122 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: "Church in the vale"  (Read 578 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
"Church in the vale"
« on: May 06, 2018, 01:19:39 PM »
After a nice breakfast of bacon, eggs and coffee I decided on Sunday services at "the little brown church in the vale."
Actually...not a church...but the upper stretches of a trib that I can almost cast across in many sections. Off/On light rain and cloudy. Air temps 60F and water temps around 55F. What a beautiful vale!!

The only disturbance I had was these 2 Canadians who felt I was too close to their nest.

Fished for about 3 hours in crotch deep water with the stonecat, baby crayfish and the Lockett minnow. The crayfish was definitely preferred  by the 17 smallmouth that were landed.

Most were 1.5-2 pound fish...

With the exception of this 3 pound gal and a 3.5 pounder that I dropped after weighing her.

This area was about 7-8 miles above the confluence with the Susquehanna River. Shows you how far these fish travel.

Bill

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

"Church in the vale"
« on: May 06, 2018, 01:19:39 PM »

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
Re: "Church in the vale"
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 03:35:58 PM »
Nice! It does make for a peaceful trip to be on a trib. I usually tend to slow down and enjoy fishing more; less current, less people, and generally see more wildlife.
Galatians 2:20

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 08:32:53 AM »
Maybe I do need a pair of waders :-[ and a way to put a secret tracking device in your vest.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Offline Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 08:45:16 AM »
Maybe I do need a pair of waders :-[ and a way to put a secret tracking device in your vest.

I suspect if we all went fishing will Bill, we would catch one fish for his ten, he has the magic touch.  :)

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 08:45:16 AM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 02:05:18 PM »
After a nourishing breakfast of organic oatmeal, walnuts, blueberries and cinnamon...grapefruit and fresh brewed coffee...

I decided to go back to church.  :)  Believe it or not I am a religious fella.

I was met by the same 2 ushers...my are they noisy!!

The choir was singing overhead (an oriole)....

I've been using 3/16 - 1/4 oz jigheads to slow my presentation down a bit because the stream is a little high and fast...but today I saw fish rising in the fast water... so I fished with the small Winco River Darter with a 1/0 wide gap hook and a single split shot...drift and twitch....drift and twitch...BANG!!

The last fish of the morning was this almost 3 pounder... I just love small tribs in the Spring.  ;D

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 07:10:27 PM »
Bill has put lojack devises on all his friends. Possibly a random onstar in case we get wise to him.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 07:10:27 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com