Author Topic: How I pass the long winter days  (Read 6237 times)

Offline Gundog

How I pass the long winter days
« on: February 26, 2016, 11:19:22 AM »
So as some people know, I hate winter. I tried ice fishing and couldn't get into it. But I did find something to make the winter somewhat bearable. I searched youtube and found videos on tying hair jigs. I bought a cheap vice and a bit of material and gave it a go. The end result is an interesting new collection of lures (and you know how I love to collect lures). Here is a pic of some of those new hair jigs. Can't wait till spring to give them a try.

There's a fine line between fishing....and standing on the shore like an idiot

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: How I pass the long winter days
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 12:29:48 PM »
Like you...I could never get serious about ice fishing. Probably because for most of my fishing career here on the Susquehanna I had a warm water discharge right up the road with good smallmouth fishing all winter.
Like you... I have always enjoyed making things with my hands. What I made never had to be perfect, or pretty or valuable...but what I made was always functional... and it was used and enjoyed because I had made it.
Those hair jigs look good!!
I went through that phase and used every natural and synthetic fiber I could get my hands on to make jigs. It is a great hobby for a cold winter day.
Personally, I eventually came to the conclusion that I did better with rubber imitations but I still carry a couple of small, black deer hair jigs just in case.  :)

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline fishfinder

• fish hard, bend your rod
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 11:49:32 AM »
Nice ties Gundog. I also enjoy tying my own jigs...crappie/panfish jigs and just started picking up dyed bucktails to make river jigs. Noticed you use Krystal flash on some of them...I really like adding that bit of flash to my jigs, I think it makes a big difference. Again, nice looking jigs bud.

Offline shiver318

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 07:55:59 PM »
I've been doing the same this winter with the short ice season, pouring tube jigs and tying up bucktails. Think I have enough for couple of years!!! Keeps me from doing anything crazy like cleaning the cellar!!

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 07:05:51 AM »
Keeps me from doing anything crazy like cleaning the cellar!!

LMAO :)..,,!!!!!!
I HEAR YOU BROTHER. ;)
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!