114 Guests, 7 Users

Author Topic: Magic temperature  (Read 326 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Magic temperature
« on: December 17, 2018, 04:36:10 PM »
After breakfast my wife and I did some cardio at Planet Fitness...Whew!!!  My daughter (whose 42) says we need it or we might die young. Geez!! I'm 72 ...I think I'd rather die on the river than at the gym.  ;)  :)

On the way home we visited my mistress (No...my wife doesn't mind).  :D

She looked pretty good considering all the rain. So...I had a choice of shootin' paper or visiting her today...tough choice but I'll choose the fickle mistress every time.

Air 43 F and water 40F (that is my magical number in winter)... 'twas slow at first and I resorted to a black hair jig which I seldom use.

This 3 pounder and his smaller cousin scarfed it up...

They didn't seem interested in the smaller jigs today...so I tied on a little larger jig called a "Cold Water Smallie Delight"...it is a larger version of the diminutive "Willie Wannabe"... this picture shows the 2 jigs together....

Picked up 5 more bass over 2 hours...three of which were between 3 and 4 pounds.

River is rising but I'm hoping we stay near that magical water temp!!

Bill

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Magic temperature
« on: December 17, 2018, 04:36:10 PM »

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
Re: Magic temperature
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 10:03:42 PM »
Nice outing, quality fish!
What's your thoughts regarding the silicone strands on the Chillie Willie? Are you fishing them painfully slow, bumping along the bottom? I would assume you are, so my thinking is the added motion of the strands in the current brings the bait to life, much like the hair on a hair jig.
Thoughts on weight? Higher water, stronger current, so heavier weight? But I would think you are fishing more slack water in eddies so lighter weight. Do you think a heavier weight gives you a better feel when in contact with the bottom? Random questions, picking your brain......thanks!
Galatians 2:20

Online johnfries7

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 11:15:13 PM »
jeez o man bill good going jf7

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 07:21:32 AM »
...What's your thoughts regarding the silicone strands on the Chillie Willie? Are you fishing them painfully slow, bumping along the bottom? I would assume you are, so my thinking is the added motion of the strands in the current brings the bait to life, much like the hair on a hair jig.
Thoughts on weight? Higher water, stronger current, so heavier weight? But I would think you are fishing more slack water in eddies so lighter weight. Do you think a heavier weight gives you a better feel when in contact with the bottom? ...

Fish feel motion in the water more than they see visually...especially in stained water. They feel the movement of the silicone strands waving in the current...I believe even more than the hair on a hair jig.
Hardly ever use more than a 1/8 oz. winter fishing close to shore when the river is running fast.
Throw it upstream into the current and let the current bring it into the seam between fast and slow and let it sit there. Then...do whatever is needed to illicit a take...either 1. slow lift and drop 2. short quick lift and drop 3. or....just let the jig sit there and shake the wrist periodically like you had a hand tremor (I call it the the Parkinson's shake).
When the water is lower and the fish are out farther away from shore I will use a 3/16 oz. which seems to be plenty of weight to feel the bottom in 3-5 feet of water on this section of the river.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 07:21:32 AM »

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 04:13:23 PM »
Fish feel motion in the water more than they see visually...especially in stained water. They feel the movement of the silicone strands waving in the current...I believe even more than the hair on a hair jig.
Hardly ever use more than a 1/8 oz. winter fishing close to shore when the river is running fast.
Throw it upstream into the current and let the current bring it into the seam between fast and slow and let it sit there. Then...do whatever is needed to illicit a take...either 1. slow lift and drop 2. short quick lift and drop 3. or....just let the jig sit there and shake the wrist periodically like you had a hand tremor (I call it the the Parkinson's shake).
When the water is lower and the fish are out farther away from shore I will use a 3/16 oz. which seems to be plenty of weight to feel the bottom in 3-5 feet of water on this section of the river.

Bill

Thank you sir, I appreciate your feedback!
Galatians 2:20

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 04:13:23 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com