112 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Penn State Stream Samplers Needed  (Read 2680 times)  Share 

Offline Responsible_Angler

• Please give the fish CPR
Penn State Stream Samplers Needed
« on: December 26, 2017, 08:36:45 AM »
Anyone wanting to help make a difference can volunteer to help Penn State take stream water samples.

http://lancasteronline.com/sports/outdoors/penn-state-looking-for-stream-samplers-for-study-on-bass/article_1871bdec-df7b-11e7-8006-9bf9bf2fc690.html

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Penn State Stream Samplers Needed
« on: December 26, 2017, 08:36:45 AM »

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
Re: Penn State Stream Samplers Needed
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 08:45:05 AM »
Sounds very worthwhile but at 75 miles to Harrisburg and 64 to Bloomsburg I'll be no help.  I'll bet Bill jumps on this.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 10:34:21 AM »
...  I'll bet Bill jumps on this.

Pardon my skepticism...but I believe I have the background knowledge and experience to say that this is...worthless...meaningless and will add very little to the solutions to the watershed problems.

I have been dealing with university educators, politicians and others in the field of biology since 1997 regarding issues in the Susquehanna River. I have presented Power Point programs to several groups and have been involved early on in "consumer awareness."
The problems with the watershed have been well defined by the enormous amount of science done primarily by the U.S. Geological Service. The chemical endocrine disruptor problem as the cause of watershed problems could not be any clearer. There is no single "causative agent" or "smoking gun." There are so many chemicals from so many causes it boggles one's mind. Politicians either have their heads stuck in the sand or in someone elses pocketbook or they do truly understand the insurmountable nature of the problem. The solution is without a simple answer; it will require enormous debt that will negatively impact the economy and will require the consumer to live much differently; neither of which are very popular.

"Citizen scientists" have been doing their thing for decades. I did it. When you examine closely the value gained for hours spent...it is negligible. It is a nice social endeavor and a way to use grant funding. It keeps some consumers feeling involved but has little real impact on the issues.

"Informed consumers" is another meaningless phrase. "We" as consumers are consuming the environment and we really don't want to change. You would think when you showed people the human medical and health issues surrounding chemical endocrine disruptor pollution that they would be really concerned and demand change. In my experience that is seldom the case. And medical science has a larger financial stake is finding cures than reducing the causes for medical disease.

I must stop being negative. I guess what I am saying is that there is a lot of "smoke and mirrors" and while it looks like things are getting done...little has changed and I am doubtful that it ever will.

No...I have no desire to help collect water samples.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 08:06:09 AM »
Well you sure jumped on it. ;D  I have no reason to doubt what your saying.  My knowledge of the river is very limited to say the least. 

Kind of like Schumer and Pelosi always ready to pass another gun law because "we have to do something."
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 08:06:09 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com