105 Guests, 7 Users

Author Topic: Riverfront Campground Water Levels  (Read 1428 times)  Share 

Offline BigTerp

• Just one more cast.....
Riverfront Campground Water Levels
« on: April 09, 2018, 10:28:31 AM »
Hi All. Been awhile since I've been on the Susquehanna. Fall of '16 was actually my last, and first time on the river. Heading back up this weekend to fish for a few days out of Riverfront Campground. River looks like it's going to be around 5' at Harrisburg and around 10' at Sunbury come the end of the week. From you all's experience, how is the river in that area for running an outboard jet at those levels? Last time I was there it was barely over 3' at Harrisburg and around 6' at Sunbury. Could not get up river past the 22 bridge or up the Juniata. Down river we ran out of water before Shermans Creek. So we basically put the trolling motor down and fished the only accessible water we had which was about a mile and a half worth of river out from the campground. Thinking at the current levels we'll be able to do much more exploring. But I'm not really sure since my only experience in that area was at super low levels. Just trying to get an idea of what to expect this time around. Last trip up you guys provided tons of help in terms of what to expect with how low the water was. Just want to say again I GREATLY appreciated that!! Helped us prepare properly.

Looks like spring may finally get here by the weekend. Hopefully you guys will be able to get out and get some fishing in as well. Tight lines!!!!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 01:31:27 PM by BigTerp »

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Riverfront Campground Water Levels
« on: April 09, 2018, 10:28:31 AM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: Riverfront Campground Water Levels
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 04:02:00 PM »
At Harrisburg levels of 5 feet, with a jet, you should have access to all the river and you could probably get some distance above the Amity Hall access on the Juniata.

The problem right now will be water temps. If they stay the way they have been for the last week...catching will be tough. The fish have been awful closed mouth.

Good luck.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 05:00:17 PM »
Bill is dead on. 5' and you can go pretty much anywhere. Will still need to read the river well to get below Sherman's but up river, you can go well past Clemson Island. Juniata, well above Amity Hall.
I was up last week and river was at 7'-7.5'. Water temps were 40-43 degrees. Tubes and finesse plastics were all we were catching them on. Was also up 2 weeks ago, river level was closer to 5' and they were hitting jerkbaits with long pauses but last week, couldn't get a sniff on a jerkbait. Starting to move into the creeks, this weekend could be on fire if temps come up a few more degrees.
Galatians 2:20

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 12:27:45 AM »
I only have one year on the river and don't profess to know it all but at over 4.3 I put it in gear and let rip up the east bank.  At 3.7 I'm real careful and still hit, but I have a Rockproof. ;)

Had to come back and clarify, I'm talking about City Island up to the Rockville ledge.  I've never been above the ledge except to put in at Bloomsburg and once at WB.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 12:36:02 AM by 1iarrowking »
The older I get, the better I used to be.

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 12:27:45 AM »

Offline BigTerp

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 08:04:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies!!! Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Really appreciate the advice on the water levels. I'm pretty experienced running my jet on the Upper Potomac, but I know the Susquehanna is a completely different animal!! It actually makes me nervous, which is probably a good thing. I run a pretty thin hull with no plastic and will just have to use my head running it up there.

Also the tips on baits is appreciated. I'm a tube junkie on the Upper Potomac, specifically Mizmo Teasers. Seems to be the best bait for me on those waters. Also keep some Mizmo's in larger sizes handy. Will also give my jerkbaits a fair shake this week. Swimbaits and spinners might get a look as well if we can find some warmer water. Really looking forward to fishing the Susquehanna with some water in her to get around. Weather is looking perfect with a nice warming trend starting today. Fingers crossed it gets the water temps up a bit and the river levels don't dip down too much.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:08:59 AM by BigTerp »

Offline Responsible_Angler

• Please give the fish CPR
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 11:06:09 AM »
Launching from Riverfront Camp Ground you don't need to go far at all to catch a lot of fish.  The launch is just below the Duncanon bridge where the Juniata dumps into the Susquehanna and forms a huge eddy where the fish are hanging out this time of year. 324 yards from the boat launch is a stone wall that wraps around the end of a point. Fish the current seam slowly that point. You can expect a lot of company from the locals and guide services but its the best fishing spot going this time of the year. 

Campround Tubes fished painfully slow and sitting on the bottom,which they sell at their tackle shop, 50 for $10 are the ticket in KP Badass and KP Special colors. Case Lil Sweet Pea in Road kill camo are also producing well.  If there is good water visibility you will have fun with suspending jerkbaits.   

Have fun!

Offline BigTerp

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 11:12:19 AM »
Thanks for the tips!!

Offline BigTerp

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 08:38:24 AM »
Thanks again for the help/tips!! We had a great weekend with weather, river levels and fishing. River level was perfect. Was easily able to run pretty much everywhere. Friday morning we fished the confluence and picked up a few nice fish on 2.75" tubes. Really soft bite in the morning. We then headed up river and fished around the Clemson Island area. Picked up a few more very nice fish, again on 2.75" tubes. Worked our way back down river and caught a few here and there and then my buddy found a couple along a bank eddy on a rattle trap. Bite at this point was much more noticeable. Water temps started out in the high 40's Friday morning and we saw up to 52-53, IIRC, by the evening. Water had some stain but was clearing. Finished the day up the Juniata and found a few fish along a bank eddy, yet again on the 2.75" tubes. Ended up with 25 or so for the day. All very nice fish. I don't believe any were under 2#'s. Biggest went 19-1/4" and 3# 9oz.

Saturday we decided to venture down river. Don't think we saw water under 50 all day Saturday and found some as high as 55. Water was dirtier than the day before, especially down river from the Juniata. Definitely much more hairier running down river, but it was manageable. Wanted to fish Sherman creek, but it was piled full of boats fishing. Was still busy on the way back up so we never got the chance to fish it. Couldn't buy a bite Saturday morning. Felt like we threw the tackle box at them fishing bank eddys, main current breaks, current seams, etc., etc., etc. all the way up river to Clemson Island. Finally picked up a few around 2:00 p.m. in areas of current next to main river current breaks. Then we found a bank eddy that they were stacked up in. We caught 20+ in less than an hour. All on 2.75" tubes and all nice size fish. That was fun!!! Ended the day again up the Juniata. Hit the same bank eddy as the evening before and caught another dozen or so before dark. Ended up with 50 for the day. All were in the 16-18" range and chunky fish, with a handful of smaller ones mixed in.

Already looking forward to heading back up. Way better quality fish than what I'm used to catching in the Upper Potomac. 

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 08:38:24 AM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 08:53:58 AM »
Thanks again for the help/tips!! We had a great weekend....

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 06:57:07 PM »
Glad to hear you had some good success. It is such a wonderful resource a lot of us live close to, and a lot of people don't respect it. We that fish it primarily, those on this board, cherish it. I would be lost if I had to move away from this type of fishing resource.

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 07:28:19 PM »
That was a great trip! Congrats!
Galatians 2:20

Offline BigTerp

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 08:49:30 AM »
Glad to hear you had some good success. It is such a wonderful resource a lot of us live close to, and a lot of people don't respect it. We that fish it primarily, those on this board, cherish it. I would be lost if I had to move away from this type of fishing resource.

It's definitely a world class smallmouth fishery. I thoroughly enjoy fishing the Upper Potomac, but it's going to be tough to not be thinking about being on the Susquehanna while fishing my local flows.

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 08:49:30 AM »

Offline BigTerp

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 08:55:33 AM »
That was a great trip! Congrats!

Thanks!!

I know I've said it several times, but again THANKS to everyone for all the help/tips!! It's intimidating heading up there not knowing what to expect. You guys helped to ensure we had a good trip, both this past weekend and my first time up fall of '16. Greatly appreciated!!

Now it's back to catching dinks on the UP. But I'll be loving every minute of it.

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 08:55:33 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com