Recent

114 Guests, 6 Users

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 79

31 May 2018 - Surprise!!

High, muddy. fast water and full moon have the smallmouth confused. Makes my job tough.
Only 2 smallies today

But this little 13" beauty hit one of my river darters. This is a flathead catfish. At least 10 miles from the confluence with the Susquehanna and not that far from the trout waters of this wonderful trib.

I'm anxiously awaiting snakeheads next... ;)  :)

Bill

26 May 2018 - Plan C

I had to make a quick change of plans last evening 5/25/18 when I got to the launch and it was coned off. A quick inspection revealed that the river was just high enough to hide the ramp under muddy water. I could have made it but not wanting to upset anyone I went to plan B. Got my boat in the water but when I approached my spot there were a couple other boats already set up. This called for a plan C. I ran the boat a few miles further to the next big deep hole and got ready to fish. It was slow except for the very first line I put in must have hit a musky on the nose. I had a massive hit and when I went to set I felt the hook pull out of the gillbait and was sure I missed a nice cat. When I got the line back in the boat it was missing the hook with only a frayed piece of leader to tell the tale. So slow I switched to cut bait on a rod and quickly things started to get interesting. I picked at the cats and probably had about half a dozen when I decided to move down the hole 50 yards. Back to live bait and catching. I had really fast action here in spite of the nearly full moon directly over head. Then I hooked into a monster which turned out to be the heaviest channel cat I ever caught it was so big and heavy it was grotesque. I got two bad pics before I released it. while I was cleaning things up to leave I caught one more nice one but nothing like the Tank of the night. To get an idea of it just look at how long the one whisker is.
FM

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 79
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 10471
  • Total Topics: 1356
  • Online Today: 131
  • Online Ever: 468
  • (July 28, 2017, 03:46:58 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 114