47 Guests, 3 Users

Author Topic: Water temps  (Read 1302 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Water temps
« on: March 15, 2018, 07:31:03 AM »

Mother (nature) is up to no good again  >:(

Click link: brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwisweb/graph?agency_cd=USGS&site_no=01540500&parm_cd=00010&period=7

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Water temps
« on: March 15, 2018, 07:31:03 AM »

Offline DRY

Re: Water temps
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 04:57:45 PM »
Didn't fish yesterday with cold high winds. Nights have been cold. The graph above shows the effect on the water.

This was a good opportunity to show the effectiveness of small baits in cold water. Air today was 40F and the water temp when I took it was 37F. I've had these winter smallmouths dialed in the last 2 weeks with stained high water and water temps 38F or above. It was a little colder today.

I started today with 3" or better tubes and larger plastics. I could feel the fish bumping the lure and I could feel the lure crawling over top of fish (bass or carp). Only had one hookup in the first 30 minutes.

So I switched to the small baby predator craw and I rigged it on a 3/16 oz. flutterhead jig. This jig flutters as it falls, presents the crawfish in a pinchers up fighting position and because the hook point is somewhat covered by the plastic it helps prevent snags.

The first cast brought to hand this 2 3/4 pounder.

I continued the rest of the afternoon with the same lure presentation and landed 14 smallmouth including this 3 pounder.

As the water drops and becomes clear the shoreline eddy bite will dwindle considerably. Hope it warms up soon.

Bill

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 06:51:56 PM »
That's awesome

Offline Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 08:46:29 AM »
I can't even imagine catching 14 small mouth in a day.  Great job. 

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 08:46:29 AM »

Offline DRY

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 09:22:04 AM »
I have fished this section of the Susquehanna for over 40 years. It is my home. You learn a lot over that period of time.

It also helps to be an old retired geezer too.  ;) :) 8)

Bill
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:40:05 AM by DRY »

Offline rabbit

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 05:02:43 PM »
Thanks for sharing.

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 06:49:21 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how long are you fishing? When you head out on your excursions.

Offline DRY

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 07:19:07 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how long are you fishing? When you head out on your excursions.

I fish a shoreline about 1.5 miles long from shore and wading
Each ďexcursionĒ is about 3 to 4 hours max
After 3 hours my body starts to remind me that Iím 73 years old  🧐😎

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 07:19:07 PM »

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 09:18:10 AM »
All I can say is wow.  I can handle sitting in a tree stand waiting for a deer in cold weather but my arthritic hands could not handle a rod and reel for very long at all in weather like this.  Hell my hands need breaks in the summer.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Offline DRY

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 09:53:46 AM »
All I can say is wow.  I can handle sitting in a tree stand waiting for a deer in cold weather but my arthritic hands could not handle a rod and reel for very long at all in weather like this.  Hell my hands need breaks in the summer.

Yep...I know about the problems of the mature adult male. Aging sucks!!

Degenerative spine problems and degenerative knees...I am a real degenerate below the waist  ;D. The rest of me is pretty good yet.
Every morning starts with Excedrin Extra Strength and every evening ends with back exercises and Tylenol. Can't take drugs like Aleve and Motrin due to allergies.

I do take breaks during my 3 hour excursions for coffee and snacks and I don't walk the entire mile and a half...I often drive from one section to another section that I intend to fish.   

And there are times of both feast and famine as far as catching is concerned. The river is fairly shallow where I fish and one has to continually watch water levels and water temps...especially in winter.

Bill

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 05:52:49 PM »
I spent an hour in the water this afternoon. Managed 1 bite, the obvious bump was different than all the other bumps I had with the rocks I bounced the tube off. No I did catch 1 250# object. MY tube got stuck about 10' from where I was fishing, wearing the waders, id figured I would retrieve it. SO all the tugging in different directions didn't free it. So I found the line with my foot, and the hook snapped up into my felts. Waist deep in water trying to unhook myself, was amusing I bet to watch. decided to slowly move to an exposed rock, to finish the task. But since this thread is about water temps, my toes did get chilly after an hour. Also pulled about 6 stone flies out of my hair too.

Offline DRY

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 08:12:29 PM »
I spent an hour in the water this afternoon. Managed 1 bite...

I don't normally fish on weekends...I let that for those guys who are paying my social security during the week  ;D ...

but my wife was teaching today so I went on an "excursion"... 3 smallmouth in 3 hours  ???   Why!!??

The Danville water temps indicate that we have been having 2 degree fluctuations in water temps over the last several days.  Bad!! Don't like that!!

Water clarity is now 2 feet or better (with bright sun today). Bad!! Don't like that!!

Water levels have now fallen to the point in my area where shoreline eddies are gone.  Bad!! Don't like that!!

The previous 2 weeks presented perfect winter conditions where I fish. Those conditions are now gone. I can only hope for a warming trend that keeps the water temp more constant between 38-40 F but I don't see that happening anytime soon with nightime temps forecasted in the mid-20's.

Suggestion: I would not throw a tube in winter unless it was very small (under 3"). I would stick to smaller lures with smaller profiles. Strike King makes a 2 3/4" "Bitsey tube" and Cabin Creek makes a 2 3/4" tube also.

Bill

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:25:47 PM by DRY »

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 08:12:29 PM »

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 09:54:36 AM »
I picked up the smallest crawdads I could find, and darkest too. No interest in those, so I remembered you said you had some luck on a smoke colored tubes. So I gave it a whirl. I only saw 2 boats, thru the entire process of going to, fishing, and heading home. my drive allows me to drive more along the river, than not for the 7 miles to where I fish. Was a little surprised.   

Offline DRY

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 10:08:52 AM »
I picked up the smallest crawdads I could find, and darkest too. No interest in those, so I remembered you said you had some luck on a smoke colored tubes. So I gave it a whirl. I only saw 2 boats, thru the entire process of going to, fishing, and heading home. my drive allows me to drive more along the river, than not for the 7 miles to where I fish. Was a little surprised.

Winter is tough...the windows of opportunity are short...the rewards can be gratifying.

It also helps to have smallmouth bass trained to come when you whistle!!   ;) ::) :)

Bill
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 10:19:43 AM by DRY »

Offline DRY

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 12:36:29 PM »
Ken Maurer's article in the Sunbury Daily Item today confirms his experiences with fluctuating water temps and the affect it has on smallmouth bass.

Here is the quote from his article:

"This past week I hooked up the boat and dropped it in the river for the annual shakedown cruise. It was cold, the wind was blowing, and I was uncertain of my grip on reality. Then I saw several other flea-bitten, cabin-fevered boaters out there and I knew either I wasnít totally off my rocker or there were more just like me and it couldnít be too bad.

I fished with a fellow feversticken fishing fiend (say that three times quickly) for several hours.

We didnít catch anything, and we really needed a fish fix. But, it was not to be.

The water looked gorgeous, with that green tint and several feet of visibility. The problem was twofold. First, we were fishing above the fabridam.

River regulars know that fishing above the dam is about a hundred times harder than fishing below the fabridam.

Secondly, the water temperature was a not balmy 35 and 36 degrees. That said, 1 have caught lots of bass and walleye in 33 to 36 degree water. The difference is that when I caught them, the water had been that cold for an extended period. Right now, the fish are a little miffed because a week or two ago and for a while before that, the water had warmed up into the low 40s.

In the spring, when the water is slowly warming, the bite steadily intensifies. What really kills the bite is when we get colder weather and the water temperature drops. Walleye and musky donít mind it as much, but smallmouth act like theyíve been sucker-punched. They take their toys and crawl in a hole and pull a rock over their heads ó at least thatís what it seems like.

Give it a couple days of warmer temps, especially overnight, and those bubba smallies will be out on the prowl.

A couple of days of bright sunshine make a difference, too. Give me a few days of calm winds and bright sun this time of year, and Iíll show you a couple of chunker hog smallmouths."

You can read his entire column in the sports section of today's paper here:

http://dailyitem.cnhi.newsmemory.com/

Bill
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 03:18:27 PM by DRY »

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 12:36:29 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com