134 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Catfish contaminated in lower Susquehanna  (Read 7813 times)  Share 

Offline FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
Catfish contaminated in lower Susquehanna
« on: April 30, 2014, 08:34:46 PM »

One of the ladies at work handed me this article today. I found the attached FB post in a sidebar. This could explain why so many smallies are dying. It would be rich if the guys tasked with protecting them were the ones responsible for killing them and polluting the river. lol The place sound like Love Canal. No wonder they are having such a hard time figuring it out. They could be investigating themselves.
FM

Mark Heintzelman Shikellamy High School
Under the Point township / Northumberland baseball field is a toxic waste site. The water table is filled with vinyl chloride and many other toxic chemicals.I pointed out then, in 2008, publicly that DEP was instrumental in sanctioning and funding a 300 foot long, 30 foot wide by 30 foot deep trench that directs all of this toxic waste from under this ball field / previous dump into our river, subsurface. I still have this document that shows DEP violating the clean water act. I was attacked. Who wants this document? And who wants to file said document into the Federal court system under the clean water act to force DEP to clean up their own toxic waste dilemma? It should be simple: either the trench is contaminating our water source, or it is not. When I stood up about this issue, DEP would only state that the ball field was safe! They would not address there violation of the Federal clean water act. Play ball children!
Reply Unlike 3 Follow Post Yesterday at 6:54am

http://www.dailyitem.com/0100_news/x360413856/State-Catfish-contaminated-in-lower-Susquehanna
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 08:37:29 PM by FM »

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Catfish contaminated in lower Susquehanna
« on: April 30, 2014, 08:34:46 PM »

Offline CatfishJones

• Fishing with Grizzly
Re: Catfish contaminated in lower Susquehanna
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 07:51:33 AM »
I live in the lower Susquehanna area and we've noticed this issue with the bass almost 10 years ago. We used to call the F&B and complain but they rarely did anything. This is really sad actually, as fishing was always amazing down in our area and just recently it's gotten progressively worse. The DEP refuses to classify the Susquehanna as a "sick" river, but yet we have all these issues with the fish being contaminated. It truly is a shame. Bass are dying and now Catfish are impacted. Not to mention they want to build a natural gas pipeline less than a mile off the river running through Lancaster County. Things could get worse for us fisherman if something isn't done soon.
Keep your lines tight and your drag set!

Offline FM

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 08:00:35 AM »
Some news investigator should look into the guys charges that the DEP is covering up their own complicity in this problem.
FM

Offline BIGCREW

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 10:08:55 AM »
get in contact with dave bowman from channel 16,he would be the best guy to blow the lid off of this story and expose the truth

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 10:08:55 AM »

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 10:47:19 PM »
I live in the lower Susquehanna area and we've noticed this issue with the bass almost 10 years ago. We used to call the F&B and complain but they rarely did anything. This is really sad actually, as fishing was always amazing down in our area and just recently it's gotten progressively worse. The DEP refuses to classify the Susquehanna as a "sick" river, but yet we have all these issues with the fish being contaminated. It truly is a shame. Bass are dying and now Catfish are impacted. Not to mention they want to build a natural gas pipeline less than a mile off the river running through Lancaster County. Things could get worse for us fisherman if something isn't done soon.

I agree with most of your post, but just to let you know the PFBC has went up against DEP. Most people think that water quality is up to PFBC, its not.DEP are the ones you need to be calling them out. Just my opinion, but you will not see any changes until we get another governor in office. Think about it - where would the fracking water be put if DEP would have listed the Susky as Impaired. The new Administration for the PFBC has been trying to help the water quality issue , but DEP has been stopping them.

Offline FM

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 11:48:52 PM »

Smoking Gun? I think Fast Eddie Rendell was in office at the time.

http://www.dailyitem.com/0100_news/x360413856/State-Catfish-contaminated-in-lower-Susquehanna

Under the Point township / Northumberland baseball field is a toxic waste site. The water table is filled with vinyl chloride and many other toxic chemicals.I pointed out then, in 2008, publicly that DEP was instrumental in sanctioning and funding a 300 foot long, 30 foot wide by 30 foot deep trench that directs all of this toxic waste from under this ball field / previous dump into our river, subsurface. I still have this document that shows DEP violating the clean water act. I was attacked. Who wants this document? And who wants to file said document into the Federal court system under the clean water act to force DEP to clean up their own toxic waste dilemma? It should be simple: either the trench is contaminating our water source, or it is not. When I stood up about this issue, DEP would only state that the ball field was safe! They would not address there violation of the Federal clean water act. Play ball children!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 11:51:26 PM by FM »

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 12:46:10 AM »
Either way....we need someone in office that gives a crap about the environment. Someone that doesn't influence state departments.

I do understand that there has to be a balance and "the greater good".  This is job I would not want. I'm not saying I have the answers. Just making an observation.

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 07:50:49 AM »
get in contact with dave bowman from channel 16,he would be the best guy to blow the lid off of this story and expose the truth

STEVE CORBBET,WOULD TAKE THEM APART LIKE A PUZZLE YOU WANT TO PUT BACK IN THE BOX.
I listen to him every day.A lot of people dont like him but,he gets to the bottom.He gets to the dirt under the dirt.
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 07:50:49 AM »

Offline CatfishJones

• Fishing with Grizzly
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 10:22:57 AM »
I agree with most of your post, but just to let you know the PFBC has went up against DEP. Most people think that water quality is up to PFBC, its not.DEP are the ones you need to be calling them out. Just my opinion, but you will not see any changes until we get another governor in office. Think about it - where would the fracking water be put if DEP would have listed the Susky as Impaired. The new Administration for the PFBC has been trying to help the water quality issue , but DEP has been stopping them.

I'm aware the PFBC has gone up against the DEP, but it was after countless calls and reports from my peers. We knew about these issues back in 2000! We were told "they were looking into it." It took several years for PFBC to take it the DEP. Way too long in my opinion.

At the end of the day, everything dealing with matters of state, is bureaucratic. No matter what the issue is, it's severity isn't truly acknowledged until politics becomes a major factor and/or money is lost. In this case, the result in fewer fishing licenses spurred the PFBC into action. Not the reports of the Lower Susky's lifelong anglers.

Offline FM

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 11:04:29 AM »
One of the ladies at work handed me this article today. I found the attached FB post in a sidebar. This could explain why so many smallies are dying. It would be rich if the guys tasked with protecting them were the ones responsible for killing them and polluting the river. lol The place sound like Love Canal. No wonder they are having such a hard time figuring it out. They could be investigating themselves.
FM

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 12:41:39 PM »
Again... the Administration at PFBC has done a 180 as compared the old one. Like them or not, Director John Arway shut down bass season knowing it would decrease license sales just to try to protect the bass in the lower Susqy. (of course this is my take on it)

Offline CatfishJones

• Fishing with Grizzly
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 02:49:42 PM »
License sales were dwindling long before the shut down of bass season. Our waters were and continued to be impacted. I agree that something needs to be done and someone concerned with the environment should head that, but at the end of the day politics is politics and money is money. I guarantee that if every fisherman who frequents the susquehanna river decided not to buy a fishing license for one year...immediate action would come to fruition.

There is a money factor at stake here and the PFBC couldn't do anything about it until it hit there radar and ultimately impacted the state's bottom line.

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 02:49:42 PM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 10:03:49 PM »

Mark Heintzelman Shikellamy High School
Reply Unlike 3 Follow Post Yesterday at 6:54am

I just joined this site and was perusing some of the threads when I saw this one. While this is a late entry on this subject,  it may add some understanding to why we have a problem in this river that why it is worse in the upper mainstem.
I was among the citizens from Northumberland who met with the PFBC to inform them of what we considered to be an egregious violation of the Clean Water Act. The Lower Susquehanna Riverkeeper acted on our behalf at the meeting and both John Arway (CEO, PRBC) and Dr. Robert Bachman (PFBC Commissioner) were at the meeting.
Toxic leachate had erupted on the baseball field built on top of the dump at Pineknotter Park (Northumberland) which is right next to the West Branch of the Susquehanna and is located in the old Pennsylvania Canal bed. Several wells in the area are contaminated with vinyl chloride, a cancer causing toxin. Groundwater is clearly contaminated in the area. Instead of drilling capture wells to collect and cleanse groundwater the PA Department of Environmental Protection approved the construction of an underground French drain which was excavated and leads from the high pressure area of leachate eruption to the bank of the west branch , effectively decompressing the mess into the Susquehanna River.
At the meeting, we fully expected the "resource first" PFBC to understand the violation and the damage that was being caused and do something. They do have the legal authority under Pennsylvania Codes (Law).
Their opinion was that because there was no visible source of pollution (it was underground) that they could not act even though we had documents clearly establishing what had been done. There is a lot more to the situation but this dump was a repository for much industrial waste over more than 50 years.
So in this case, an agency sworn to protect the environment (DEP) allows intentional diversion of toxic waste into the river and an agency sworn to protect the "resource' ignores what is going on.
It is sad indeed. What is even worse is that most citizens of Northumberland don't care.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline Susky

• River Rat
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 07:48:29 PM »
It truly is sad Bill.  Unfortunately I don't see any change to that situation because there is no money in it for either agency.  Why do you think they are all over the gas drillers in my area??? Because they can make money off of them.  If they couldn't it would be a free for all up here.  Living in the drilling area there are some things I agree with about the gas companies activity and some that I don't.  But for the most part I feel that they are doing a good job of protecting the environment for the most part.  DEP not so much. Just an example of DEPs ridiculousness, a natural gas compressor station was built near our local school.  DEP made a big tadoo about air quality yada yada yada.  it even made the news.  Guess when they tested the air quality???  Before a dozer was even dropped off to begin construction on the compressor station.  They cannot say that they were doing pre and post compressor station air quality tests because they have not been back since and the station has been in operation for several years. ridiculous.  anyway, sorry for the rant but it all ties into the crap our state agencies pull. 

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 07:48:29 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com