Author Topic: corona LM  (Read 5933 times)

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
Re: corona LM
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2020, 10:38:56 AM »
Last year with the fishing so slow at Harrisburg and the water so low I was contemplating trying down at Muddy Creek because I saw Phil was catching some down there.  I never did it because of the long tow and all the construction on the route.  I may have to try it before the skiers and the jet skies come out.  Thanks for the map.  Unlike Zelmo, up at Harrisburg when the gauge gets below 4 feet I usually hit something but usually not while I'm flying.  I don't go once it gets lower than 3.7.  So far the Rockproof has been rock proof but I don't want to test it to the limit. :D I went there a few weeks ago and got skunked.  I have mostly fished out of Harrisburg because it's the quickest tow for me at 1 1/4 hours.

Do you go out of City Island or Fort Hunter?  Not sure where you are that it is over an hour but have you considered the Juniata?  You would be fine in a Rockproof.

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2020, 11:01:47 AM »
Weekend afternoons on Frederic are an absolute zoo.  Since I retired I only go on weekdays.

In addition to the general crowd there is a jet ski ramp just upstream from the main ramp.  Those idiots buzz all around the ramp area making it worse than it needs to be.

I've been totally retired since 2009 and semi retired for quite a few years before that so I don't do anything on weekends except archery hunt deer on my own property or go trap or skeet shooting.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2020, 11:39:59 AM »
Last year with the fishing so slow at Harrisburg and the water so low I was contemplating trying down at Muddy Creek because I saw Phil was catching some down there.  I never did it because of the long tow and all the construction on the route.  I may have to try it before the skiers and the jet skies come out.  Thanks for the map.  Unlike Zelmo, up at Harrisburg when the gauge gets below 4 feet I usually hit something but usually not while I'm flying.  I don't go once it gets lower than 3.7.  So far the Rockproof has been rock proof but I don't want to test it to the limit. :D I went there a few weeks ago and got skunked.  I have mostly fished out of Harrisburg because it's the quickest tow for me at 1 1/4 hours.
The closest ramps for me are Long Level and Aldred. However I really do not care for those areas. Long level crowds are insane. I do not know Aldred very well. I know when it is drawn down its brutal. Muddy Creek is 21 miles but takes me 45 minutes. Almost never fish the weekends and fish there in the summer. April and May Raystown.  I had some good days last year but not great. Always fish the evenings. Maybe I should try the mornings a little more. I rarely go up the west side towards the rocks because of the swimmers. I do not head to the Holtwood tail race but I do see a lot of fishermen go there. Maybe I should. I will try to draw the other route.
Phil

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2020, 10:52:29 AM »
Do you go out of City Island or Fort Hunter?  Not sure where you are that it is over an hour but have you considered the Juniata?  You would be fine in a Rockproof.

I live half way between Allentown and Hamburg. I mostly fish out of City Island which is 75 miles but it's all interstate except for Harrisburg. I have never been to Fort Hunter but I run up to the ledge at Rockville.   I used to fish at Bloomsburg when they used to close the river between Sunbury and Holtwood.  It's 65 miles and I like fishing there but the tow up 309 is horrible.  I took out a wheel bearing and axle on the trailer the first year I had this boat.  Any place in between Bloomsburg and C I adds miles.  I've also gone to Columbia when C I was too shallow.  It's only about 3 miles further than C I but 222 sucks and it takes at least 1 1/2 hours, plus we never did that well there although I can't remember ever getting skunked.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2020, 12:12:22 PM »
I live half way between Allentown and Hamburg. I mostly fish out of City Island which is 75 miles but it's all interstate except for Harrisburg. I have never been to Fort Hunter but I run up to the ledge at Rockville.   I used to fish at Bloomsburg when they used to close the river between Sunbury and Holtwood.  It's 65 miles and I like fishing there but the tow up 309 is horrible.  I took out a wheel bearing and axle on the trailer the first year I had this boat.  Any place in between Bloomsburg and C I adds miles.  I've also gone to Columbia when C I was too shallow.  It's only about 3 miles further than C I but 222 sucks and it takes at least 1 1/2 hours, plus we never did that well there although I can't remember ever getting skunked.

I see.  Going up to the Juniata would add 15 miles or so to your trip, but any reason you don't launch at Fort Hunter?  That would actually save you some miles and put you near the Rockville bridge.  From there you could head upstream or downstream.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 12:46:53 PM by zelmo »

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2020, 01:28:27 PM »
I see.  Going up to the Juniata would add 15 miles or so to your trip, but any reason you don't launch at Fort Hunter?  That would actually save you some miles and put you near the Rockville bridge.  From there you could head upstream or downstream.

Maybe I should try that.  I never did because looking at the map, you can't go very far south until your at the ledge that I run up to and it looks like it's not very far to the Dauphin Narrows.  Of course if your catching fish it doesn't matter if you can't run very far.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2020, 01:52:59 PM »
Maybe I should try that.  I never did because looking at the map, you can't go very far south until your at the ledge that I run up to and it looks like it's not very far to the Dauphin Narrows.  Of course if your catching fish it doesn't matter if you can't run very far.

There is a channel through the narrows.  Of course you need to know where it is.