70 Guests, 11 Users

Author Topic: Delaware River Shad  (Read 525 times)  Share 

Online FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
Delaware River Shad
« on: April 30, 2018, 01:57:08 PM »
It has been years (15 or so) since I took part in the Big D shad season. I have been wanting to for a while and finally did something about it this spring. My first foray happened two weeks ago last Friday. I went to Easton and had a good time on the warmest day of the year catching 3 out of 6 hook ups. Saturday the 28th I went to the Jersey side just above Worthington State Park. I picked my spot by driving along on river road and shopping until I spotted something I liked. When I parked I was greeted by a feast of wild flowers. I had forgotten how much I love the Delaware at this time of year. I offer my flower pics in lieu of fish pics. Not that there weren't any fish, to the contrary, it was my personal best day shad fishing ever. I hooked 42 and landed 20. Left the fish still running past my hand chosen spot. All my fish were released while I remained in the river and never left the water. I just trapped them against my waders and popped the hook out letting them go. A guide in a rift boat was working the area with a couple clients and after a while got near enough to congratulate me on my success. I thought that was a classy move, he never tried to horn in on my action but worked the large run finding fish for his guests. I'd love to go back again but may opt to leave that memory close the season and move on to catfish in the Susky this week.
FM

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 01:58:51 PM by FM »

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Delaware River Shad
« on: April 30, 2018, 01:57:08 PM »

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
Re: Delaware River Shad
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 06:42:55 PM »
Very nicely done on all aspects Fm

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 06:50:10 PM »
It's been more like 25 years since I've been on the Delaware for shad. They are one feisty fish.
But I enjoy the nature pics too.
What kind of a setup and rig do you use from shore?

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Online FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 07:55:30 AM »
Back in the day I would take a nine foot noodle rod. That was fun, but swinging it all day plus all the twitch/lifting to get the darting action that triggers the shad strikes was tiring. Now I'm using the same rigging but an 8'3" St Croix with a Shimano reel. I like 1/8 oz darts and use a bead chain sinker to get them way out when necessary. 4 to 6 pound test mono fills the spool. In the right shore situation I will put on a shad willow spoon but I mostly stick to darts.
FM

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 07:55:30 AM »

Online 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 05:49:05 PM »
Nice going.  Haven't done that in 35 or 40 years.  Never did well.  I was doing it in my little aluminum prop boat that i had back then and just could never seem to get in the right water.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 05:49:05 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com