136 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: my muskie story  (Read 4017 times)  Share 

Offline Arte27

• River Rat
my muskie story
« on: July 11, 2016, 02:47:03 PM »
This is my second season on river,still trying to learn where the boulders are hiding just below surface,,Anyhow last season was filled with an average of 30 smallies everyday.This year the count is way lower but we have been hitting pike every trip.Thursday the clouds rolled in ,it was hot i made my way to the river at 4pm,,trying a new bass colored KVD 2.5....BANG...I hooked into a large muskie I had a 10 min fight as we drifted down river bringing the monster to the boat 6 times only to realize i had more fish then net.We were able to get the head of the fish in the net several times but there was to much fish out of the net and he would flop out and dive....i have to say he was well over 48" long and husky...anyhow the hook finally failed and straightened out saying goodbye to my best fish fight of my life..i tried posting a pic of the pike from last week ,not sure if i did it correctly

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

my muskie story
« on: July 11, 2016, 02:47:03 PM »

Offline BonScott78

• FISH ON!!
Re: my muskie story
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 04:32:33 PM »
That's a shame he got away, but I bet your heart was pounding for sure!  Nice pic of the Pike, been seeing a lot of pike being caught this year...more so than any other year!  ;) 
Fishing…The way to a man’s heart is thru his FLY!

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 07:04:02 PM »
Great story.
Theres more where he came from.
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 11:53:31 PM »
I had a similar situation years ago when my Dad was still alive.  I had a huge musky just beat right by the boat and the net was no where near big enough, my Dad wanted to grab the fish and I said no way, 3 treble hooks and a mouth of needles.  Later on I thought, why didn't we snag the exposed trebles with the net and try to boat him that way.  Hindsight.   As a last resort I lifted the rod to try and get the fish's head up but he turned his head and snapped the line.

Great memory though, we had two 25+ inch walleyes in the boat already that day.   Frances Slocum believe it or not.

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 11:53:31 PM »

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 07:15:22 AM »
GOOD STORY HD....
SLOCUM HAS SOME GREAT EYEs IN IT..
GOTTA KNOW HOW and WHEN TO FISH IT... ;)
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Offline Arte27

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 08:46:33 PM »
My heart was pounding I was so out of it, i put the rod down ,sat down and got a treble hook in my shin to the bone and i didn't even care..the next must on my list is a giant net.God i hope there is another one out there ,I really liked the susky before but now Ive seen what the potential of fish in this river I'm hooked.My son and I did a trip to the saint Lawrence river in early June and caught some nice bass but few pike.We have a world class fishing river right here and there is no need to travel as far as I'm concerned

Offline CowDawg

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 10:21:11 PM »
Good story Arte27.... too bad you couldn't get him in the boat for pics!! But just getting him to the boat was a great experience!! ;)

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 04:17:55 AM »
"We have a world class fishing river right here and there is no need to travel as far as I'm concerned

You're absolutely right Arte, we are truly blessed to have this fishery, there is no need to travel to find big fish, the Susky is so vast and full of big fish,
the more you investigate the more awesome fishing you will find.

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 04:17:55 AM »

Offline old shaky

• Just havin fun!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 08:09:29 AM »
Another great topic and story. Thanks for sharing it. I too believe there is no need to travel for great fishing. It's right here. It's funny how ya soon find out that maybe...we need a bigger net and things like that! Lol.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 10:29:44 AM »
We have a world class fishing river right here and there is no need to travel as far as I'm concerned

Since I fish the main stem below HBG I do need to travel when the river is closed to bass fishing.  I use that time to take a trip but when our river is open I agree other than for a change of pace every now and then.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 10:29:44 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com