82 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Small stream....Big fish!!  (Read 2771 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Small stream....Big fish!!
« on: April 26, 2018, 06:08:54 PM »
Spent a few hours yesterday on the main stem. It should be hopping...but I could only manage a few minor league smallmouth.

After lunch today I hit the local trib...first cast with the stonecat and this 3 lb. 10 oz. beauty hammered it.

A little later in another hole, using the diminutive Willie Wannabee, this 4 pound marvel smacked it. What a jumping time this fish had.

Gonna try the main stem again tomorrow (closes May 1)... and then rest up this weekend because I have a good feeling about the tribs next week. Got some places I haven't tried yet.  ;)  ;D

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Small stream....Big fish!!
« on: April 26, 2018, 06:08:54 PM »

Offline johnfries7

• River Rat
Re: Small stream....Big fish!!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 10:43:03 PM »
good going bill, my river schukill is 5 feet high and chocolate I need to wet a line mabe 2 weeks jf7

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 08:30:34 AM »
[quote Gonna try the main stem again tomorrow (closes May 1)... and then rest up this weekend because I have a good feeling about the tribs next week. Got some places I haven't tried yet.  ;)  ;Bill[/quote]

Nice fish Bill.  Don't the tribs also close?

Harry has off next week so we'll be towing up to Bloomsburg a couple of times if the water level cooperates.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Offline DRY

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 09:12:40 AM »
good going bill, my river schukill is 5 feet high and chocolate I need to wet a line mabe 2 weeks jf7

I lived in Philly for 4 years...passed the Schuylkill River many times...we called it the "All-kill" River. Once my friends went to a brewery right along the river and I wondered exactly what was in the beer  ;)  :)

Exactly how is the smallmouth fishing there and on what sections do you fish for them?

Bill

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 09:12:40 AM »

Offline DRY

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 09:30:54 AM »
... Don't the tribs also close?...

This link will take you to the Closed Season regs for bass in the lower Susquehanna and its tributaries...click on Catch and Release Bass

http://fishinpa.com/

98 miles of the Susquehanna and 32 miles of the Juniata are CLOSED to smallmouth fishing...you may not even fish for  smallmouth bass
The tributaries are only CLOSED at their confluence (where they join the main river) and for 1/2 mile upstream.

The tribs that I fish are 5-10 miles above the confluence so the Inland Water regs apply...that is Catch and Immediate release from April 14 thru June 15.

I do not think that all these 3-4 pound smallmouth live year-round in the trib - I could be wrong...they might have holes I do not know of but I believe they come upstream in the Spring during high water to spawning grounds that they have used for ever...and then go back to the main river. I have read tracking data that shows travels of 30 miles or more.

Bill

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:20:10 AM by DRY »

Offline johnfries7

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 06:32:02 PM »
bill I never fished in philly, I live about 30 miles up river, Royersford to be exact, I fish a 5 mile stretch, back in 2008 I caught 56 in one day 8 to 10 in' . its rare to catch a wopper but it can happen ive started to fly fish for them using poppers and streamers, they are so much fun on a fly rod. but I will have to wait about 3 weeks to wade the all kill jf7

Offline DRY

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 06:48:52 PM »
... ive started to fly fish for them using poppers and streamers, they are so much fun on a fly rod. but I will have to wait about 3 weeks to wade the all kill jf7

I am hoping to get my fly rod out on the small trib this year when the May fly hatches come out in a few weeks...
Last year I remember being out during a white fly hatch and there were fish rising all around me. I fished with the fly rod a lot when I was younger...requires great skill and concentration especially on small streams.

Bill

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 09:54:23 AM »
I've visited your linked page many times, Bill. I know where you can't target bass. That's why I go up to Bloomsburg at this time of the year.  I didn't realize you could find bass that far up the tribs.  I'm just going to start my second year of smallmouth fishing and still have much to learn.

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 09:54:23 AM »

Offline DRY

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 10:16:52 AM »
I've visited your linked page many times, Bill. I know where you can't target bass. That's why I go up to Bloomsburg at this time of the year.  I didn't realize you could find bass that far up the tribs.  I'm just going to start my second year of smallmouth fishing and still have much to learn.

When you get tired of sinking $$$ in that battleship you run on the river  ;)  :) .....

get a pair of hip boots and scout out some local tributaries...you might be pleasantly surprised.

Bill

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 04:11:45 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how far up the tribs. Do you feel you are finding the fish that may be from the river. Either for spawning purposes, or sanctuary from the high water.

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 04:30:12 PM »
When you get tired of sinking $$$ in that battleship you run on the river  ;)  :) .....

get a pair of hip boots and scout out some local tributaries...you might be pleasantly surprised.

Bill

;D You can't take it with you.  Most of what I don't use up is going to my favorite charity, The Independence Fund.  In the mean time I'll help Trump move the economy. ;)

Offline DRY

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 05:21:14 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how far up the tribs. Do you feel you are finding the fish that may be from the river. Either for spawning purposes, or sanctuary from the high water.

As the crow flys, my Google map, says that the places I fish are almost 8 miles from the confluence,that's a little longer if you canoe the section. I know for a fact that there are 2 smallmouth fisheries on this trib. The larger fish that I am finding I believe are spawners coming upstream. They've been doing it for years. Farther up the stream (anywhere from about 10-16 miles) there is a smaller native population of smallmouth that you can find year round.

Years ago I fished with fellows (from a now defunct fishing website) on the Swatara and the Conodoguinet. We found the same situation there...especially on the Connie where some big smallmouth have been caught way upstream.

Bill

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 05:21:14 PM »

Offline johnfries7

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 11:46:46 AM »
I needed to respool my bait casters, a friend of mine said to try ollies, I got a 700 yd spoll of 10 lb. test for one dollar and 49 cents. just couldn't say no, if the line is good enough im going back and buy 5 more. its called zebco Omni-flex

Offline icemole

• River Rat
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 12:05:17 PM »
Well that's cheaper than the Walmart deal I PM'ed you.... not near the quality though ... ;D

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 12:39:31 PM »
The connie has always been one that has frustrated me. I have known some and spoken to some others, that have done well on it. I am not exactly sure why, I have always blamed it on her depth, or lack of. Now I have always done well on conowago that is a different story. The structure of that stream, is very similar to the river where I fish. unfortunately, it is getting harder to get access to due to posted private property over the years.

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 12:39:31 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com