104 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: The "fly" is gone!!  (Read 1785 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
The "fly" is gone!!
« on: December 05, 2020, 01:33:03 PM »
The storm front moved through during the night and only left us a little rain. Overnight temps stayed above 40F and water temps did not fall.
Very overcast today...water levels falling and water clearing terribly well
Guys in orange jackets were chasing deer on the islands across from Selinsgrove this AM...always makes me a little nervous!!

The wind had changed and the south wind (my fly in the ointment) was now a 5-10 mph wind directly out of the north.
The first hour of fishing I had no hits and suspected the front and north wind had brought its own disease epidemic...lock-jaw.  ;)  :)
I slowed my presentation down and kept my rod tip low..out of the wind... and went hunting for some takers.
The second hour proved much more successful with three nice smallmouth all in the 2-2.5 lb. weight division...

And two more three pounders at 3 lbs. 2 oz. and 3 lbs. 5 oz.

The river remains low and there is little rain in the forecast for most of this month. Colder nights may bring the dreaded ice flows. Gotta get out and catch 'em while I can.  8)

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

The "fly" is gone!!
« on: December 05, 2020, 01:33:03 PM »

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
Re: The "fly" is gone!!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 11:08:31 PM »
Dry
Strong work again 💪
Some nice fish!
Have you been fishing a hole for awhile and then moving on...or do you keep moving along the bank?

I didn't get out today. This morning I done some maintenance work on my tractor and put my snowblower on for the winter.
I kept putting it off.
After breakfast tomorrow I will hit the bank fishing.  I Usually take 2 rods with me.

Again thanks for sharing.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 10:21:24 AM »
...Have you been fishing a hole for awhile and then moving on...or do you keep moving along the bank?...

I have the distinct advantage of having a school of trained smallmouth bass...they come when I whistle  ;) :) ;D
Don't I wish!!

But I do have 40 years of experience fishing the west shore of the Susquehanna that stretches for many miles below the power plant at Hummel's Wharf. I have waded and boated every inch of that shoreline from the power plant to Hoover's Island Access during those 40 years.
In the days of warm water discharge (there is none now) the west shoreline would remain free of ice and stay around 40-50F in all but the harshest winters. Dozens of fishermen waded the area and you could count on success on just about any day you fished (and I mean 20-30 fish a day)...then you could go back in the afternoon and catch even more.

Those days are gone. There are only 2 or 3 of us who wade the area in winter anymore and when the nights get cold and the water drops to 32F...you may as well forget it. That is the advantage of higher water...it seems to stay warmer and draws the fish to the shoreline holes and quieter water.

When the water is low it gets tougher. I know from experience where some of the deeper (and I mean only 4-5 feet versus 2-3 feet) areas are and I know where my "trained" fish are likely to hang out.

Yes, with the water at current depths, I wade in the shoreline water from "hole to hole" looking for active fish. When the water is high I may not even get into the water but just fish the eddies from shore.

If you've never seen the Isle of Que...drive down to the river road sometime when you are in Selinsgrove. The Que really isn't an island but a peninsula formed by the Susquehanna River on the east side of the peninsula and Penn's Creek on the west side.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 10:42:22 AM »
Dry
Thanks for the in depth reply. I will check them areas out with google Earth.
Edit: Dry looked at that on Google. There is a lot going on down there. Penns Creek is a good SM Creek...Nice area!
Some Tuesday/Wednesday I might have to run down and look at that area.

Blueberry pancakes and bacon for breakfast. Washed down with generous amount of coffee.
I'm off to burn some of it off.

Thanks Again!

Doug
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 04:39:50 PM by Pawatch »

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 10:42:22 AM »

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 07:54:11 AM »
Dry
Looks like we got 1-1.5" of rain coming Thursday on top of all the snow we have. Which should raise the river a good bit. But then it is suppose to turn cold  :(
Possibly a snow storm late next week. Guess we will see how that plays out.
Sure would be nice having some higher water.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 07:54:11 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com