Author Topic: Turkey Day fishing  (Read 300 times)

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
Turkey Day fishing
« on: November 25, 2021, 06:39:43 PM »
My sons arenít going to visit until December so I didnít have anything going on today.  Add to that the weather forecast was the best of the week so I got my wifeís blessing to hit the river. 

I wasnít sure what to expect.  Was it going to be busy like a normal holiday, or would it be light because of the time of year and THIS holiday?

It was cold early so I decided to go later and launch around 10:00.  When I got to the ramp the lot at FH was almost half full.  Thatís not terrible but busy enough.  After I launched I found a spot to fish without another boat in sight.  That lasted about 15 minutes when another boat muscled in and wanted to fish shoulder to shoulder with me.  Adding insult to injury was the fact that there was a female on the boat who was a chatterbox.  She never shut up.  Since I didnít need to be near someone who reminded me of my wife I motored about 500 yards away. 

After about an hour the other boat left after not catching anything so I drifted back to that area and picked up a couple fish.  By that time the air temp was up a bit and the sun started to peek in and out.  I wound up in the right place at the right time with the right bait and proceeded to catch 15 on 20 casts.  I didnít get a 20 incher but had two that were only a half inch shy.  The smallest of the rest was 15Ē.  I did lose one that I think was bigger than all of them but that is speculation.

By 2:30 the bite had died off and I decided to head back to the ramp.  I am glad I did.  There were still 8 trailers in the lot, and while I didnít have to jockey with anyone else in another hour I am sure it would have been busy with everyone trying to take out.

The final tally was 19 fish with the smallest at 15Ē.   I consider that a good day.  Iím sure the guides do better but I donít know that many spots to hit.

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
Re: Turkey Day fishing
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 11:05:26 PM »
Good trip! It's a load of fun when you hit a spot where the fish are stacked up and ready to eat
Galatians 2:20

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 06:18:26 AM »
Sounds great!

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 09:41:58 AM »
Good trip! It's a load of fun when you hit a spot where the fish are stacked up and ready to eat

Over the years I have had it happen but I am not a good enough fisherman to know why.  There are so many variables.  I started keeping notes a year ago when I got the jet but in the beginning they were geared more towards navigating the river at different levels than fishing the river.  My notes got better starting in the beginning of the summer.

The next time I get out I am going to experiment a little.  I am hoping I found a wintering spot and the fish are still there.  I'll hit that same spot earlier and try a few different baits.  If the bite is good I'll stay put until it runs out.  If not I'll leave and come back later and try again.  Regardless I want to try a larger variety of lures.  Yesterday most of my catching was on a watermelon Smallie Delight (now renamed Big Willie.)  I want to play around with different sizes, colors, and even style of lure to see what works and what doesn't.

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 01:42:04 PM »
Nice report!
I would call that a great day! Donít get much better than that.
Couple questions without giving up location.
Was you in fast current?
1/8 or 1/4 oz

Thanksgiving is busy for me. Done 5 turkeys this year, usually do more.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 03:21:04 PM »
I wasn't in really fast water, but it wasn't slack either.  Just mid-river flow through a deeper pool.

The big action came on that Willie on a 1/8 oz football head.  I fished it a long while without getting hung up so I believe it was getting taken downstream and just barely bouncing the bottom.  I did catch one on a 1/4 oz jig and pig, and another on a 1/8 oz hair jig with a Willie Wanna Be trailer.  Rounding out the catching was a shad shape worm on a 1/16 oz slider head.

I made many casts with different jerkbaits but didn't get a strike.  Also odd was that my go-to kut tail worm on a spyder head didn't get bit.  In all fairness I don't know if that is relevant as I didn't throw those in the heavy action.  The Willie was working and I didn't lose it so I didn't change.

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 09:37:02 PM »
Zelmo thanks for the reply.
For me the Nedís on 1/10 head has been my steady performer. But the colors has changed.
PBJ, green pumpkin and yoga pants.
Havenít fished a jerkbait this fall and not really sure why. They usually perform, have fished cranks but not jerks.

Iím afraid We will soon be running out of time on the river. Worried about ice...Wind is going to be bad the next 3-4 days.
Good Luck keep after it!

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 10:14:46 PM »
Will have to try the PBJ color, not one that I've ever fished.
The shad shaped worm use to be one I fished alot but haven't pulled it out in a couple yrs. Need to bring that back.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 11:17:13 PM by Heavyduty »

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2021, 11:41:08 PM »
This is off topic but I have a Ned story. 

I first heard about it 5 or 6 years ago.  Since I normally use 1/4 or 1/8 oz heads I got 1/6 and 1/5 Shroom heads to use with the TRD.  I caught a SM on the first cast with it.  My immediate reaction was that I had found THE bait. 

As with many things fishing it didnít turn out that way.  I used it often that year but didnít catch another fish with it.   After that it made itís way to the bottom of the tackle bag.  At some point this year I got serious about learning how to use it.  What I discovered is that it is intended to have a balance between the head and the bait so that it has a just slightly negative bouyancy.   That isnít easy since each of the baits has a different salt content and it leaches out at different rates.  I got the smaller heads and found that the 1/20 head worked we for me. 

Making that change dramatically improved my results.  I now have 2 of those rigs on the deck ready to go.   

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 06:31:25 AM »
Zelmo
Ha  :) I hear you on lures falling to the bottom of the tackle box.
At one point I used to be a jig N pig and a slider worm guy. The slider worm has fell to the way side. I guess to be replaced by the Ned.
Tubes have also been neglected this year. Caught a few fish but I havenít fish them like other years.

Heavyduty prefect perch is another color that was working earlier in the year.

Might try a little bank fishing today if the wind isnít to brutal.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2021, 09:35:57 AM »
This is off topic but I have a Ned story. 

I first heard about it 5 or 6 years ago.  Since I normally use 1/4 or 1/8 oz heads I got 1/6 and 1/5 Shroom heads to use with the TRD.  I caught a SM on the first cast with it.  My immediate reaction was that I had found THE bait. 

As with many things fishing it didnít turn out that way.  I used it often that year but didnít catch another fish with it.   After that it made itís way to the bottom of the tackle bag.  At some point this year I got serious about learning how to use it.  What I discovered is that it is intended to have a balance between the head and the bait so that it has a just slightly negative bouyancy.   That isnít easy since each of the baits has a different salt content and it leaches out at different rates.  I got the smaller heads and found that the 1/20 head worked we for me. 

Making that change dramatically improved my results.  I now have 2 of those rigs on the deck ready to go.
I pour my own from the so called midwestern jig head. For the river I use 1/16oz. Very slow fall! However in the lakes this autumn I started this year using heavier heads. The fish are not shallow there. i knew it would payoff when the bluegills and perch would take it. I thought it was going to be too fast! Even the 1/16 oz casts like a bullet! I am going to keep a heavier one handy next spring at the pond.

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2021, 12:41:46 PM »
I'll have to try the perfect perch.

The hula stickz is one bait that I have success with year round but especially when I come up to the Susky. Depending upon current, I'll use a 1/8 or 3/16 ned head, want it bumping along the bottom. Like Zelmo mentioned about salt content, the trick with these is to stretch the devil out of them. I pull them and let them snap back 50 times before I put it on the head. You'll feel the salt popping out. Also stretch the tentacles several times so they separate. This stretching gets rid of the shine and roughs up the surface as well. I have so much success with green pumpkin that I haven't tried any of the other colors.
After you catch a bunch of fish and the bait tears a little at the hook bend, I'll cut off a 1/2" and re-rig it. I have as much or more success as this bait gets shorter, starts to look like the TRD Tickler they came out with.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2021, 10:21:03 PM »
I was able to get out again on 12/1 and I did what I said previously.  I went back to the spot that was hot last week.  I threw the same bait a little with no results so I tried many others but didnít get results from them either.  I moved around some and picked up one on the shad shape.  I made sure that I was back in THE spot at 11:30 which is when it turned on last week.  The sun started peeking out and I caught 3 before it shut down at noon. 

With no other bites I headed back to the ramp at 2:00.  I was surprised to find that the parking lot only had a few empty spots.  When I had launched at 10:00 it was less than half full.  Looking back at Turkey Day I would definitely say it was less crowded then.  Thatís info I will put in my notes for future reference. 

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2021, 01:41:37 PM »
Zelmo with me, Itís their biting or there not. Usually hit or miss.
Our launch parking lots have been pretty bare.

A few deer hunters and once in awhile duck hunter.
Not much fishing pressure it seems.