117 Guests, 7 Users

Author Topic: T'was a good friday!!  (Read 945 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
T'was a good friday!!
« on: March 30, 2018, 01:26:22 PM »
I wanted to get out for a few hours this AM before the weather cleared up. Didn't mind the drizzle and clouds but March still was blowing a little with a brisk NNE wind...but we persevered.

I was visited by a pair of mergansers....

And then a whole flock appeared.

I picked up an even 13 smallies...all on the Baby Predator Craw...most in the 1-2 lb. class but this one-eyed beauty with black spots weighed in at a tad over 3 lbs.

Everyone have a nice Passover weekend!!

Bill

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

T'was a good friday!!
« on: March 30, 2018, 01:26:22 PM »

Online Brewguy

• River Rat
Re: T'was a good friday!!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 09:03:51 PM »
Your trips blow me away.  We had a good day up at memorial lake.  I caught my first ever Pickerel and we got two small mouth bass.  Caught them on a bass pro hellgrammite and jig head.  I was thrilled to catch fish finally.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 08:42:39 AM »
Your trips blow me away.  We had a good day up at memorial lake.  I caught my first ever Pickerel and we got two small mouth bass.  Caught them on a bass pro hellgrammite and jig head.  I was thrilled to catch fish finally.

At my age I've become pretty much a one dimensional fisherman...that is smallmouth. I've fished the same section of the Susquehanna River since 1976. You get to know a place pretty well and I have learned to bloom where I was planted...about 7 miles from the river.

The Susquehanna is rather shallow where I fish ( 3-5 feet of water on average when the National Weather Service  gauge at Sunbury reads 9 feet - and don't ask me to explain that system). In summer fish become hard to find as the Sunbury gauge falls to 6 feet. You need to wet wade, pole a boat, canoe, kayak or have a damn good jet boat to get anywhere and even then fish are hard to find.

So I have become a cold water fisherman...and that's good because at my age I tolerate cold much better than heat. During the winter and spring months the Sunbury gauge reads on average about 9-10 feet and at that level the shoreline wading is very accessible. Even at 14-15 feet shoreline eddies provide good fishing.

When water levels are high and cold the bass have wintering areas where they hang out. For years the power plant above where I fish provided one of those areas. Smallmouth bass also travel long distances - I've read articles where they were studied and found to go 30 miles or more. They travel upstream in the spring (it's happening now) and up small tributaries as the water warms to spawn. They become more active feeders as the water warms and come closer to shore seeking food. That's when I am there to greet them.  ;) :)

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Online 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 09:23:08 AM »
Glad to here your nailing them.  If it warms up just a little I may have to blow the dust off the Rockproof.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 09:23:08 AM »

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 02:58:19 PM »
You know your fishing bill.
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 02:58:19 PM »