155 Guests, 7 Users

Author Topic: Bowmans Headwaters  (Read 770 times)  Share 

Online FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
Bowmans Headwaters
« on: May 19, 2018, 12:21:23 PM »
Bowmans Creek had some pH issues. Some Organizations banded together and brought in many truck loads of crushed limestone and dumped it into the creek to buffer the water. It seems to have worked based on my experience yesterday 5/18/18. I had the whole length of the creek to myself not another angler to be seen, in fact I only saw a half dozen vehicle all morning. I was looking for something different to do and saw that there was a trib of Bowman's listed as a wilderness trout stream. I had to see that for myself. I knew it was going to be an interesting day when I stepped out of my truck and spotted a wild flower that was new to me, still working on that. I had a few follows in the main creek then hit the trail to find the mouth of the feeder. I caught the one and only native from this trib in the first hole right at the mouth then went without luck for the mile that I hiked up through the beech and hemlocks. It is tough to sneak up on wild brookies in tiny creeks. They dart for cover at the first sign of danger. Bigger pools and the pools at the base of waterfalls provide me the best chance of catching. After this I decided to continue up the mountain and see what I could catch in Bowmans. I tried spots that looked promising in the stocked waters and caught a fish just about at every stop. One spot had another trib coming in and I followed it up a ways. Noticing a good layer of foam in a set back crevice I dragged a salted minnow through it and bingo caught a gorgeous brookie about 7 or 8 inches. Just a great time on a decent day.
FM

Found the plant ID:
Pedicularis canadensis - Wood Betony; Canadian Lousewort. Canadian Lousewort is found throughout the eastern 2/3 of the United States and Canada, all the way down into northern Florida. It has long been considered as having medicinal properties.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:00:27 AM by FM »

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Bowmans Headwaters
« on: May 19, 2018, 12:21:23 PM »

Offline johnfries7

• River Rat
Re: Bowmans Headwaters
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 01:13:00 PM »
beautiful fm we are getting so much rain in s. e. pa. that I am thinking of building an ark

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 08:10:04 AM »
In my younger years I trekked the upper stretches of Penns Creek for native brookies and brown trout. The scenery and the serenity is something that stays with you always.

Your pictures bring back those memories. Thanks.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 02:03:21 PM »
Nice photos, did you head up through Stull ?

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 02:03:21 PM »

Online FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 02:30:07 PM »
Way past there. They have opened up some new roads that wee formerly gated. The wild natives seems to be spreading out of the feeders and setting up shop in the bigger creek. I pulled a few out of it.
FM

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 07:36:12 AM »
Great Pics Dave.
That native Brooke is Beautiful.
Seems like you had a great Adventure. 8)
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 07:07:22 PM »
I agree with all the above comments. There is a place near millersburg id like to try also, similar to those pictures. Unfortunately, the places for me like those are all at least a 45 minute drive.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 07:07:22 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com