72 Guests, 3 Users

Author Topic: Of Trout, Smallies and Knotweed  (Read 581 times)  Share 

Offline FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
Of Trout, Smallies and Knotweed
« on: October 22, 2017, 10:32:37 AM »
My son was scheduled to get some training for his next scouting challenge so I used the waiting time (4hrs.) to drive down the road a bit and fish the Lackawanna River. I had scouted an area close by last spring and although I didn't have any luck then I thought it worth the time to try again. I wasn't disappointed this time around. I hooked two small brown trouts within a few minutes at the first spot I tried. I was just tossing a Joe's flies spinner, gold blade with a black feather tail. The sun was coming up and starting to hit the water, I was glad to be on the sunny side of the river and fishing into the shadows. My next stop was a awesome looking current swept hole. The water runs straight into a steep rocky bank and has cut a deep trench all along the shoreline. I tried drifting some salties through the depths but went with out a strike. Switching back to the Joe's fly I worked my way done the run and was rewarded with a solid hit. Thoughts of a big hook jawed brown raced through my head but suddenly a big bronze torpedo launched from the surface. smallie. Funny one of my best smallies this year came miles from the river on a trib. On the morning went caught a couple more browns missed a few and one more nice smallie and it was time to pick up my son. One parting thought, I recall a knotweed discussion on the site recently. It is game over as far as this invasive is concerned. The shores of the Lackawanna, Susquehanna, Pine Creek, and The Tunkhannock Creek are completely overgrown with the stuff. Millions upon millions of the plants are now dripping with trillions of seeds that will be washed down the water ways every time the rivers rise. This has been going on for years. Its a shame but knotweed is here to stay.
FM

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Of Trout, Smallies and Knotweed
« on: October 22, 2017, 10:32:37 AM »

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
Re: Of Trout, Smallies and Knotweed
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 08:43:38 PM »
I thourghly enjoyed the thoughts and imagery you penned(typed) in this post. It reminded me of the Ned Smith book I read a few years back.

Offline FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 09:33:42 PM »
Thanks for the nice words. I confess my ignorance of Ned Smith. I googled him and was happy to find that he was a fellow Pennsylvanian. I'll have to find something of his to read.
FM

http://www.nedsmithcenter.org/about-ned-smith/

Offline BonScott78

• FISH ON!!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 09:02:33 AM »
Thanks for posting the link FM, real good read on Ned Smith!  ;)
Fishing…The way to a man’s heart is thru his FLY!

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 09:02:33 AM »

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 06:58:07 PM »
not se if you ever read the Pennsylvania game news. But he used to years ago, write a small section in the back called gone for the day. I am not sure how long ago that was, But I know he passed away quite a while ago. In millersburg Dauphin Co, there is the Ned Smith center. It is in a quiet tranquil setting. The grounds are open to the public for walking, hunting, and fishing.

Online johnfries7

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 05:24:20 PM »
I went to the Schuylkill last evening and caught 3 smallies one 18 in.

Online johnfries7

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 08:36:29 PM »
I went down again today caught one 12" but the leaves are getting bad now, and its supposed to get cold this week

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 08:36:29 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2014 SuskyFishers.com