered some 3700 boxes from TW last fall. They werenít in stock but they let me backorder them.  My price is $20.99 for a four pack.  They still donít have them and the price is up to $30.99. 

Online icemole

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2021, 08:15:34 AM »
 I placed my T/W "Alabama rig" order little more than a week ago - exited unboxing yesterday. Everything I ordered was shown as "in stock" and arrived -  1 A rig, 1pk  Berkley shad bodies, 2 pks swimbait jig heads(different hook sizes) and 2 squarebill crankbaits to round out the order for "free shipping".

I also called in a "curbside pick-up" order at Cabala's yesterday for another "A" rig, other shad bodies and jig heads that T/W did not have "in stock".  A bit of confusion with the girl who took my order but she seemed to get it. I called early enough to have "pick-up" yesterday but when I checked for my confirmation e-mail - nothing.  A short time later after a little phone tag they found my order and it was ready for pick-up.