60 Guests, 4 Users

Author Topic: Bloomsburg 8/6/17  (Read 1061 times)  Share 

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
Bloomsburg 8/6/17
« on: August 07, 2017, 10:39:30 AM »
We were going to go to City Island yesterday but after seeing the gauge was going up to five feet and reading dretallack's report of muddy conditions we headed up to Bloomsburg.  The water was muddy up there also but the gauge was only at 2.9 feet and the water temp was 75 degrees.

We got on the water at 1:00 PM and headed up to the I 80  bridge.  After bumping a few rocks just before the bridge we started drifting and fishing since the Ultrex kept hitting rocks.  We got our first fish after drifting a couple hundred yards and then had a slow pick.  After rounding the bend putting the bridge out of sight things picked up a bit so we worked the area hard and caught a bunch of 13" and smaller.  Harry landed the one in the pic and that was the best one of the day although he brought a 2 1/2 lb to the boat and had his hand on it but dropped it.  About 6 PM we motored down below the launch to a spot I wanted to try before leaving and we both caught a couple more small bass and a small walleye.

We ended the day with me landing 11 smallies and the eye.  Harry lost track again but I guess he landed about 16.  He can only count to 8.  ;D  We caught most of the fish on a white grub spinner and a black hairball jig.  Got back to the launch about 7.

The older I get, the better I used to be.

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Bloomsburg 8/6/17
« on: August 07, 2017, 10:39:30 AM »

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
Re: Bloomsburg 8/6/17
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 08:33:30 PM »
Good call on not wasting the fuel to Harrisburg! I got out at 630p, 1 bite. A buddy of mine beat me to my spot, and fished from5-630. Again 1 bite. The white flies were incredible last night too, but the fish were not even rising for them. No boats on the river from city island up to the Rockville bridge.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 09:37:24 PM »
Good call on not wasting the fuel to Harrisburg! I got out at 630p, 1 bite. A buddy of mine beat me to my spot, and fished from5-630. Again 1 bite. The white flies were incredible last night too, but the fish were not even rising for them. No boats on the river from city island up to the Rockville bridge.

I don't like the full moon.
And the smallmouth where I fish don't seem to like it either.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 07:07:19 PM »
2 weeks to new moon! smallmouth seem to like that one. Also 1arrowking, if I remember you have a jet boat. Have you ever considered putting in at ft hunter. Just north of Harrisburg? With the river running about 1' high this year, you may be able to navigate the rocks. This would put you around the statue of liberty, and the Dauphin narrows section. Now I have only canoed and kayaked it a time or so. So I am not really sure what it would be like in a boat. But I am sure Bill would know better, or know someone who would. It looks like a smallmouth wonderland to me. Plus it is to far for me to walk up, and haven't found any walk in points yet either.

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 07:07:19 PM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 10:26:20 PM »
2 weeks to new moon! smallmouth seem to like that one. Also 1arrowking, if I remember you have a jet boat. Have you ever considered putting in at ft hunter. Just north of Harrisburg? With the river running about 1' high this year, you may be able to navigate the rocks. This would put you around the statue of liberty, and the Dauphin narrows section. Now I have only canoed and kayaked it a time or so. So I am not really sure what it would be like in a boat. But I am sure Bill would know better, or know someone who would. It looks like a smallmouth wonderland to me. Plus it is to far for me to walk up, and haven't found any walk in points yet either.

I have posted this about Ft. Hunter but I will do it again. It is the from the remarks of a veteran river guide about getting through the rocks at Ft. Hunter at different river levels. This is based on the NOAA river gauge levels at Harrisburg.

" At 4.0' even a Prop drive boat can bang it's way into the pool (just below the Statue of Liberty)

At 3.8' most any production jet boat can get up there without a touch (if you're good at reading the water)

At 3.7' It starts to get "Gee-Wiz that was close"

At 3.5' You need to start having your head checked

At 3.3-something, you are as many here put it  ...Nucken-Futz  That place has eaten more than just a few boats."

The Ft. Hunter area is better in fall/winter and is a real zoo sometimes.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 10:02:56 AM »
I did think about it but didn't because I'm still trying to get familiar with Harrisburg and Bloomsburg.  I was more thinking about trying the launch under the 81 bridge if I could find it. It would save some tow time and running time.

Last time I was fishing the ledge, a boat came up close to the ledge about 1/3 out from the west shore, jockeyed around a bit then hit the gas and when right up through the ledge.  I thought about it but was too far away to know exactly where he went through.  The Harrisburg gauge was at 4.3 that day.

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 07:46:48 PM »
I know the cute you are talking about on the east shore side, But also have never waded that far over. The launch by 81 is a private fishing club. There is also one right in Marysville, probably a mile above the Rockville bridge. But I know the ft hunter launch is much nicer. Dry I remember that advice from another time. your description always bring a smile to my face

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 07:56:02 PM »
just reread your post 1arrowking. That chute 1/3 off the west shore can be touch and go. There is a channel over close the the Harrisburg side. In fact I have witnessed river rescue put in at ft hunter and run that channel south.

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 07:56:02 PM »

Offline shiver318

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 01:20:26 PM »
Bloomsburg to Berwick is my home waters, they were slammin top water early morning. Hard to take pictures when fishing hot, doesn't happen often enough. Caught at least a dozen from 17" to 19" and many in the 12" to 14". You can tell by my face I thought I was stillZ.jpg[/img] in bed dreaming!

Offline shiver318

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 01:25:05 PM »
Darn pictures won't post![img][http://i.imgur.com/nsT6lOZ.jpg/img]

Offline shiver318

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 08:54:19 PM »
Think I finally figured this new phone out!

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 11:23:22 PM »
Nice! I hope I can reproduce those results Saturday morning

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 11:23:22 PM »

Offline shiver318

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 09:05:27 AM »
Good luck, top water has been heating up early and late!

Offline shiver318

• River Rat
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 11:00:47 AM »
Still getting some on top water in the morning, some days hot some days not!

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 03:37:49 PM »
Thanks.  I'm going this coming Sunday but not sure if I'm going to C. I. or Bloomsburg.  Nice fish but what's with the white spots.  Never saw that.  You didn't spray them with bleach did you? :-\ :)  Dry puts up a lot of pics with black spots.

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 03:37:49 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2014 SuskyFishers.com