105 Guests, 2 Users

Author Topic: Snow Day Smallie  (Read 3739 times)  Share 

Offline FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
Snow Day Smallie
« on: March 08, 2018, 11:22:52 AM »
Not much but it was better than shoveling snow and sitting around waiting for warm weather. Went out for some eyes but the smallies were cooperating for some reason. I think they were feeding on minnows getting pulled out of the brush piles as the water receded. A fella who was on he spot when I got there said he had hit a few on silver and smoke colored plastics. I not having either tried some things then on a whim tied on a 1/8th oz road runner jig and put on a clear chartreuse power bait grub and was rewarded with one nice smallmouth. Two pics of the same fish. Going to try again today.
FM

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Snow Day Smallie
« on: March 08, 2018, 11:22:52 AM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: Snow Day Smallie
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 12:15:06 PM »
Smallies love the snow!!   8)  ;)  :)

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 06:45:10 PM »
Those chartruse twisters are money in the spring for smallies. They have been one of my go too's for over 30 years

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 06:52:18 AM »
Nice!!!!
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 06:52:18 AM »

Offline shiver318

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 09:12:25 PM »
I got the fever, boat's coming out this weekend. Three weeks without fishin is about all I can take!

Offline FM

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 07:46:56 AM »
I have mine staged but need to get a few nice days to make some updates and repairs. Got started late in February then winter decided to come back so its just been sitting there waiting.
FM

Offline FM

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 08:26:33 AM »
I went back to the well for 5 more yesterday. These were enticed by adding a tiny bait to my jigs. I tried 4 locations but except for a few misses this was to only spot that produced. Probably trying for some cats this afternoon.
FM

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 09:15:58 AM »
Nice fish.  It's going to have to warm up some for me.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 09:15:58 AM »

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 09:21:42 AM »
I know in the past, if I remember correctly. Bill has said you basically just let the bait sit on the bottom, with very little movement. if you feel a tap tap tap, then you know, something is interested in the bait. Is that what you are experiencing? Or are the water temps to the point they are chasing moving(swimming) baits at this point? Im a bit behind, but im getting my liscense for the year this week. If I counted correctly combined, you and Dry are about 20 smallies in the last week together.

Offline FM

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 11:50:30 AM »
Well I'm getting smallies but was fishing for walleyes. I'm always happy to catch anything and a smallie is always welcome. I adjust according to water temps, clarity and what the fish are responding to. I always fish to the aggressive fish and will grab the biters and move on after it slows down, I don't have a lot of patience. What I was doing yesterday was casting out and letting my jig settle to the bottom of about 6 fow and then just slowly hopping it 6 inches to a foot at a time with a short pause between hops. It got a little tougher after I had been there a while cause the wind picked up and was bowing my line pretty bad. At any rate the fish were picking up the bait on the pauses. sometimes you would feel them pick it other times they would just be on it when you went to the next hop. Warmer clearer water and I would up the speed and distance some. Again, adjusting to what is getting the bite reflex going. Now if the walleyes would just smarten up and get on board.
FM

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 12:13:36 PM »
Awesome FM. thanks again.

Offline Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 07:28:20 PM »
Yeah, thanks guys.  I'm heading out tomorrow to see if we can catch any.  I'm going to try some plastics and also jerk baits to see if we can catch anything. 

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 07:28:20 PM »

Offline FM

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 01:02:37 PM »
Welcome to the ice box. Fishing on some stretches of the NB is still looking pretty icy but even with the ice and the wind blowing down through the valley I managed one, plus a funny one that I missed. I was fishing in water with a cobble and mud bottom, plus there was a variety of wood debris mixed in too. After hooking a half dozen roots and branch fragments I let my guard down and was dragging in another chunk of wood that looked just like a nice smallie. lol you can guess the rest, by time my brain kicked in the fish had had enough of me and dropped the bait and bolted back to the safety of the depths. So, I could of had two but settled for one in the ice box.
FM

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 07:39:15 PM »
That's nuts the amount of ice you guys still have! I took a walk this weekend by the river, to scout for this upcoming weekend. The only thing on the shore, was debris from the high water. But our lady deposited a picnic table in a good spot, along her shores.

Offline Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 08:09:37 AM »
That's nuts the amount of ice you guys still have! I took a walk this weekend by the river, to scout for this upcoming weekend. The only thing on the shore, was debris from the high water. But our lady deposited a picnic table in a good spot, along her shores.

Hey I saw the picnic table too.  Did you spot the underwear.  haha  It was really fast there this past weekend. 

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 08:09:37 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com