84 Guests, 12 Users

Author Topic: New Worst Day on the Suski  (Read 3313 times)  Share 

Online 1iarrowking

• River Rat
New Worst Day on the Suski
« on: September 15, 2017, 04:30:42 PM »
Harry and me put in this morning at 6:30 at the Canal Lock launch above Three Mile Island and started fishing right out and above the launch.  The water was clear enough to see bottom at about 3 ft and 71.5 degrees.  This was a new spot for us but the water right there looks like a smallie paradise.  We were constantly bouncing off of rocks and tried every type of lure in the tackle box.  Nothing not even a strike.  After getting pushed up on some rocks and gettin stuck for a while on some rocks, we got free pushing with paddles. I drifted out of there.   Drifted and fished to calmer water. Nothing, fished the grass beds, then tried an island shoreline, nothing.  Moved west and worked the docks on the Goldsboro side.  By 12:30 we had enough.  This is the first time Harry and me ever fished for six hours without even a strike.  No bait fish swimming anywhere.  It was like the river was polluted with arsenic.  There were a lot of boats for a weekday, more than we've ever seen at C I and we didn't see a single fish caught.  Don't know??  Not in a hurry to go back there.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

New Worst Day on the Suski
« on: September 15, 2017, 04:30:42 PM »

Offline Responsible_Angler

• Please give the fish CPR
Re: New Worst Day on the Suski
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 10:17:50 PM »
tried every type of lure in the tackle box. 

Just out of curiosity, did you try a suspending jerk bait?  Not so sure now that I want to get up at 5:00 am tomorrow.

Online 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 10:32:57 PM »
We tried numerous jerk baits, hard and soft but I don't know what you mean by a suspended jerk bait.  We used various weights on the soft ones and usually retrieve them kind of slow with small jerks.  Fished the hard ones a little faster usually.

Good luck. Let us know what happens if you go out.

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 11:49:28 PM »
i am so sorry to hear that the fish didn't cooperate.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 11:49:28 PM »

Online 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 09:47:12 AM »
Not your fault dretallack, that they had lockjaw.  They probably had it everywhere.  The reason I'm in no hurry to go back is it's just too hard to navigate up in that riff that looks so great.  The bulk of that water was 2-3 feet deep but it has a thousand rocks just below the surface and there's just no room to navigate through them. What got me to leave that spot was I was maneuvering between two of them and then I had one in front of me.  When I tried to back out of that spot the current pushed the boat up on another one broadside and the jet couldn't pull or push me off.  Sure glad I had those paddles or we'd have been in trouble.  There wasn't another boat up in that stuff.  They were all down below in the calm water saying,"look at that fool". ::)

That calm water was between 3-5 feet with a rocky bottom and full of grass beds.  Should hold bass but they just weren't in the mood because we didn't see anybody catch a fish.

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 02:11:35 PM »

Good luck. Let us know what happens if you go out.

Wow, only boated two fish in four hours and two got off before they were boated.  They are not taking it into their mouths right, very lethargic and not attacking their prey.  Low water levels and low oxygen level could be the problem.  The weeds are dying and not producing oxygen and the fish are taking notice.

The type of jerk bait I'm referring to is something like a Rapala X-Rap, Shadow Rap, Husky Jerk, etc.  There are many brands and styles out there.  When you twitch them they go side to side under water and stay suspended when paused.  They don't float to the top or sink to the bottom.  Very deadly in the weeks to come.

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 09:31:25 PM »
I was empathizing with you more. I am not a morning guy when it comes to fishing. Due to my kids activities on the weekend, soccer and football. So I am doing my fishing in the evening. Tonight I did get out about 630, and I had action till about 745 or a bit more. I landed 8, and the biggest was on a crayfish crankbait. About 15", and the rest were on gulp minnows and hellgrammites. They were in the 10-12" range. If I didn't know better, it sounds like you were fishing drys and my full moon smallmouths. That's when I have my least productive fishing. Last week when the water temps were mid 60s, I saw more larger fish. Today with the water temps in the low 70s. I was like fishing a summer pattern, and smaller fish. My uneducated guess is they are confused by the fluxuating water temps. Or better stated we are confused by the water temps going up and down.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 01:31:31 PM »
They are starting to pep up a little. Had many top water hits walking a weightless Zoom Super Fluke  across rocky points below bridge pillars this morning.  More misses than hookups but it was fun.  The big ones didn't miss.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 01:31:31 PM »

Online shiver318

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 03:35:46 PM »
The fish are doing a little better in early morn, got tired of bouncing off rocks with the boat so been using the kayak to get back into my favorite spot. Glad nobody is around when this old fat man gets out of it!

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 07:00:15 AM »
Lol.it is hard getting out of the yak as you get older.
Im 55 and it gets harder every year.But i luv fishin out of it. 8)
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 07:00:15 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com