Author Topic: kayak type  (Read 9823 times)

Offline bohunter

• River Rat
kayak type
« on: June 02, 2014, 05:44:35 PM »
What kayak would you bye? how stable,sit in or sit  on top.And advice would be great thanks in advance.

Offline FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
Re: kayak type
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 05:58:40 PM »
If I was buying again I would get one of the open sitters. They just look more comfortable to me.
FM

Offline KCARP819

• FISH FEAR ME
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 08:06:16 PM »
I HAVE A SIT IN...ITS NICE BUT I WOULD BY A SIT ON TOP NEXT TIME LIKE FM SAID THEY LOOK MORE MANEUVERABLE AND COMFY

Offline tfusc

• way up river
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 11:07:37 AM »
I have a sit in 8'... if or when i get another its going to be a sit on. and ill prolly go for a longer one at least 10' with compartments! i dont have any compartments...it sucks
NY fisher.

Offline Coley14892

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 11:19:10 AM »
When I bought my sit-in it was because it had a higher weight capacity. I'm about 6'2 270lbs and I don't pack lightly and I can fish all day in reasonable comfort from it. 12 ft field and stream. Pretty stable even in some river rifts and easy to paddle
kayaking the small water,
bass tracking the big!!!

Offline NYSporty

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 11:38:38 AM »
I would get one of these hands down!

http://www.nucanoe.com/fishing/
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to it."
Thomas Harris

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 12:48:09 PM »
When I bought my sit-in it was because it had a higher weight capacity. I'm about 6'2 270lbs and I don't pack lightly and I can fish all day in reasonable comfort from it. 12 ft field and stream. Pretty stable even in some river rifts and easy to paddle

Im 6/1 ,250,The kayak you have sounds like the one i need.What was yours worth?They said there is a guy by FALLS that rents them.Id like to try one before i bought 1.I have RA real bad ,i dont know how long i would be comfortable in one.I have been very interested in one for the last 3 years.
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Offline Coley14892

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 03:57:01 PM »
Im 6/1 ,250,The kayak you have sounds like the one i need.What was yours worth?They said there is a guy by FALLS that rents them.Id like to try one before i bought 1.I have RA real bad ,i dont know how long i would be comfortable in one.I have been very interested in one for the last 3 years.
here's a link for the one I bought. The stores had a good sale on them a couple of weeks ago. may still be going on.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3986135&cp=4406646.4413993.4417832.4417969

on the site its $549. Field and Stream 12' eagle run.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 03:59:51 PM by Coley14892 »
kayaking the small water,
bass tracking the big!!!

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 07:51:51 AM »
THANK YOU ;COLEY.I will check it out for sure.{{{WOULD MAKE A GREAT FATHERS DAY GIFT}} ;) :D ;D
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 02:11:57 PM »
Hey Chez, if you want to take a day and rent one I'll go with yah.  I never really liked kayaks, they take some getting used to, try one out before you buy one.

Offline WADMAN

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 03:38:05 PM »
Many places that sell have 'try it before you buy it' events. Gander Mountain in Harrisburg even has a nice sized indoor pool to get into and get a general idea of how a boat feels.
I have an Old Town Dirigo 120, very stable and honestly could sit in it all day. Opinions will be 6 of one, half dozen the other. Like a new bow or gun, gotta get your own hands on it to decide!

Offline Kingfisher

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 08:28:18 PM »
I have a sit in 8'... if or when i get another its going to be a sit on. and ill prolly go for a longer one at least 10' with compartments! i dont have any compartments...it sucks
I just upgraded and gave my other away.  Compartments are a must and more important are WATERPROOF compartments.  My last one had compartments that would fill with water.  No good.  Just got an angler specific 1 with 2 sealed waterproof compartments and rod holders.  Also a more stable design.  Bought it a few weeks ago and it still sits in the garage in the plastic :P.   Soon enough. 
"Ya can't get em wishin, ya gotta go fishin!"

Offline WetArse

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 11:00:27 AM »
 Started 12 yrs or so ago with a sit in Swifty, still have it great little boat. Due to my back and balance getting in and out I moved up to a Tapon100 .WOW the SOTs are the way to go. more comfort easy in and out if ya want to wade an area..                                  Only draw back is the size make it a slower boat ,if your working on area it's fine ,if your going to paddle upstream any distance you may want to  opt for the 12 ft version.. now the Tarpon 120 get pricey at best,b/4 you rig it..So   ck out the Prescador12  @ Gander.it's made on the old tarpon 12 mold.(I called the company) the Prescador12 is a much faster boat, and it less money than the tarpon 120                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        ~~These two have served me well for warm weather yakfishing.                                                                                    Very good buys for the money ,beware a lot of the box store yaks are really cheapy  oil can hulls .these two are made well. ~~WA~~

Offline 17340fishkiller

• River Rat
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 08:54:55 PM »
just purchased a nucanoe.....highly recommend..