Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Susquehanna River Smallmouth Bass / Re: Still hot !!!!
« Last post by Heavyduty on December 06, 2021, 09:15:42 PM »
Enjoying your posts and pics!
Looks like you run your silicone strands through the bait in a top/bottom fashion rather than side to side. Am I reading too much into it, does the orientation make a difference in your experience?
Stay on'em!
« Last post by DRY on December 06, 2021, 05:05:52 PM »
...Cold front tomorrow is not going to help things. But the river is supposed to come up a 1.5í

Yeah...from my perspective it is stability right now that will be best...where I fish,  the smallmouth seem to be feeding well right now and not bothered by real cold water or big water fluctuations. I'd like to see that continue until Christmas...maybe I'll go up to the mall and sit on Santa's lap  ;D

Bill
« Last post by Pawatch on December 06, 2021, 04:49:47 PM »
Thatís some nice work Bill!
Them fish are tanks. Really impressed!!

I got out bank fishing today but didnít get anything. Sprinkles and some decent wind.
I need to start walking further to hit some better bank spots.
Cold front tomorrow is not going to help things. But the river is supposed to come up a 1.5í
Susquehanna River Smallmouth Bass / Still hot !!!!
« Last post by DRY on December 06, 2021, 01:59:34 PM »
Been following the weather waiting for another cloudy and dark day... Today was it...Got up early and fixed my oatmeal with blueberries, walnuts, cinnamon and maple syrup...got my grapefruit and coffee... and was at the river by 9AM...Rain and wind was predicted by lunchtime...
Air 45F...Water a little over 40F...upriver wind but fishable...cloudy and no sun

Since the smallmouth have been pretty active and feeding nicely...I switched to Willie Wannabee's big brother...Chillee Willie with a few added strands of silicone (the one on top with the 3/16 jighead and 1/0 hook)

Fished until 12 noon and landed 15 smallmouth...all on Chillee Willie

I would have fished longer but the sun came out and the wind picked up so strong it almost bent me over....

These four pictures are all different fish and all between 3 and 3 1/2 lbs. The other eleven smallies ranged from foot-longs to 2 3/4  pounders...

When is the next cloudy day?  ::)  ;)  :)

Bill

Susquehanna River Smallmouth Bass / Re: Get 'em while they're hot
« Last post by DRY on December 03, 2021, 08:40:15 PM »
... And oysters for supper, you're living the good life sir!!

I AM!!

Susquehanna River Smallmouth Bass / Re: Get 'em while they're hot
« Last post by Heavyduty on December 03, 2021, 06:41:27 PM »
That's a great 1.5 hr fishing trip!! And oysters for supper, you're living the good life sir!!
Susquehanna River Smallmouth Bass / Re: Great Fall morning
« Last post by DRY on December 03, 2021, 05:53:53 PM »
...What size hook/weight do you use on the willie wannabee?

I use a 1/8 oz stand up football jig with a size 1 mustad hook or a 3/16 oz stand up football jig with a 1/0 mustad hook. Was using the smaller jig the last two days.

Don't like weedguards. Winco always said I was too stubborn. I think they interfere with the hookset...I'd rather lose some jigs.

Bill

Susquehanna River Smallmouth Bass / Get 'em while they're hot
« Last post by DRY on December 03, 2021, 05:47:14 PM »
My uncle Bill had a year round cabin along the Big Conewago Creek in northern York County in the 60's when it was a great smallmouth fishery. He would often call me and tell me to get up to his place and "Get 'em while they're biting."
I wasn't gonna go out today but the clouds moved in after lunch and the wind died down to nothing. The air temp was in the low 50's so I headed down to see my mistress and get 'em while they were biting. My wife didn't care...she was showering and doing her hair and that takes all afternoon  ;D   I padded the oysters for supper and headed for the river.

Fished from 2 PM until 3:30 PM. Picked up 8 smallmouth.

A few foot-longs...

A few  2 to 2 and 1/2 pounders...

A nice 3.5 pounder...

And a beautiful 3 3/4 pounder...

FYI - I tried the smoke tube today but it was a no-go
FYI - I lost 2 jigs today
FYI - All the bass were caught on Willie Wannabee.

Bill

« Last post by Heavyduty on December 03, 2021, 02:14:23 PM »

Heavyduty Last winter done good on motor oil grub. Walleye and smallmouth.

Ken up at Southside Tackle talks alot about the motor oil color also. Another I have yet to try.
« Last post by Heavyduty on December 03, 2021, 02:05:37 PM »
Bill, the "Ned" heads I use have a #1 strong hook and all of them have a single stranded wire weedguard. I've tried others without the guards and I don't see how people do it, they hang on something every cast. Now a #4 or #6 light wire hook with just a little of the hook exposed, maybe not as bad and you can straighten the hook and bend it back most of the time, but rarely if ever do I use them.

What size hook/weight do you use on the willie wannabee?

The "buggy whip" does work well
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10