115 Guests, 7 Users

Author Topic: Winter smallmouth and gas prices  (Read 443 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Winter smallmouth and gas prices
« on: January 03, 2019, 12:47:30 PM »
Just had my second meal of pork and sauerkraut...no luck yet!!  ;)  :)

I've noticed that winter smallmouth fishing is like gas prices. One one station raises or lowers its prices and the same day the station down the street does the same thing. There's got to be some mechanism that makes that happen.

I winter fish a shoreline of about 1.5 miles. Along that shoreline are spots that I know from experience are places where winter smallmouth hang out. Occasionally one spot will hold a fish when others do not but I've noticed that most of the time the bass are like gas stations...when they have lockjaw in one spot...they usually have lockjaw everywhere...when they are in a feeding mood...they are in that same mood everywhere. It would be nice to figure out what mechanism makes that happen but I'm just not smart enough.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Winter smallmouth and gas prices
« on: January 03, 2019, 12:47:30 PM »

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
Re: Winter smallmouth and gas prices
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:24:33 PM »
Tell me when you find the answer! Those lockjaw days tend to make me question everything; fishing too fast, too slow, too deep, too shallow, bait size and color, etc. Then you read online where others are having an epic day throwing the same thing you were......go figure. Oh well, at least you're fishing. You still had the red thread and flashabou on the undulator, correct?
Galatians 2:20

Online johnfries7

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 10:58:13 PM »
you are still my hero bill. jf7

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 08:31:11 AM »
...You still had the red thread and flashabou on the undulator, correct?

Yep!!  The last 2 days the river rose 2+ feet...not muddy... water temp staying around 39-40F...with some good eddies...but nary a nibble and I threw my entire fishing vest at them  ::)  :)

I need more sauerkraut  ;)  ;D

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 08:31:11 AM »

Offline zeb

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 12:13:55 PM »
They are finally catching on to you. When you show up, they spread the word. It's like one if by land (shoreline), or two if by sea (boat). It was bound to happen sooner or later.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 07:40:47 PM by zeb »

Offline icemole

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 01:08:06 PM »
 A few years back we were ice fishing on a Pocono lake and I had my new hand held GPS along. There is a Hunt/Fish table as one of the functions, so after little action for most of the morning I checked the table(not that I have much faith in those things). Turns out at that location it was a "poor" day, I checked mt home location in the SE same "poor" day. So since the fish weren't biting I checked various locations around the US and then the World...not a "good" day anywhere - the entire planet was locked into "poor".  If I remember right it stayed "poor" for most of February according to that table.... :o

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 01:43:34 PM »
A few years back we were ice fishing on a Pocono lake and I had my new hand held GPS along. There is a Hunt/Fish table as one of the functions, so after little action for most of the morning I checked the table(not that I have much faith in those things). Turns out at that location it was a "poor" day, I checked mt home location in the SE same "poor" day. So since the fish weren't biting I checked various locations around the US and then the World...not a "good" day anywhere - the entire planet was locked into "poor".  If I remember right it stayed "poor" for most of February according to that table.... :o

That's hilarious!! But now we have an answer!!  ;D

Yep!!  The last 2 days the river rose 2+ feet...not muddy... water temp staying around 39-40F...with some good eddies...but nary a nibble and I threw my entire fishing vest at them  ::)  :)

Bill

Then I have nothing........cast net maybe?  ;)
Galatians 2:20

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 01:43:34 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com