79 Guests, 4 Users

Author Topic: Advice and opinions on new trolling motor.  (Read 916 times)  Share 

Online 1iarrowking

• River Rat
Advice and opinions on new trolling motor.
« on: May 23, 2017, 05:15:57 PM »
I bought a 2012 Rockproof  with an Optimax this past winter.  The 70 lb Minn Kota is much older. I put two new 105 amp hr batteries in the boat so I wouldn't have to deal with old weak ones. I put in at Bloomsburg for the maiden voyage today and the boat and motor ran fine but the trolling motor is junk.   At first it worked intermittently.  On full thrust it couldn't gain an inch on the current and then smoke came out of the plug and it died.  I'm  looking for some input and advice on what I need to buy to fish the Susquehanna with this 1800 or 1900 lb boat. The boat is setup and wired for 24 volts.

Any feed back will be appreciated.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Advice and opinions on new trolling motor.
« on: May 23, 2017, 05:15:57 PM »

Offline bassman65

• River Rat
Re: Advice and opinions on new trolling motor.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 05:55:38 PM »
hi arrowking,  i have a 17 foot crestliner fish hawk its a wide heavy boat,  i run a 24 volt motorguide tour edition 70 lb thrust on the river and it never let me down under higher water conditions. i mainly fish the wilkes barre area of the river . I  also run 20 amp circuit breakers off each positive  battery terminal to prevent any damage if any thing should happen.

Offline stonecat

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 08:11:48 AM »
Rockproof-nice boat.Here's a link to a site you might find answers https://www.trollingmotors.net/blogs/wiring-electrical/86994439-24-and-36-volt-wiring-diagrams.I do know if your batteries weren't wired properly in sequence you could fry your motor or your wiring, also wouldn't run without breakers.Try the 'Tech Resource' at the top of the page.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 08:23:47 AM by stonecat »

Online 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 10:27:48 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I called Rockproof last week and they told me to get a 24 volt 80 amp Minn Kota Fortrex.  I almost listened to him but decided to go for it and ordered an Ultrex instead. (Fortrex with i Pilot)  UPS delivered the motor last Thursday but I've been too sick with a virus to put it on.  Hopefully I'll be able to do it this week.  The old motor was wired correctly with 8 ga wire but didn't have a circuit breaker.  I installed one before using the boat for the first time. 

I bought the Ultrex from the guys at your link, trollingmotors.net.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 10:37:51 AM by 1iarrowking »

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 10:27:48 AM »

Online chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 07:01:14 AM »
Were your hooked up to Circuit breakers???
I think they are a must.
I have my 56 mincota hooked up to 20 amp.
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Online 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 07:35:49 PM »
The Ultrex arrived and I finally got over the virus I had.  Installed the motor and put the boat in at Blue Marsh on Wednesday to finish the installation, which has to be done on the water.  Plan to get it on the Susky next week sometime.  Had a lot of yard and food plot work to catch up on since catching that virus.  I had a flu shot last Nov. but it didn't prevent whatever nasty thing I had.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 07:35:49 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2014 SuskyFishers.com