155 Guests, 7 Users

Author Topic: We need more rain!!  (Read 521 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
We need more rain!!
« on: May 21, 2018, 12:31:58 PM »
Got out this AM just to survey my world.

Water is running fast and about a foot higher than being fishable (wade-able)...but I did find 4 small bass in an eddy and had something break my line.

Even more amazing...the water temp has dropped to 58F...now I realize that will some up quickly if we have some warm days but it should put the brakes on spawning for now... especially since another inch of rain is predicted this week...should really screw up my trib fishing for a while.

Oh well....there's plenty of grass to mow  >:(  ;D

Bill

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

We need more rain!!
« on: May 21, 2018, 12:31:58 PM »

Offline shiver318

• River Rat
Re: We need more rain!!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 09:58:13 AM »
Looks like I'm going to have to start two timing Miss Susky and find a lake!

Offline DRY

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 05:51:45 PM »
Well...we got it. There is another inch of rain in my yard rain gauge. Rained most of the day today. All the little farm creek feeders are running high and muddy.

Couldn't mow...couldn't garden...thought about the rifle range...but the creek was predicted to rise some more tonight ..AND I WANTED TO FISH!!

Thank goodness for Frog Togs  :)  ...it rained for most of the 2 1/2 hours I spent at the creek this afternoon. The main creek is just too fast for fishing. Almost no visibility from the stained (muddy) water. Water temp around 60F

But if you can find a little quiet eddy here and there...it pays to drop a worm into it...

Picked up 8 smallies in the rain...including this 3 lb. 4 oz. specimen.

Adverse conditions demand perseverance...you never know unless you try.

Bill

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 07:13:12 PM »
Nicely done Dry! Slow and steady win the race, unfortunately the currents here lately are not so slow.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 07:13:12 PM »

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 08:13:58 AM »
"But if you can find a little quiet eddy here and there...it pays to drop a worm into it..."

Like a spawning eddy??  :o

Please let the late spawners do their thing especially in the tribs. The tribs are cooler and have a better recruitment than the fungus filled river. They are the ones that will carry this year's YOY.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 08:33:09 AM by jonsie »

Offline DRY

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 10:08:18 AM »
...Please let the late spawners do their thing especially in the tribs. The tribs are cooler and have a better recruitment than the fungus filled river. They are the ones that will carry this year's YOY.

Thank you for the critique. You are correct.
At a water temp of 58F-60F with current flow rates...very few smallmouth have spawned where I fish. Hopefully they will soon and it will assist the YOY problem in the Susquehanna.
I have always supported closure of the Susquehanna due to its environmental pollution problems.

But...I have considered the error of my ways...and at age 73 I have decided to continue fishing tribs (as long as it is permitted). I have fished these streams for 30 years or more and what damage I do in the few areas that I fish is inconsiderable compared to all the other environmental factors. There remains a strong fishery where I fish, certainly not harmed by my intrusion over those last 30 years. You may call this selfish rationalization...but it is what it is.

Thanks again. Good topic for discussion.

Bill

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 11:27:23 AM »
Dry - I agree with you. One person fishing an area is really nothing, but if more pressure is put on these areas during these times.....well another story.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 11:27:23 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com