73 Guests, 5 Users

Author Topic: Spikes on water depth  (Read 201 times)  Share 

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
Spikes on water depth
« on: October 30, 2017, 10:53:04 AM »
This being my first year on the Suskie I have to ask, are spikes like are predicted in the next few days normal at this time of the year after a day of rain?  Hell it rained three days a week all summer and you couldn't move the boat without hitting a rock.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Spikes on water depth
« on: October 30, 2017, 10:53:04 AM »

Online FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
Re: Spikes on water depth
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 11:27:44 AM »
Lots of factors involved. At least on the north branch the water was unusually high for most of the summer not getting to its normal summer low levels until later in August. The thing that gets over looked when trying to understand how summer time rain falls correspond to the river levels is, believe me, vegetation. When things are green and growing untold trillions of trees, lawns, crops and other vegetation is sponging up rainfall. Now most of that has shut down for the season and more of the rain that falls runs off and makes it way to the river. It will become even more pronounced once the ground has frozen and what ever rain that falls cannot soak into the soil.
FM

BTW they have already backed down the predicted river level by 10 feet from 23 to 13. This rain event was over sold and under preformed in my neighborhood. I went to work this morning in a major flood zone and was faced with near flood hysteria.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 11:31:43 AM by FM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 12:22:58 PM »
Small streams in my area rose by about 6-7 feet overnight...that is a considerable rise. Not unusual for heavy spring rains with snow melt or late fall tropical storm season rains.

We were predicted to get 3-5 in Selinsgrove area...I had 3 in my rain gauge this AM (all in in less than 12 hours). The river rise may not be as high as thought but it will be a problem for a few days.

I think the low pressure area with all the rain stayed farther east and north of central PA. Looked like a lot of rain on the east coast radar.

Bill

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 12:25:03 PM by DRY »
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Online FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 02:49:04 PM »
I just remembered to check my rain guage. So for this whole rain event we had just under an inch and a half,  1.4 inches. Also I should have added that those levels I mentioned were for the WB guage. So far the levels have barely moved off where they were sitting at.  It's going to come up really fast overnight.
FM

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 02:49:04 PM »

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 10:41:02 AM »
Thanks for the explanations guys.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 10:41:02 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2014 SuskyFishers.com