115 Guests, 7 Users

Author Topic: Did the regulations change?  (Read 446 times)  Share 

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
Did the regulations change?
« on: December 30, 2018, 11:20:00 AM »
I went to the PFBC website to find out the exact day in April that the lower part of the river closes for bass fishing and couldn't find it.  What I did find was that from 4/13 to 6/14 no tournaments are permitted, while it is catch and release all year.  Nothing about a closed season.

Did they change this for 2019?

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Did the regulations change?
« on: December 30, 2018, 11:20:00 AM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: Did the regulations change?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 12:27:49 PM »
I went to the PFBC website to find out the exact day in April that the lower part of the river closes for bass fishing and couldn't find it.  What I did find was that from 4/13 to 6/14 no tournaments are permitted, while it is catch and release all year.  Nothing about a closed season.

Did they change this for 2019?

Yep...I just looked at the rules for the main stem and it looks like there is no closed season for smallmouth in 2019. Catch and release all year. But they will fine you if they think you are fishing spawning beds. This will allow river guides to fish all year as long as they avoid spawning areas in the Spring.
It also appears that all tournaments on the main stem, when they are allowed,  must be catch, weigh and immediate release. No dock weigh-ins. No livewells. This might be different...not sure.

Bill
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 12:53:05 PM by DRY »
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 01:39:11 PM »

It also appears that all tournaments on the main stem, when they are allowed,  must be catch, weigh and immediate release. No dock weigh-ins. No livewells. This might be different...not sure.

I think that is different also.  If memory serves me correctly there weren't any tournaments allowed all year before.  Not even catch and release.  It gave me peace of mind that I wouldn't run into them at the ramp.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 05:23:44 PM »
I think that is different also.  If memory serves me correctly there weren't any tournaments allowed all year before.  Not even catch and release.  It gave me peace of mind that I wouldn't run into them at the ramp.

Yes...if this is correct...
I never thought that the tournament guys would agree to Golden Rule
Tournaments...that is no weigh in at the dock

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 05:23:44 PM »

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 08:35:36 AM »
When the PFBC held meeting at Selinsgrove - the tournament guys and a guide wanted to keep the waters closed during the spawn for a few more years. Guess we lost.
More fish are lost due to the stress of being caught multiple times during the spawn and abandoning the eggs.... truly sad.

Offline Responsible_Angler

• Please give the fish CPR
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 09:13:24 AM »
When the PFBC held meeting at Selinsgrove - the tournament guys and a guide wanted to keep the waters closed during the spawn for a few more years. Guess we lost.
More fish are lost due to the stress of being caught multiple times during the spawn and abandoning the eggs.... truly sad.

I agree and as I mentioned on this site before, it's easy fishing so only the good guys stayed away from the closed areas. 

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 09:13:24 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com