Author Topic: Trapped a Few Chubs  (Read 6871 times)

Offline FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
Trapped a Few Chubs
« on: April 26, 2014, 05:44:00 PM »
Someone was asking if you could trap chubs in the spring or was it just in fall. I have an answer. Yes I mostly trap in fall but can catch them almost anytime the water is not too high. Some of these are going for catfishin tomorrow. Some will be sacrificed.to the walleye gods next week.
FM
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:49:39 PM by FM »

Offline RAU

• River Rat
Re: Trapped a Few Chubs
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 10:06:56 AM »
nice anyome know how or where to trap truly big baits like big 10 to 12" suckers, chubs, etc? I thought about building a truly massive minnow trap out of chicken wire but I think the design i have in my head is ilegal.  Maybe I could find a hole in creek and seine it.  Ive picked up some sucker rigs and musky floats and want to toss a rigged sucker out for muskies on second rod while i cast around it

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 10:37:30 AM »
YOU cannot trap bait in the spring in any approved trout waters after the seasons end date ,till first day of open trout season.IT is NOT LEAGLE.IN the river it is allowed because it isint aproved stocked trout waters.
ONLY REASON IM POSTING THIS IS BECAUSE i was sceening WATERWORMS in a A.T.W. CREEK a few years back and the GUPPY COP APPROACHED me and asked what i was doing.I told him and he said{{{YOUR IN VIOLATION OF THE LAW SON}}} HE THEN PROCEEDED TO READ ME A RIOT ACT.He didnt PINCH me but he made me dump all my bait back, A few dozen WATERWORMS.HATE TO SEE ANYONE GETTING PINCHED.
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Offline FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 02:17:52 PM »
Approved trout waters are probably the worst places to try trapping minnows anyway. I get my best ones out of tiny little cricks that don't ever get stocked.
FM

Offline BIGCREW

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 09:46:22 PM »
a 10 to 12 inch sucker wont fit in a legal minnow trap and netting them can be tough but is possible in the right spot,I use one of my ice rods to catch them once in a while, don't over look going a catching a few trout put them in a 40 quart (minimum) cooler with water and head to the river or depending on where you are catching the trout you may want to just use them where your at,trout work very well, keeping them in good condition can be tough if its hot I have a power inverter in my truck so I use an air pump with a round airstone,its about 4 inches in diameter and an inch or so thick kind of like a hockey puck the bubbles only come out the top,with a good pump you can keep them for a little while depending on how you hooked them use circle hooks with no barb or break the barb off and clean it up a bit will help

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 01:14:01 AM »
When the insects are around you can catch a lot of decent sized baitfish close to shore with a smaller dry fly.

Offline walleyeken

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 07:57:46 PM »
so what is the best way to catch/trap chubs?

Offline walleyeken

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 08:07:41 PM »
I dug a little deeper and found FM's article on trapping live bait.  Cant wait to give it a try knowing these tips!

Offline Gundog

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 09:10:31 PM »
For suckers in the late spring I would go to small creeks that run into the river. In the past I've found small pools in some of these creeks that was full of suckers. Only problem is getting to some of these places when the water is higher gets difficult. This time of year I would just get a couple of rods and try fishing for them.
There's a fine line between fishing....and standing on the shore like an idiot