Author Topic: The "Ice Man" cometh  (Read 332 times)

troutman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
The "Ice Man" cometh
« on: January 11, 2022, 08:57:11 AM »
Sad for me...happy for the guys who like to stand on frozen water.

Can't get much lower than this....

I'll be sipping on hot cocoa, feeding the birds and watching Hallmark movies for the next 6-8 weeks...

Enjoy the ice!!!

Bill

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
Re: The "Ice Man" cometh
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 10:31:03 AM »

I'll be sipping on hot cocoa, feeding the birds and watching Hallmark movies for the next 6-8 weeks...

Your wife controls the remote?   ;D

Seriously though, it is said that the bite can be good after a warming trend for a few days.  How high does the water temp need to get?  If it is at 34d is a rise to 37d enough or does it need to get closer to 40d?

Offline Responsible_Angler

• Please give the fish CPR
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 11:02:15 AM »
Remember that guys catch fish through the ice so as long as the river is flowing open you can catch fish but you have to be at the right place at the right time. That being said, here's how long the average freshwater fish can go without food: A healthy, grown-up fish can go from 3 days to 1 whole week, without eating any food. Some fish species can even live for more than 2 weeks without eating. The question is. Can you let your lure sit motionless on the bottom for five to ten minutes or more until the fish decides it wants to eat your lure?

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 01:00:37 PM »
Too cold for me also! Much ice on the river? I do enjoy your bluebird and backyard pics!
Galatians 2:20

Online troutman

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 01:45:04 PM »
Yes bill im going tomorrow, to be on the ice is nice

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 04:12:45 PM »
I drove across the Wade Bridge today.  While not frozen solid the river had a lot of ice in it all the way across.

Offline DRY

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 05:51:03 PM »
Beautiful day today...air temps reached 42F

But Penns Creek is jammed with ice....

The main stem of the Susquehanna is relatively free of floating ice...but water temps are hovering between 32-33F and shore ice prevented me from any access...

You could almost launch a boat at the access ramp if you broke up the shore ice...

So me and Henry went to the range...breaking clay pigeons and clanging steel gongs...

Cold weather coming back again tomorrow...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bill

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 06:46:23 PM »
I havenít really been out. Above the dam the river is froze. Below the dam the water is moving . A lot of solid ice on the ground. Not worth taking a bad fall.

The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 08:15:23 AM »
-1 degree this morning. I guess itís time to sit by the fire and get my tackle better organized.
These cold temps are going to really freeze things up.

Saturday morning temps.

The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Offline DRY

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 08:46:03 AM »
... I guess itís time to sit by the fire and get my tackle better organized....

Yep...I was about that task earlier this week. Still sorting stuff that was in the boat when I sold it.

Can't believe how many senkos, river darters and G&W Krinkle cut worms that I have...

Thinking about selling a bunch of rods that I have made over the years too. Trouble is I hate packaging them and mailing them.

Also thinking about another Henry  :) ;D

Bill

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 03:05:44 PM »
Hi Bill,
Why don't you list your rods in the for sale section? I plan on building 3 rods this year. Depending on price i would maybe be interested. Can I assume perfect spine location and good spacings?
I finally found fiberglass blanks i am interested in. Shorter blanks are hard to find. i got these at jann's netcraft. I also have a 25+ years St Croix graphite blank I am using this year.
Phil

Offline DRY

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 03:21:39 PM »
...Depending on price i would maybe be interested. Can I assume perfect spine location and good spacings?...

Most of my blanks were Mud Hole MHX blanks with a few St. Croix and Rainshadow...most are built on 6.5-7.5 foot one-piece MLF blanks but I may have used a couple MF blanks.

I always checked the spine of the blank and the guides were always Fuji alconite and I used the Fuji "Concept" guide spacing chart to mount the guides.

When it gets warmer I will get a few of the rods out and put them on the site to see if there is any interest.

Bill
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 03:26:14 PM by DRY »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 09:37:07 AM »
The rainshadow is a new blank to me. It is the only 6' blank I could find. I am still chasing the performance I had on the 30+ years old brown St Croix fiberglass blanks for rattle traps. I have one Dale Clemens fiberglass blank left. Hard to believe back in those days St Croix was nobody compared to Fenwick and Loomis. Used to pay $14-15 for one of those blanks. I had bought extra St Croix graphite but not fiberglass.
Now one cannot buy St Croix blanks.

Offline DRY

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2022, 11:27:48 AM »
...I am still chasing the performance I had on the 30+ years old brown St Croix fiberglass blanks for rattle traps. ...I had bought extra St Croix graphite but not fiberglass.

Never used fiberglass blanks but Mud Hole has some...

https://mudhole.com/search?type=product&options%5Bprefix%5D=last&options%5Bunavailable_products%5D=show&q=fiberglass+rod+blanks

Bill

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2022, 01:07:39 PM »
Hi Bill,
Already have blanks. Fiberglass is superior for crankbaits.
Wow things have changed. Looking at the spin guides do you use up from the butt "reduction guides" for the first 2-3 up from the butt? I usually use 5 guides not counting tip, but the Fuji concept chart is specifying 8 guides? Seems like a lot!
Phil