Recent

99 Guests, 3 Users
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 78

26 May 2018 - Plan C

I had to make a quick change of plans last evening 5/25/18 when I got to the launch and it was coned off. A quick inspection revealed that the river was just high enough to hide the ramp under muddy water. I could have made it but not wanting to upset anyone I went to plan B. Got my boat in the water but when I approached my spot there were a couple other boats already set up. This called for a plan C. I ran the boat a few miles further to the next big deep hole and got ready to fish. It was slow except for the very first line I put in must have hit a musky on the nose. I had a massive hit and when I went to set I felt the hook pull out of the gillbait and was sure I missed a nice cat. When I got the line back in the boat it was missing the hook with only a frayed piece of leader to tell the tale. So slow I switched to cut bait on a rod and quickly things started to get interesting. I picked at the cats and probably had about half a dozen when I decided to move down the hole 50 yards. Back to live bait and catching. I had really fast action here in spite of the nearly full moon directly over head. Then I hooked into a monster which turned out to be the heaviest channel cat I ever caught it was so big and heavy it was grotesque. I got two bad pics before I released it. while I was cleaning things up to leave I caught one more nice one but nothing like the Tank of the night. To get an idea of it just look at how long the one whisker is.
FM

19 May 2018 - Bowmans Headwaters

Bowmans Creek had some pH issues. Some Organizations banded together and brought in many truck loads of crushed limestone and dumped it into the creek to buffer the water. It seems to have worked based on my experience yesterday 5/18/18. I had the whole length of the creek to myself not another angler to be seen, in fact I only saw a half dozen vehicle all morning. I was looking for something different to do and saw that there was a trib of Bowman's listed as a wilderness trout stream. I had to see that for myself. I knew it was going to be an interesting day when I stepped out of my truck and spotted a wild flower that was new to me, still working on that. I had a few follows in the main creek then hit the trail to find the mouth of the feeder. I caught the one and only native from this trib in the first hole right at the mouth then went without luck for the mile that I hiked up through the beech and hemlocks. It is tough to sneak up on wild brookies in tiny creeks. They dart for cover at the first sign of danger. Bigger pools and the pools at the base of waterfalls provide me the best chance of catching. After this I decided to continue up the mountain and see what I could catch in Bowmans. I tried spots that looked promising in the stocked waters and caught a fish just about at every stop. One spot had another trib coming in and I followed it up a ways. Noticing a good layer of foam in a set back crevice I dragged a salted minnow through it and bingo caught a gorgeous brookie about 7 or 8 inches. Just a great time on a decent day.
FM

Found the plant ID:
Pedicularis canadensis - Wood Betony; Canadian Lousewort. Canadian Lousewort is found throughout the eastern 2/3 of the United States and Canada, all the way down into northern Florida. It has long been considered as having medicinal properties.

[img]https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/32950259_1682623348486401_8159263609751339008_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0eb464ec63133f1cafbf
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 78
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 10391
  • Total Topics: 1346
  • Online Today: 150
  • Online Ever: 468
  • (July 28, 2017, 03:46:58 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 99
Total: 105