96 Guests, 9 Users

Author Topic: How do invasive fish manage to invade??  (Read 221 times)  Share 

blackwalnut, Cat panfield, FM, IamRiver, 1iarrowking and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Brewguy

• River Rat
How do invasive fish manage to invade??
« on: April 17, 2018, 01:43:03 PM »
I was thinking about flat head catfish.  How do they manage to get past the york haven dam to make their way up to harrisburg.  I know they open the spillway a couple times a year, do the fish really swim up the current? 

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

How do invasive fish manage to invade??
« on: April 17, 2018, 01:43:03 PM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: How do invasive fish manage to invade??
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 02:43:32 PM »
I have attached a couple of interesting articles on the flathead catfish and the snakehead fish. The articles describe how and why they initially got into Pennsylvania and other eastern watersheds. Apparently the flathead is native to some parts of the U.S. but the snakehead is not.

https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.aspx?SpeciesID=750

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/09/northern_snakehead_invading_de.html

As far as getting across dams...many dams in PA are low head dams and during times of high water fish can get across the dams even with the current.
A number of dams in PA now have special fish ladders or elevators that help the fish get above the dam. I believe there is one around TMI/Brunners and there is one proposed for the York Haven Dam. They have even talked about a similar fish passage way at the Fabridam in Sunbury.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2015/04/fishway_near_york_haven_dam_to.html

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Online FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 12:23:03 PM »
People dumping out their snakehead aquarium fish are a big part. I saw a giant goldfish in the Delaware Canal once years ago. People releasing their catches into waters to "improve" the fishing is another. The term is "bait bucket biologists", Guys who think that they know what is better that the professionals. Lake Carey, when I was a kid there, never had smallmouth bass. Years later there is a thriving population of them that I was told were imported from Oneida Lake.
FM

Online Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 03:22:40 PM »
FM I think there is probably a lot of that and then nature takes care of the rest. 

Dry those were interesting links, thanks. 

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 03:22:40 PM »

Offline DRY

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 04:04:26 PM »
...Lake Carey, when I was a kid there, never had smallmouth bass. Years later there is a thriving population of them that I was told were imported from Oneida Lake.
FM

Is Lake Carey open to the public?
Is there boat access?
Is their shore access?

Any other decent smallmouth lakes in northern PA?

Thanks

Bill
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 04:06:15 PM by DRY »

Online Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 08:18:52 PM »
uh oh, Dry is about to go catch all those captive fish.  lol. 

You're in Sunbury right?  I don't know about the main lake but we have caught small mouth in the spillway of memorial lake at fort Indiantown gap, its about 1.5 hrs from sunbury.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:20:23 PM by Brewguy »

Offline DRY

« Reply #6 on: Today at 08:08:13 AM »
uh oh, Dry is about to go catch all those captive fish.  lol. 

You're in Sunbury right?  I don't know about the main lake but we have caught small mouth in the spillway of memorial lake at fort Indiantown gap, its about 1.5 hrs from sunbury.

Thanks. I have not fished Memorial myself but have talked to guys who have. Never seemed impressed, especially about it being a smallmouth fishery. This survey supports that belief.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/fisheries/afm/2005/7x05_06memorial.htm

But I'll look into it.
If I leave my paradise here to look for a lake smallmouth fishery I might prefer to go north than south.

Bill
« Last Edit: Today at 08:13:03 AM by DRY »

Online Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: Today at 08:48:43 AM »
That is interesting.  We caught two in a fairly short period of time.  Maybe someone "stocked" them and now they are breeding?  Again this was all down in the spill way.  It is about 8 feet deep and roughly 100 x 100 feet, lots of Pike, Pickerel and Musky in it too. 

« Reply #7 on: Today at 08:48:43 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com