103 Guests, 2 Users

Author Topic: Nor'easter  (Read 1757 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Nor'easter
« on: March 07, 2018, 05:49:20 PM »
This Nor'easter treated us folks in Snyder County to a little slush and rain. No real snow, ice or wind. But my wife felt nervous about driving to her chiropractor app't so I drove her there and went to see my mistress.  ;D
Didn't have any boots or rain gear but in about 30 minutes I had 5 smallies....Oh boy!!

So after lunch I returned to Susky-Q and picked up 7 more smallies, a nice walleye and someone's lost goldfish.  ;)  :)

Half the smallies were 2.5-3 pounds and three of them were over 3 pounds. Nice winter fish.

Right now we could stand to see some stable water temperatures around 38-40F and we might have a good cold water bite.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Nor'easter
« on: March 07, 2018, 05:49:20 PM »

Offline rabbit

• River Rat
Re: Nor'easter
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 01:17:29 AM »
Nice Fish Bill

Offline DRY

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 07:06:04 PM »
My wife was teaching this afternoon so I had a few hours free to continue where I left off yesterday. The Nor'easter had left us with cold bitter wind to contend with...but after the wind calmed down around 4 PM...

I racked up another 9 smallies on the Baby Predator Craw and its diminutive cousin the Willie Wanabee.

Among the takers was this beautiful 4 lb 4 oz. specimen.

Forecast daytime temps don't look too bad but nights will be dipping below freezing. Might be a problem for the smallmouth. We shall see.  ;D

Bill

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 06:25:37 PM »
Nice! warmer days will be here soon. Noticed this week around the greater Harrisburg area, the maples are flowering. Both reds and sugars. Today I saw the first native dogwood blooming, Cornus Mas. Nice to start seeing some color again

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 06:25:37 PM »

Offline DRY

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 10:09:33 AM »
I love all the signs of spring also. The seagulls are coming up from the bay and feeding on nymphs in the water. Last time I was out I noticed a number of black stone fly nymphs coming off the water.

But smallmouth don't see the budding trees, the snow geese and the gulls (although they probably feed on the stone fly nymphs). Being cold blooded...their body temp stays pretty close to the water temp and that is the problem during this pre-spring time of the year. The only temperature gauge I know of is Danville. The Danville temp is jostling back and forth between 37-38F. Daytime temps get up into the 40's but night temps are below freeezing.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwisweb/graph?agency_cd=USGS&site_no=01540500&parm_cd=00010&period=7

At 40F or below the bass are not going to be real aggressive. They're not going to be cruising around in the faster currents looking for food. Their metabolism is till slow and they are not being driven to spawn yet or eat very much. So I believe the key for the guy who wades the shoreline is to find quiet pools and eddies and to use smaller baits that are easy to catch and eat. Most of the time, at 40 F or below, the pick up of the bait by the bass is barely noticeable. Sometimes only a small hesitation or twitch in the line. Sometimes I need to let the bait just sit there quietly for what seems like an eternity. When I start to move it, I feel the weight of the fish and never even felt the take of the bait. I saw a young man throwing a spinnerbait this week. It may catch the occassional fish but most of them aren't gonna chase a spinnerbait in 40 degree water.

Oh...but when we get consistently above 40F...can't wait.  :)

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 10:42:29 AM »
Thanks Bill! The description I was looking for. I also watch the Danville gauge for temps, since Harrisburg no longer posts water temps.

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 10:03:36 AM »
Where on the Danville gauge do you guys see a water temperature?  I cannot find it.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Offline DRY

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 11:42:27 AM »
Where on the Danville gauge do you guys see a water temperature?  I cannot find it.
Check the link I provided two posts earlier. The link will link you to the right NOAA website.

Bill

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 11:42:27 AM »

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 08:50:47 AM »
Check the link I provided two posts earlier. The link will link you to the right NOAA website.

Bill

Thanks Bill.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 08:50:47 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com