Author Topic: Bait Thieves Caught  (Read 13859 times)

Offline The_Kid

• River Rat
Re: Bait Thieves Caught
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 05:38:15 PM »
When were on the quads and dirtbikes in suscon we always see rattlers on the trails. Stop check it out and then just jeep going. As far as the copper heads I've seen two. Once when I was picking bait and I lifted up this huge rock to find one underneath and quickly dropped the rock. And one when I jumped on a rock by the river I didn't even look and practically stepped on it while it was laying in the sun .Anyone ever go to the noxen rattlesnake round up?
How am I suppose to be old and wise if I'm not young and crazy?

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 07:57:00 PM »
I nearly got bit at the rattlesnakes den on the way yo bsld mt dam last year kid.my son matt was in lead i was second his friend 3rd.i seen my son run something over,he never seen it.he didnt hit it cleared it totally.it coiled up and i couldnt do any thing but put my leg up on the fender.he struck at my floor board.i lucked out.my sons buddy seen it strike my quad and ran in to the woods with his quad.My cousin was the guy bit on the big shinny mt.last year.life flighted out to dsnville.was in the hospital a long time.allmost lost his hand.I hate them all.ill never kill a garden snake,green snske or milk snake.The rest are fair game if they threathen me.I know my buddy spider disagrees with me but i hate them.
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Offline Susky

• River Rat
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 09:08:22 PM »
When were on the quads and dirtbikes in suscon we always see rattlers on the trails. Stop check it out and then just jeep going. As far as the copper heads I've seen two. Once when I was picking bait and I lifted up this huge rock to find one underneath and quickly dropped the rock. And one when I jumped on a rock by the river I didn't even look and practically stepped on it while it was laying in the sun .Anyone ever go to the noxen rattlesnake round up?

I have been to the rattle snake round up. THe people watching is more interesting then the snakes.  I lady I work with, her full time night man participates in the round up each year and he has been scouting a lot in the recent weeks.  she has shown me pictures of some monster rattlers, along with a pic from near a den that had rattler upon rattler laying on top of each other basking in the sun. Black and yellow phase snakes,  very cool pics.  last week he sent her a pic of a 68 inch black snake hanging from a tree.  HE caught it, measured it and let it go on its way.  VERY large snake.  I myself have never seen a rattler in the wide but have seen a copper head crossing the road one night when leaving my grandmothers house when I was a teenager.  I will never forget it.  I don't kill any snake accept water snakes.  They have a nasty attitude and just irritate me.  I used to shoot them in my grandmothers creek all the time when I was younger because they used to eat all the small trout that reproduce in it.  I will try to get some the lady I work with to send me some pictures to post of the snakes her BUDDY found.

Offline spider1

• River Rat
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 07:49:31 AM »
Chez ol' boy, if the last rattlesnake on earth threatened me or one of my kids I would pop a snakeload in it's head without worrying ;) but I don't kill em just cuz they can be dangerous. My brother got bit by a rattlesnake out n Oregon. Spent 5 days in ICU, lost the tip of his finger where the snake got him. But then again, he almost got eaten by a tiger in India too... so if you go into the animals territory, ya gotta be careful ;)

Offline spider1

• River Rat
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 07:51:43 AM »
by the way, what I was gonna say before and forgot. FM, the skins on those snakes woulda looked great on the back of a longbow ;) Perfect size, woulda looked cool.

Offline RAU

• River Rat
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 10:22:59 AM »
You can get a tag for a timber rattler and a copperhead a year for $25 from the fish commision.The timber rattler has to be a male and measure I think 42 inch not sure. I had the tag 2 years ago but never found one. I only went one afternoon tho. Ive killed 2 copperheads right around my house in exeter that were practically in self defense.  The one on this arrow was under my sons tricycle late in the year like in September i think it must have been looking for a place to hole up for winter.

Yea spider they would have looked cool on a bow. I think Mike Yancy at Pine Hollow longbow might even sell some watersnake skins

Offline spider1

• River Rat
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 02:36:38 PM »
I know Mike, he hooked me up a few times. Got some good Osage from him  8) The thing about watersnake skins is it's dark and a bit thin. Looks good over a light colored bow, like hickory ;)