66 Guests, 9 Users

Author Topic: Good Friday cats and carp  (Read 588 times)  Share 

Online Brewguy

• River Rat
Good Friday cats and carp
« on: March 28, 2018, 08:29:11 AM »
I was thinking about taking the kids out to rockville on Friday to see if we can catch any catfish, carp or bass.  Does anyone think it's worth trying?  It seems the river is evening out height wise and the temp is rising. 

This will be our first attempt, am I right to target areas with little current, like behind some of the large boulders? 

The alternative spot was going to be the spillway at Memorial lake.  My brother in law catches pike in there and I hear there is cats and what not also. 

I'm open to any suggestions as I'd like to get on a couple fish.

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Good Friday cats and carp
« on: March 28, 2018, 08:29:11 AM »

Offline FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
Re: Good Friday cats and carp
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 11:41:54 AM »
I'm not familiar with either area but you are right to think that the fish will still be found in slack waters. I'd be looking for inside bends or spots where tribs have deposited rock in their mouth and created a natural wing dam. The rock out wash pictured below creates an eddy that extends for a few hundred yards and is home to all sorts of fish during the colder months including cats. Find something like this and your in. River flow is towards the bottom of the page.
FM

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 11:50:09 AM by FM »

Online Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 03:57:49 PM »
I'll keep an eye out for the slack current.  I'm really new to fishing the river so at this point its all learning.  Memorial lake is at fort indiantown gap, I'd really like to catch a pike too.  :)

Online dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 08:36:42 PM »
From the description FM posted. You may want to try the west Fairview boat launch, where the conodoguinet meets up with the river.

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 08:36:42 PM »

Online Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 09:42:08 AM »
I appreciate the tips.  Friday we are going to Memorial.  Saturday will try for some trout and maybe Sunday hit the river.  I did fish west fairview for cats this fall but the water level was really low and the area around the mouth of the creek is pretty shallow.  Small mouth might be biting though. 

Online dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 07:06:11 PM »
Try under the bridges, some holes. Also the mouth of Shermans creek in Duncannon.

Online Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 07:51:48 PM »
Thought I'd follow up.  We went to memorial lake Friday, caught my first Pickerel and a small mouth.  Saturday tried for trout, didn't catch any, so we hit a pond and managed two sunfish.  Today we caught two big carp, one was 21 pounds the other 31" long.  Forgot to get a length on the first and the second the scale was dead.  Caught some sunfish too, things are heating up.  I'm still a bit shy of the river.  Maybe when things get heated up Dereck can take me out and hold my hand through it..   ;D

I have to say, catching these carp is so much fun, the kids love it.

Offline FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 08:52:12 AM »
Good for you. Carp are a blast. I have a spot for them in May. Two or three night crawlers on a catfish hook and look out.
FM

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 08:52:12 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com