FM

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Re: topwater saturday night.
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 11:03:58 AM »

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 11:27:20 AM »
Nice fish! Im too high strung to fish jitterbugs or topwaters at night. Ive tried and luckily I never hooked anyone only scared the SH%^* out of myself and anyone fishing with me when a jitterbug came screaming back in our faces in the dark.  When a bass blows up on that chug,chug,chug sound at the end of my line in the dark, TAKE COVER!! Cause i cant control myself, I cant wait till I feel the weight of the fish I have to set the hook NOW! and it rarely works out for me. So im not that into topwaters. Good for you tho, nice fish!

LMAO.I use to do the same thing as you, hear the splash.Pull like a MADD MAN.THEN A BIG MISS.and a wack to the back of the head with my dads rod tip.He would say{{WAIT TO YOU FEEL THE PULL}}Then he nicked named me miss, as in missing the fish.My nick name was miss for about 2 years.AND a few dozen wacks to the back of the head with dads rod tip.Then i learned to wait for the pull.
I remember missing one on a jitterbug on a black nite,i pulled and for some reason  thought i better put my hand infront of my face ,lucky i did i got both hooks of the jitter bug in my hand.That kinda helped me learn to wait for the pull of the fish.
Dont give up on the JITTERBUG,Its a proven killer for decades.Just try to learn to get the skill to wait till the fish is on before you pull.Sometimes youll hear 3 or 4 splashes before you hook the fish.I know its hard but get out and practice.The river will be getting hot soon for topwater and i have gotten them on the lakes allready.HARVEYS last saturday and a Few friday on WINOLA before trout fishing.
                                               GOOD LUCK.
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Offline zziipp

• A LIL LESS BITCHN AND A LOT MORE FISHN. "ZZIIPP"
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »
once you get use to not pulling the trigger early it can be really productive. theres nights when we catch loads of them. also the right rod helps in hook sets. i use a med 7 ft ugly stix. i find the tip fast and soft enough to give on the pull but not so hard and stiff that on slight misses it doest pop the bug to far ahead and stop the 2nd or third hit from happening.also i fish with my rod to one side or the other like in the 3 or 4 oclock on the right or the 8 or 9 oclock position on the left side this way if you do pull the trigger early once in a while you dont whip it air born and have it whiz back to you.if your rod tips low the lure will only move a lil ahead in the water and you can continue your retrieve and usually the fish will continue the pursuit.the high rod positions of 10 - 2 oclock posistion will result in airborn lures on big misses and pulling the trigger hard and early.keep your rod to the side and low and you wont have to worry about a face full of hooks and on early hooksets or big misses you will keep your lure in the water and will get follow up hits more often.ive had bass swipe at it 4, 5 and even more times than that till they get it hooked in their mouth.if i do have to keep my rod high in the air to follow lil pathways throgh grass and lilys i still try to keep it off to one side or another and not straight in front of me.with the right rod and patience you will almost never have to set the hook hard the fish will do it on the pull with only a slight tug from you. make sure your hooks are sharp and they will set themselves almost every time.i love fishing in total darkness i only use my headlamp to guage the area im casting to and then swith it off and cast and retrieve in the dark.ive spooked fish that have followed my bug right to the shore and have my headlamp light shine on them. its awsome just listening to that lure going blop blop blop and the wham you hear the big splash. its addictive. hope this helps you guys who dont do the jitterbug lol. you really are missing out on some hot fishing at night when the bug will get it done and nothing else will entice them.and the spookiest thing i have happen is when your fishing waters with beavers in them and they glide close to you in the dark and they slam thier tail down it will almost make you chit your pants lol. ive also heard crunching behind me on the shore and turn around and put my light on and have had deer walking on the shore behind me.or when you hear a pack of yotes go off right at dark with in 50 yds of ya. that will make your neck hair stand up lol.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 05:00:16 PM by zziipp »
WAIST HIGH IN WATER AND KNEE DEEP IN FISH.LIFE IS GOOD.
                          "ZZIIPP"

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 05:01:44 PM »
Good post zip, you're making me drool for night time topwater action.

Rau, I think zip hit the nail right on the head when he said "you will almost never have to set the hook hard"

I keep the rod tip low too, mostly to get the front scoop of the jitterbug to create the swimming bubbling action the bass love.  When I get a hit I just lift the rod tip, sort of like fly fishing, no need to do a "booyah" bass master style hook set, just a quick gentle lift of the rod.   You will miss a few, some nights quite a few, other nights they seem to really eat it and you get a lot more hookups, more often than not though the blow up and miss is part of the action.  I usually go right back after them in the same spot and many times they will hit it again.

The debate over weather to wait or set the hook quickly will go on forever.  I've had nights when I had blow up after blow up and no hooked fish.  I've waited to set the hook and still nothing.  My personal theory is to lift the rod as you always would, if the fish is on it you have a shot at him.  I think this is more difficult with scum frogs and those types of lures.  They have less hooks and are weedless, I get 10 times more hits than hookups with those types of baits most of the time.

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 05:01:44 PM »

Offline zziipp

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 05:12:22 PM »
heres just a few of what your missing if you dont top water fish.

"ZZIIPP"

Offline spider1

• River Rat
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 08:13:25 AM »
zziipp, you are 100% right and those hogs you and Andy are holdin prove you know what yer talkin about. Dang, now I can't wait... I'm might have to take tomorrow off and hit the lake late tonight!

And don'tcha just love when them yote's start howlin just out of flashlight range! ;D

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 08:39:35 AM »
Nice fish guys.GLAD your getting into them.I almost wish i wasent going to NY.this weekend.That Striped JITTERBUG Andy is holding is 1 of my favorites.I love the Broken BACKS TOO.
Im hopeing to get into some top water action on CANNONSVILLE this weekend.The smallies are HOT NOW at the DAM.TROUT in the mornings ,Smallies in the evenings.IN BETWEEN is BEER TIME LOL.
                    KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK,POSTING THESE PICS.
                                   CONGRATS ON THOSE PIGGS :) :)
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Offline WADMAN

• River Rat
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »
Awesome fish guys! Getting few on top water in some local lakes.     -ZERO- on river.

Won't be long, Thick Mayfly hatch well north of Duncannon. Couldn't even cast down river there were so many blowing in the wind!

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »

Offline lungbuster

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 09:31:15 PM »
Fished top water from 6pm-830pm   river in harding. 11 strikes and caught 6. all on pop-r's

Online FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 10:23:38 PM »
There were a few big 'un feeding on top by me last night while I was out catin' between 9 and 10 o-clock.
FM

Offline zziipp

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 09:10:57 PM »
Thurs night
                          "ZZIIPP"

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 09:23:11 PM »
Was trout fishing this evening, got nothing but chubs  >:(  I'm so tempted to head out to the river right now

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 09:23:11 PM »

Offline zziipp

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 10:21:03 PM »
The black bug
                          "ZZIIPP"

Offline zziipp

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2014, 10:48:37 PM »
Nice one
                          "ZZIIPP"

Offline zziipp

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2014, 11:34:20 PM »
Just got a nice bass.  ;D
                          "ZZIIPP"

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2014, 11:34:20 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com