59 Guests, 2 Users

Author Topic: Rising Water Question  (Read 4354 times)  Share 

Offline Lovetofish17

• River Rat
Rising Water Question
« on: April 21, 2017, 03:26:03 PM »
Was planning to spend the afternoon and evening on the water tomorrow, Saturday, but the river forecast is showing a pretty quick rise starting around noon.  I might be able to make the morning work, but I'm looking for a little advice on rising water.

It sounds like rising water can be a good thing for fishing, but when does it become a safety issue?  I assume it's only the really rapidly rising water that starts dislodging things and causing problems, but is being out at the very beginning of rising water a bad thing?  I've only got a 15' jon with an old 9.9, so I'm hoping for some seasoned river advice!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Rising Water Question
« on: April 21, 2017, 03:26:03 PM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: Rising Water Question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 06:59:52 PM »
Thursday, before the thunderstorms and rising water, I waded the main stem under beautiful conditions and found 14 smallmouth.
Thursday night storms with 1" of rain and low pressure changed everything.

Today I fished a river on the rise with quite a bit of floating debris. Wasn't muddy but more stained than Thursday.

It was enough to shut off the fish, at least where I wade.

If the Weather Service is correct...we are going from 11.5 to 17 feet by early Sunday on the upper main stem.

I would stay off the water in a boat.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline johnfries7

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 12:34:15 AM »
I went to the schulykill today to throw some jigs water is just too high no bites but I enjoyed being out

Online FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 12:31:16 PM »
High and rising water on the river is not the place to be. Logs stumps and every other sort of debris will be coming down the river, plus that water is still quite cold not a good time for a swim. Find a nice pond and get some bullheads like Chez and I did last night. Good times.
FM

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 12:31:16 PM »

Offline johnfries7

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 03:33:28 PM »
I went down to the Schuylkill yesterday for a half hour made some casts with a jig caught nada, but managed too get 4 ticks on me

Offline Lovetofish17

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 11:39:25 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I stayed away!  Caught a few bass in a local lake instead. Now I was hoping for this coming weekend, but the forecast doesn't show it dropping too fast. I guess higher water and falling isn't as big of a concern? Does the water clear up in a weeks time if the levels are dropping slowly?

Offline Responsible_Angler

• Please give the fish CPR
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 12:58:56 PM »
Pick your spots carefully and get out there and fish.  I caught over a hundred smallies in the past three days.  Just about every fish I caught had a crayfish in its throat. Tubes in Grn Pumpkin/Purple Fk/Roadkill did the trick. ;) The fish are doing their thing no matter what the water level is at.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 01:06:12 PM by Responsible_Angler »

Online FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 01:11:10 PM »
Pick your spots carefully and get out there and fish.  I caught over a hundred smallies in the past three days.  Just about every fish I caught had a crayfish in its throat. Tubes in Grn Pumpkin/Purple Fk/Roadkill did the trick. ;) The fish are doing their thing no matter what the water level is at.

Perhaps you missed the point of the post. He had questioned the wisdom of going out on the river in a small boat during high water. "Get(ting) out there and fish(ing)" would be ill advised.
FM

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 01:11:10 PM »

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 03:13:52 PM »
Now I was hoping for this coming weekend, but the forecast doesn't show it dropping too fast.

To make it more clear you should be fine for this coming weekend if you pick your spots carefully and the river dosen't rise again during the coarse of the week. The river is cleaning up very nicely in my area but every area of the river is different.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 03:15:41 PM by Responsible_Angler »

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 07:29:51 PM »
Lovetofish I watch the usgs website pretty closely myself. I have learned over the years, in the Harrisburg area at least. When the river is over 6', it drains out fairly quickly. Example, yesterday Harrisburg was about 9'. Just checked before posting this, it is under 8'. so in about the last 24, it has dropped over 1'. Now when you drop to around 6', it really slows its pace, to close to about 6" per 24 hours. Hope this is helpful

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 07:41:56 PM »
Yes, it all depends on where you are fishing.  I know the Penrod Guides John Stygler and Jason Shay got their clients into a lot of smallies this weekend on the Susquehanna in the Harrisburg Area.

Offline Lovetofish17

• River Rat
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 10:04:40 AM »
All very helpful info! I'm at a loss to offer anything other than a thank you! I'm going to give it a go Friday afternoon, and just fish from shore if I don't like it. No way to learn unless I'm on the water, right?  River forecast just showed Harrisburg down to 5.5 by Friday afternoon, which is a level I know I'm good with. Now I just have to figure out where those fish are!

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 10:04:40 AM »

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 07:57:38 PM »
I'm going to tell you right now the big girls are staged at the food escalators.  The smaller bucks are in the slower rocky flats staking out their nesting areas. 

Offline Lovetofish17

• River Rat
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 10:19:34 PM »
Thanks for the tip. What exactly do you mean by food escalator?

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 10:37:07 PM »
Where the food comes to them with little effort. imho, where there may be a bit more current

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 10:37:07 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com