Recent

96 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71

03 Apr 2014 - Smore Channel Cats

Managed a couple hours on the river this morning. Since the rain didn't materialize I took off and after rejecting my first choice headed the truck up river to the Whites Ferry launch. I picked a spot where the ice was firmly attached to the shore and lifted my catch up about five feet to get them where I could handle them. In one of the pics you can see my rod on a ice block in the background there is a huge ice skyscraper balanced in the mud right on shore. I was wishing that I could be there when it toppled and within a minute of the thought over it went just like a glacier calving an iceberg. The action was fast and furious. I had three on shore within 10 minutes of my first cast and didn't have time between to get any pics... the result of that is the, "We Are the Three Amigos" shot. Wish I had more time but I had to be on my way back before noon. All caught on leftover ice fishing bait, chubs, shiners, and suckers.
FM

[img width=700 height=525]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/virtualdave/SF/2014/DSCF0686.jpg[/

21 Mar 2014 - Catfishin' Time

I love springtime catfishin'. as zziipp mentioned it is probably the very best time to get a monster and you can really catch a mess of them while they are still all bunched up in their wintering holes. I tried a spot where I  figured I could at least get to the water w/o having to use crampons and climb down the ice wall. I didn't have it great, (about a 2 story climb to land each fish, down and back up) but I found a path to the water and was able to land six channel cats in a couple hours. I'm guessing that the two biggest were about 28 inches. They were all skinny from the long harsh winter and will be putting on some pounds over the next couple months to get ready for their spawn. I got them all on cut chub and suckers casting out as far as possible to the current break. Good Luck if you go out! I will be doing as much of it as I can fit in for the next two months at least.
FM

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 9475
  • Total Topics: 1213
  • Online Today: 105
  • Online Ever: 468
  • (July 28, 2017, 03:46:58 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 96