114 Guests, 6 Users

Author Topic: General river conditions b/w Liverpool and Fort Hunter  (Read 2769 times)  Share 

Offline yakpacker

• River Rat
General river conditions b/w Liverpool and Fort Hunter
« on: February 08, 2018, 08:57:43 PM »
I'm looking to do a yakpacking trip with a couple of friends in mid-April, give or take a few weeks.  So far, I am thinking about putting in at Liverpool, floating 10.9 miles and camping out at island campsite 89 overnight.  Then the next day floating 11.8 miles and taking out at Fort Henry.  The reason I say floating is because we plan to do a good bit of fishing along the way with just a little bit of paddling here and there.  We'll also be in sit-in recreational kayaks without sprayskirts.  So far we have only done a trip like this through the Delaware Water Gap and we're looking for something similar (moving water, swift water, up to class I rapids).  Is the section I'm looking to do feasible for this type of trip?  Also, does this section of the river flow swift enough to float 10 miles in 5, 6, 7, or 8 hours, or does it feel more like flat water and it takes a lot more paddling?

Thanks for your help!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

General river conditions b/w Liverpool and Fort Hunter
« on: February 08, 2018, 08:57:43 PM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: General river conditions b/w Liverpool and Fort Hunter
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 10:03:05 PM »
Sounds like fun!!

Keep in mind that as of this point in time...smallmouth season is closed on that section of the Susquehanna starting May 1. Don't wait too long to do your float.

River flow will depend on run-off and spring rains. Hard to predict. I cannot translate flow rates in cf/s into mph travel time.

I do not believe there are any notable rapids in that section of river until you get to the Dauphin narrows just above Fort Hunter.

Not considering river flow rates...If the average kayaker can do anywhere from 2-3 mph paddling...your 11-12  mile trip would take 4-6 hours without fishing (of course if spring flows are high you may go a lot faster).

I've never floated this area so I really don't know.

I would suggest that you contact Blue Mountain Outfitters in Marysville PA which is in the section of water you plan to float and ask them these questions. They are very knowledgeable about that section of water.

http://bluemountainoutfitters.net/

Good luck!!

Bill

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 02:15:59 PM »
The advice Mr Dry has laid out is pretty accurate. Location of swifter currents and rapid location. I have drifted that area 1 time, and it was late summer. So height of the river is key to how fast the current will be. I do not remember the height, But would imagine the Harrisburg gauge was 3-3.5'. We needed to paddle most of the way. In fact the guy I was with initially thought it would take us 4-5 hours to float. Well it took us almost 8 hrs, and we paddled most of the way. At dauphin the flow picked up, just before the statue of liberty. To just below the statue, and it can get dicey right there. There is 1 more section of rapids just above  the Rockville train bridge, and about 1/2 mile below the train bridge. Once you are below that, it is calm all the way to Harrisburg. Being in sit in yaks, at that time of year, id want some skirt to protect me. Cold water and submerged rocks in probably a heavily stained water is not something id be comfortable with. So the advice of contacting blue mtn outfitters, would be high on my priority list. Please let us know how you make out, and hope it works out for you.

Offline johnfries7

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 02:16:16 PM »
the Schuylkill is raging and it looks like a glacial flow green geez it will take to mid march to level out

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 02:16:16 PM »

Offline yakpacker

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 03:20:46 PM »
Thanks for the imput.  I will definitely give Blue Mountain Outfitters a call. 

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 04:35:20 PM »
I checked a few spots today. River seems to be dropping nicely. I don't know if this rain is going to bring it up again or not.
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 04:35:20 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com