Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Surprise!!

High, muddy. fast water and full moon have the smallmouth confused. Makes my job tough.
Only 2 smallies today

But this little 13" beauty hit one of my river darters. This is a flathead catfish. At least 10 miles from the confluence with the Susquehanna and not that far from the trout waters of this wonderful trib.

I'm anxiously awaiting snakeheads next... ;)  :)

Bill

Read More

Plan C

I had to make a quick change of plans last evening 5/25/18 when I got to the launch and it was coned off. A quick inspection revealed that the river was just high enough to hide the ramp under muddy water. I could have made it but not wanting to upset anyone I went to plan B. Got my boat in the water but when I approached my spot there were a couple other boats already set up. This called for a plan C. I ran the boat a few miles further to the next big deep hole and got ready to fish. It was slow except for the very first line I put in must have hit a musky on the nose. I had a massive hit and when I went to set I felt the hook pull out of the gillbait and was sure I missed a nice cat. When I got the line back in the boat it was missing the hook with only a frayed piece of leader to tell the tale. So slow I switched to cut bait on a rod and quickly things started to get interesting. I picked at the cats and probably had about half a dozen when I decided to move down the hole 50 yards. Back to live bait and catching. I had really fast action here in spite of the nearly full moon directly over head. Then I hooked into a monster which turned out to be the heaviest channel cat I ever caught it was so big and heavy it was grotesque. I got two bad pics before I released it. while I was cleaning things up to leave I caught one more nice one but nothing like the Tank of the night. To get an idea of it just look at how long the one whisker is.
FM

Read More

Navigation

[0] Forum

Go to full version